Kalkwasser issues

Geoology

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using kalkwasser for a few months now and the results have been great. Last week I pulled the stirrer out and cleaned it then added new ro and kalk. Now it seems the kalk is not saturated and the ph is down and the alk readings seem down a little. The PH in the stirrer is also down where before it would read 12.2 it is now reading around 9. I have been trying to find a TDS meter to check that but can't find one local. Any insight to why is seems so different after cleaning the tube and stirrer. This is the second time I have cleaned it and the first time I didn't have any problems. Can the kalk go bad if the bag is not fully sealed?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using kalkwasser for a few months now and the results have been great. Last week I pulled the stirrer out and cleaned it then added new ro and kalk. Now it seems the kalk is not saturated and the ph is down and the alk readings seem down a little. The PH in the stirrer is also down where before it would read 12.2 it is now reading around 9. I have been trying to find a TDS meter to check that but can't find one local. Any insight to why is seems so different after cleaning the tube and stirrer. This is the second time I have cleaned it and the first time I didn't have any problems. Can the kalk go bad if the bag is not fully sealed?
Is the pH probe in the solution permanently?

OP
OP
G

Geoology

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. When I cleaned the stirrer I did dip it in fresh ro to clean it. And if it was just the PH in the stirrer I wouldn't worry about it but the tank levels are now alot lower then what they were before. The PH in the tank before was 8.1-8.3 and the alk was close to 8.5. Now the PH is 7.8 to 8.1 and the alk is 7.5. The only thing that changed was cleaning the stirrer and adding new kalk.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. When I cleaned the stirrer I did dip it in fresh ro to clean it. And if it was just the PH in the stirrer I wouldn't worry about it but the tank levels are now alot lower then what they were before. The PH in the tank before was 8.1-8.3 and the alk was close to 8.5. Now the PH is 7.8 to 8.1 and the alk is 7.5. The only thing that changed was cleaning the stirrer and adding new kalk.
So, you add a predetermined amount of top off water through the stirrer? Perhaps your tank just needs more than you are giving it. I don’t think pH probes fare well in Kalkwasser solutions tbh. I keep saturated Kalkwasser in a glass section of the sump and it gets caked in stuff.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk should be kept in a tightly sealed container. When exposed to the atmosphere, it reacts with carbon dioxide and becomes insoluble calcium carbonate. You can test it's efficacy by checking the pH of a newly mixed batch. The pH should be a minimum of 12.

It's inexpensive so I would throw it out and buy new.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk should be kept in a tightly sealed container. When exposed to the atmosphere, it reacts with carbon dioxide and becomes insoluble calcium carbonate. You can test it's efficacy by checking the pH of a newly mixed batch. The pH should be a minimum of 12.

It's inexpensive so I would throw it out and buy new.

If the kalk is still ina powder form not clumping at all. Providing you have kept the lid on then it should be fine.

Am not suggesting you are suggesting the following.
As for kalk in a stirrer or reactor reacting to CO2 in them, this is simply not 100% true and a common myth.
The deltec and aqua medic stirrer are not air tight neither are some of the other makes because there is no need for a tightly fitting lid. Kalk forms a deposit on the surface soon after introduction which inhibits CO2 from getting further into the solution.
However, kalk is best covered as with the sitirrers above. I have the aqua medic kalk stirrer but have also had deltecs in the past both work equally well without precipitation of Kalk.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the kalk is still ina powder form not clumping at all. Providing you have kept the lid on then it should be fine.

Am not suggesting you are suggesting the following.
As for kalk in a stirrer or reactor reacting to CO2 in them, this is simply not 100% true and a common myth.
The deltec and aqua medic stirrer are not air tight neither are some of the other makes because there is no need for a tightly fitting lid. Kalk forms a deposit on the surface soon after introduction which inhibits CO2 from getting further into the solution.
However, kalk is best covered as with the sitirrers above. I have the aqua medic kalk stirrer but have also had deltecs in the past both work equally well without precipitation of Kalk.

The OP asked if powdered kalk can go bad if exposed to the air. It can.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry no he didn't he asked could it go bad if not fully sealed. Mine isn't and it dosent go bad.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ESV kalk and they state to keep it tightly sealed. Maybe take it up with them?
No mines fine I don't need to take it up with your supplier but then I don't use anything overly expensive with a fish or coral on the tub. BTW did the op state he used ESV kalk then? Anyway how different can it be apart from purity (mines 98% pure) or the price.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mines fine I don't need to take it up with your supplier but then I don't use anything overly expensive with a fish or coral on the tub. BTW did the op state he used ESV kalk then? Anyway how different can it be apart from purity (mines 98% pure) or the price.

lol

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV kalk. $25 for 400 grams. I can get 10 kilograms of good quality kalk for less than that . Mind you there are not pretty corals on the tub which is a bit of a bummer.

Screenshot_20220423-195352_Chrome.jpg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV kalk. $25 for 400 grams. I can get 10 kilograms of good quality kalk for less than that . Mind you there are not pretty corals on the tub which is a bit of a bummer.

Screenshot_20220423-195352_Chrome.jpg
Same cheap rubbish that I use, lol

Attachments

• 955263EC-554C-4D06-8F07-9043656D99EE.jpeg
    955263EC-554C-4D06-8F07-9043656D99EE.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 26

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning and refreshing the kalk in the stirrer should not negatively impact the strength of the kalk. In fact, it should help it be full strength again. Freshly added kalk in a stirrer is always full strength, assuming enough kalk is added, and it just goes downhill from there, or at least that has been my experience.

Your pH probe may be shot, or if you have left your kalk open to the air, it may have reacted with enough CO2 to convert to calcium carbonate. Kalkwasser and the soda lime they use in CO2 scrubbers is not all that different from each other. They both absorb CO2 if given the chance and will become inert over time.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning and refreshing the kalk in the stirrer should not negatively impact the strength of the kalk. In fact, it should help it be full strength again. Freshly added kalk in a stirrer is always full strength, assuming enough kalk is added, and it just goes downhill from there, or at least that has been my experience.

Your pH probe may be shot, or if you have left your kalk open to the air, it may have reacted with enough CO2 to convert to calcium carbonate. Kalkwasser and the soda lime they use in CO2 scrubbers is not all that different from each other. They both absorb CO2 if given the chance and will become inert over time.
As you know calcium carbonate is hardly soluble in water. The op dosent suggest it not dissolving as before or that its clumping which may suggest your theory of the PH probe being spent a likely situation. PH probes also have a hard life in Kalk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ESV kalk and they state to keep it tightly sealed. Maybe take it up with them?

Lol
Let’s focus on answers.

CO2 will slowly degrade calcium hydroxide.

The rate that CO2 can enter the container obviously depends on the tightness of the seal and how long you wait will impact how much degraded.

a lid need not be totally air tight to substantially slow CO2, but an open container will go bad fairly fast.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol
Let’s focus on answers.

CO2 will slowly degrade calcium hydroxide.

The rate that CO2 can enter the container obviously depends on the tightness of the seal and how long you wait will impact how much degraded.

a lid need not be totally air tight to substantially slow CO2, but an open container will go bad fairly fast.
Hanks, That's what I more or less suggested.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back