Kalkwasser mixer turns milky white

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I've noticed that my kalkwasser mixer turns milky white/turbid after a few days of adding new kalcium hydroxide.

When I add the powder it is turbid, which is normal of course, the next day its settled and the fluid is transparent whit a layer on the bottom.

But after a few days it goes milky/turbid, with no interference.

I push through around 4 litres per day (3,4 ml per minute) via a kamoer continuous doser. I have the deltec km 500 kalkwasser mixer, and I use two little fished kalkwasser mix (calcium hydroxide).

I still have a lot of powder on the bottom, and it does not make sense that it would be consumed left overs (I have only gone through around 200 grams of calcium hydroxide since cleaning.

I can also see that pH peak is lower today (8,15)compared to yesterday (8,3), even though there's a beautiful day and lots of windows/doors are wide open here at home.

Why does my kalkwasser mixer turn turbid after a few days? If it is consumed it seems to be depleted very quickly?

20210806_184046.jpg 20210806_184148.jpg

OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to read through my thread here: Why is Kalk so hard to dissolve?

Dennis
Thanks!
I have realised what the problem is, and probably has been the other times as well. And it pains me to admit, but the hose for the inlet to the Kamoer pump had somehow floated up to the surface. I realised it when I found myself looking at the non dripping kalkwasser outlet. The Kamoer was obviously just adding co2 rich air into the kalkwasser mixer. The milky turbid water was likely calcium carbonate and nothing else. A few 200 ml of fresh rodi water has now cleared up the water a bit

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back