OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently it's a 400g display, 300g sump,
Another 320g display is waiting to go online along with 2 50g lowboy frag tanks.

I'm using an avast marine kalk stirrer. Leaves about 1g a day for my ato to run.
And there is me struggling to sort this out

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No struggling required. :)

Double the dose and go from there.

A lot of reefing is trial and error, not precise calculated procedures.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your average evaporation loss per day?
Since you said your dosing daily and over 7 days you saw a drop of 1.5 dkh?
At least double your daily dose,
Or start dosing half of whatever your daily evaporation loss is. Test daily, then once you find a where it's leveled out you have you daily dosing needs for the next couple months.
I personally would jump to the half of the evaporation loss amount right now then work up or down from there.

Are you using anything like 3 part or water changes to stop the drop in dkh? I'd do that in the mean time until you can figure out your dosing amount. Then slowly increase the dkh over a couple weeks with water changes and manual dosing .

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 liter tub it lasts about 6 days but I don't use that for the kalk because my other half has the heating on when ever she feels like it I use a dosing pump instead

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 liter tub it lasts about 6 days but I don't use that for the kalk because my other half has the heating on when ever she feels like it I use a dosing pump instead
I'm sorry I don't follow along on the whole tub, other half ect. So you have kalk, an ato? And a doser available?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I don't follow along on the whole tub, other half ect. So you have kalk, an ato? And a doser available?
I think they are hinting they are married, and the evaporation changes thru out the year based on how much the heat is on, and the tub is a container for the limewater(kalk) with a dosing pump over using their ato....

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my case, I started kalk with it mixed into the ato, but this causes fluctuations in the amount dosed as evaporation fluctuate.

Now I have my ato with rodi water.
I have a kalkwasser stirrer, that is being fed rodi from a large storage reservoir via a kamoer X1 Pro T dose pump.
If you dont want to invest in a kalk stirrer, you can have an ato feeding from a container of rodi and a seperate container, mix rodi and kalk, then use a seperate doser to feed that into the system.
The x1pro t is very compact and can be run as a continuous duty doser like I do. It's half the price of the other kamoer continuous duty doser too!

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I use a 10 ltr tub with fully saturated limewater in it I then use a dosser to apply kalk to my sump I have a ato to keep salinity stable I have worked out how much I need through the last few weeks to keep it stable it’s at 455ml a day to keep it at 9.9 alk,450 cal, 1380 mag I’m having trouble with my mag now it’s using about 30ppm a week sometimes more would it be the increased alk and cal seen as they was originally at 8.3 and 450 the spike happened over a couple of weeks trying to sort out the right amount of kalk I needed I added too much when I realised I reduced it and it’s now been stable

Bph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently started dosing Kalk with a avast marine kalk stirer . I used there chart with 3/4 cup of kalk my evaporation is 11/4 gallons I am dosing ato through the kalk mixer my alkalinity is not staying up in fact it's dropping through our the day by 1 dkh what should I do to keep my alkalinity stable?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started dosing Kalk with a avast marine kalk stirer . I used there chart with 3/4 cup of kalk my evaporation is 11/4 gallons I am dosing ato through the kalk mixer my alkalinity is not staying up in fact it's dropping through our the day by 1 dkh what should I do to keep my alkalinity stable?
You can still apply whatever method you used to use, just less.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am try to raise my ph calcium reactors suppres your ph correct? Also kalkwasser is by far cheaper to use.
As another person said, use your original dosing method, only dial it down to compensate for the kalkwasser dosing. As an example I dose 5gal a day through my k1 from avast, and an additional 8ml per hour of tropic marins all for reef.

I recommend you spend the money and buy a kamoer x1 pro t dosing pump. 150.00 and be able to set the kalk dose to a steady amount vs relying on evaporation which fluctuates throughout the year.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you Luke the results of the tropics marina all for reef?
Yes I do. I have run kalk, calcium reactors,and red sea 3 part over the years. My last system 270g, I switched from redsea 3 part to tm all for reef. I had much more stable parameters, and only needed to dose a little extra magnesium every month.
I started with the pre made, then the diy mix, and 2+ years ago started importing the powder from germany. On my new system which currently is over 700g, and will be north of 1200gal by the end of the year I decided that a mix of kalkwasser for ph boost and tm all for reef was my best solution. I've ran these in combo for the past 14months and my alk,calcium, and ph have been rock solid. Only thing I've had to work on tuning in is my magnesium. I increase the all for reef by about 1ml per hr every 3-4 weeks to compensate for coral and coraline growth and increased demands.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back