Kalkwasser Question

Caleb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello,
I’m new to Kalkwasser and I plan to incorporate the Avast Kalk stirrer into my current system. The tank is fairly new so water changes are keeping up for now. I originally bought the Kamoer X1 Pro-T pump for this, but since then I’ve decided to buy a Kamoer F4 Pro so that I have the ability to dose other additives. My question is whether the F4 will be sufficient for the Kalkwasser? (Is the peristaltic pump necessary?) If so, I am still within the return timeframe of the X1, so I can recoop some money for more coral

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just tagging along as I’ve heard a stirrer isn’t needed, others say it helps
I’m not debating as I have no clue, just waiting to read the input.
How much kalk are you dosing daily anyway?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of stirrers compared to dosing from a settled reservoir, but a stirrer can work in many situations.

Some dosing pumps won't have the volume capacity per day needed to dose limewater/kalkwasser, which is similar in amount to your daily evaporation rate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would I try to figure out my daily alk requirements then try to dose accordingly or just set it up then tune it so alk stays stable?

Both work. I prefer the latter because changing alk and pH will change the daily alk demand.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for what its worth and as an N of 1, I bought, set up and then abandoned my Avast.
Not nearly enough benefit over settled carboy with a rack to keep the tube off the bottom

but best of luck with it

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’m new to Kalkwasser and I plan to incorporate the Avast Kalk stirrer into my current system. The tank is fairly new so water changes are keeping up for now. I originally bought the Kamoer X1 Pro-T pump for this, but since then I’ve decided to buy a Kamoer F4 Pro so that I have the ability to dose other additives. My question is whether the F4 will be sufficient for the Kalkwasser? (Is the peristaltic pump necessary?) If so, I am still within the return timeframe of the X1, so I can recoop some money for more coral
Same boat here, just bought an avast kalkstirrer and Kamoer X1 Pro, but looking to replace the pump. Reason being, in continuity mode, you can slow down the rate to 20-30mL/min, but you can’t set up a plan to dose just at night for instance. In plan mode 2 things, first, it doesn’t allow you to set up say, 9pm-9am, you have to enter 1 plan group from 9p-12am, and another from 12am-9am. Secondly, in plan mode, you can’t slow the rate down to 20-30mL/min.
I thought this pump would work out, but doesn’t have the capabilities. Im looking to return it and get a single channel pump that works for my application. Looking at the Versa, but not sure if it’s capabilities.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they are expensive but I have been using my Spectrapure liter meter 3 pumps for many years to pump both kalkwasser and RODI to my kalk stirrer.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back