Kalkwasser

Subonidio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slurry that supposedly is bad for the tank really is not !!! As long you keep parameters and know what are you doing

Watch Julian Sprung video about it he is one of the grandfathers of the hobby towns of knowledge.

Don't believe everything some one told you and run to do it....I only follow advice from guys like him

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slurry that supposedly is bad for the tank really is not !!! As long you keep parameters and know what are you doing

Watch Julian Sprung video about it he is one of the grandfathers of the hobby towns of knowledge.

Don't believe everything some one told you and run to do it....I only follow advice from guys like him
First and foremost...Welcome to the R2R community, if in fact you are new. If not...glad you came back!!

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Agree that the slurry is not necessarily bad...the issue at hand is that it is caustic. With saturated Kalk you kind of have a known commodity and a general understanding of how much Kalk is entering your water column. with the Slurry, could be 1x, 5x, 100x who knows. Just harder to control the variables when you are dumping and unknown amount of kalk into the ecosystem.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome. I mix it with sodium hydroxide and kill stuff with it.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't believe everything some one told you and run to do it....I only follow advice from guys like himW
What happened? you found a lot of slurry in your tank one day?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course if done correctly it can work with minimal risk. However i also believe the common recommendation to drip the saturated solution but not the slurry is generally a good one especially for someone new to kalk dosing as there is much less risk of spiking your ph or having supersaturated kalk slurry coming into contact with coral. Like most things in the hobby there there are many ways to do things.

Just an FYI not all the "grandfathers" made the same recommendations either. Lots of info on WWM where Bob Fenner recommends using the saturated solution most of the time rather than the slurry. He does also discuss using the slurry as an option depending on the scenario and if you are not adding so much to spike your ph.

In a high demand system the problem you can run into using slurry is not being able to dose enough without creating those huge spikes in PH that can go along with it in large amounts.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my super-duper DIY Kalk reactor!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome! Glad you joined (last year) and came over to say Hi and share about slurry

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works and simple for me :)

Doses about twenty times a day, small amounts. Magnetic stirrer comes on for minute beforehand... totally recommend.

Using a large kalk stirrer, external pump based, for the big tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back