Kamoer X1 Pro 2 - My Experience

1Tlew0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is 5 needed? The difference does not have a ton to do with new or old when it comes to frequency. It distance vs bandwidth.

Why would you want this to be shorter distance because 5 GHZ is shorter distance but more bandwidth and why would this item need more bandwidth? It does not require a ton of bandwidth.

Most people that have issues with wireless technology is because of two things I have seen with allot of products: Either they have a garbage wifi most likely from their internet provider or they use mesh. I am not sure what the issue is with mesh but google mesh and orbi seem to have the problems with compatibility.

Really has little to do with the devices you are trying to tie into your wireless in most cases.

I couldn’t agree more. Mine has been running for over a year without any issues and honestly, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with @shred5 on this. 5Ghz is not required for these devices so they don’t support it. Money talk…
2.4 is industry standard for smart devices not doing data transfer just status for a reason.

Mesh is a problem and should be avoided and it is usually due to incorrect implementation usually on user side - sorry. Get industry grade access points instead if reach is an issue and don’t try to save the work of cabling.

It is a must to separate 2.5 and 5Ghz networks as it causes trouble in many levels even with computers. Since most of you have a single VLAN at home the 2 SSID should be fine to talk to each other so once you have set up your device you can use whatever your preference on your phone/tablet.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my orbi what worked was to turn down the power on the 5g network and move the router far from the jebao doser. Orbi is similar in that you can’t separate ssids

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby has grown a lot over the past decade. I was willing to buy a wireless bridge and cobble together wifi on my apex in 2010, but now networked devices generally work SO WELL in other sectors of life. I should not have to try 10 times to get a pump to connect to wifi. I have a dedicated 2.4ghz network with its own name that I use to run this crap, but I shouldn't need to. The devices should absolutely work with residential mesh networks and should be able to dynamically switch between multiple networks if needed to establish a robust connection.

My wifi network is better than it's ever been. I have reliable signal everywhere. The fact that I can't use my nice mesh network for this is stupid. It's a sign that hardware developers are not keeping up with the times. Internet connectivity issues are for 2006, not 2021. If a smart phone or computer had these issues, nobody in their right mind would tolerate it.

This should all "just work."

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The hobby has grown a lot over the past decade. I was willing to buy a wireless bridge and cobble together wifi on my apex in 2010, but now networked devices generally work SO WELL in other sectors of life. I should not have to try 10 times to get a pump to connect to wifi. I have a dedicated 2.4ghz network with its own name that I use to run this crap, but I shouldn't need to. The devices should absolutely work with residential mesh networks and should be able to dynamically switch between multiple networks if needed to establish a robust connection.

My wifi network is better than it's ever been. I have reliable signal everywhere. The fact that I can't use my nice mesh network for this is stupid. It's a sign that hardware developers are not keeping up with the times. Internet connectivity issues are for 2006, not 2021. If a smart phone or computer had these issues, nobody in their right mind would tolerate it.

This should all "just work."

I knew it mesh.. Maybe you should talk to the manufacurer of your mesh.
I have never used a Kamoer pump but I knew the issues was mesh because almost every issue I hear with wifi device not working on wifi it is mesh.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew it mesh.. Maybe you should talk to who manufacurer of your mesh.
I have never used a Kamoer pump but I knew the issues was mesh because almost every issue I hear with wifi device not working on wifi it is mesh.
Dude, did you read my post? I have a SECOND NETWORK just to run this garbage hardware. My mesh network, which I use for literally everything else in my life, is amazing.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude, did you read my post? I have a SECOND NETWORK just to run this garbage hardware. My mesh network, which I use for literally everything else in my life, is amazing.

Do not know what to tell you to tell you contact CV support. Maybe they can help or you have a bad unit.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not know what to tell you to tell you contact CV support. Maybe they can help or you have a bad unit.

This is a broad problem in reefing gear though. I don't understand why every other industry manages to get this right, but reef gear can't manage it. It's been solved a thousand times over.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a broad problem in reefing gear though. I don't understand why every other industry manages to get this right, but reef gear can't manage it. It's been solved a thousand times over.
This is not a reefing hardware issue. Most smart devices are 2.4 GHz only.
It is due to a networking chip is cheaper, smaller antennas required, less energy required, signal travel further.
5 ghz support would require extra chip on the top of 2.4, would not improve functionality so you would end up paying extra for no reason.
you can’t compare it with a smartphone in any way. No processing power, next to none data transfer.
sorry but my prediction is this will not change anytime soon unless 2.4ghz will be discontinued.
Not Happening Ufc 211 GIF by UFC

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is due to a networking chip is cheaper, smaller antennas required, less energy required, signal travel further.
5 ghz support would require extra chip on the top of 2.4, would not improve functionality so you would end up paying extra for no reason.
you can’t compare it with a smartphone in any way. No processing power, next to none data transfer.
sorry but my prediction is this will not change anytime soon unless 2.4ghz will be discontinued.
Why not? Ultra low end tablets can do all of this for a hundred dollars.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to some extent it is a reefing issue. My reef gear has the worst network connectivity of all the devices I own. It's pathetic.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not? Ultra low end tablets can do all of this for a hundred dollars.
Ultra low end tables uses the little advantage 5ghz has your smart device is not. That tablet sends more data try the network in 5 minutes than your smart device in a year.
And to some extent it is a reefing issue. My reef gear has the worst network connectivity of all the devices I own. It's pathetic.
It is not true. Your smart device has a stronger signal than if it would be 5 ghz.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultra low end tables uses the little advantage 5ghz has your smart device is not. That tablet sends more data try the network in 5 minutes than your smart device in a year.

It is not true. Your smart device has a stronger signal than if it would be 5 ghz.
And yet, no other devices in my house perform so poorly. With the cost of consumer electronics as low as it is, the people making the hardware should be able to make it happen. Given how far the consumer electronics industry has advanced, this should be a matter of using off the shelf chips.

Right now Costco has Chromebook laptops for $149. The thought that the hardware is just too expensive to make wifi controlled devices of high quality is a laugh.

Modern networking capacity (the ability to dynamically shift between multiple networks and use mesh networks, for example) should be a thing, just like it is for other devices.

This problem has been solved in other industries. The kamoer pump should be plug and play with no headaches. So should the other items. This should all just work.

I reiterate, it's pathetic.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kasa smart home iot devices, like the little $20 maximum plugs and switches, work great on mesh.
Reef gear is way behind.
The issue is not 2,4ghz vs 5 but inability to play nice with modern network gear.

it’s not surprising, niche hardware always lags. Reefing iPhone apps are often buggy and terrible too.

dzeleski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yet, no other devices in my house perform so poorly. With the cost of consumer electronics as low as it is, the people making the hardware should be able to make it happen. Given how far the consumer electronics industry has advanced, this should be a matter of using off the shelf chips.

Right now Costco has Chromebook laptops for $149. The thought that the hardware is just too expensive to make wifi controlled devices of high quality is a laugh.

Modern networking capacity (the ability to dynamically shift between multiple networks and use mesh networks, for example) should be a thing, just like it is for other devices.

This problem has been solved in other industries. The kamoer pump should be plug and play with no headaches. So should the other items. This should all just work.

I reiterate, it's pathetic.

Your lack of understanding of how things work is making you believe all hardware is equivalent. Its not all the same. Your posts are unhinged, baseless rants.

Do you think the processor in a chromebook is the same as the SOC thats within a dosing pump? Ever notice how long a chromebook takes to boot up? Notice how your dosing pump boots within seconds? The processing capabilities within an SOC thats running something like a dosing pump has made compromises to be reliable, have near 100% uptime and reliability. A $150 dollar chromebook is not built for that. These small SOCs are limited in hardware as well as software libraries that support them, you order these off the shelf in bulk and they cannot be customized or changed without significant costs. An SOC is not running a fully featured operating system, it has a very small amount of microcode that immediately executes code on power on that starts looping. Its completely different from the architecture within a laptop. You cannot just slap a raspi in a product like this and call it done, it doesnt work that way.

These pumps do not need to perform quickly, they just need to perform. It does not need to browse the internet and watch videos. It needs to be accurate and reliable enough to dose liquids without killing animals in a tank. There is no reason for them to support 5ghz when every ISR on the planet supports 2.4 as well. The reason why your "mesh" network doesnt work is because its crap.

My three X1 pros have been dead reliable with zero issues since I bought them about a year ago. They dose every hour of every day. Other then checking and adjusting calibration every few months they have been completely reliable and I basically forget they exist. I have a modern network at my home that also runs my smart home devices. Everything works perfectly because its a quality piece of equipment.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the initial connection headaches, my X1 Pro's have been rock solid, no issues other than some app glitches here or there where I just have to restart the app. I would purchase again.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your lack of understanding of how things work is making you believe all hardware is equivalent. Its not all the same. Your posts are unhinged, baseless rants.

Do you think the processor in a chromebook is the same as the SOC thats within a dosing pump? Ever notice how long a chromebook takes to boot up? Notice how your dosing pump boots within seconds? The processing capabilities within an SOC thats running something like a dosing pump has made compromises to be reliable, have near 100% uptime and reliability. A $150 dollar chromebook is not built for that. These small SOCs are limited in hardware as well as software libraries that support them, you order these off the shelf in bulk and they cannot be customized or changed without significant costs. An SOC is not running a fully featured operating system, it has a very small amount of microcode that immediately executes code on power on that starts looping. Its completely different from the architecture within a laptop. You cannot just slap a raspi in a product like this and call it done, it doesnt work that way.

These pumps do not need to perform quickly, they just need to perform. It does not need to browse the internet and watch videos. It needs to be accurate and reliable enough to dose liquids without killing animals in a tank. There is no reason for them to support 5ghz when every ISR on the planet supports 2.4 as well. The reason why your "mesh" network doesnt work is because its crap.

My three X1 pros have been dead reliable with zero issues since I bought them about a year ago. They dose every hour of every day. Other then checking and adjusting calibration every few months they have been completely reliable and I basically forget they exist. I have a modern network at my home that also runs my smart home devices. Everything works perfectly because its a quality piece of equipment.

Not to mention if they made if work with every type of wireless standard vs the most common the price would be more expensive and people would complain omg reef equipment is so expensive.

Also comparing any reefing device that sells maybe in the hundreds or so to something that sell most likely hundreds of thousands or more like Kasa. Come on also a company that is owned by TP-link which is a network company.

I do agree with some the apps for some of the reef equipment is garbage. Again it comes to size of community but some is just pure garbage.

There is a reason Corporations do not use mesh.

My issue is people have issues and they are quick top blame the device and not their wireless router. To many people rely on the garbage the isp gives them or they go out and buy some cheap residential wifi router.

Sometimes a company does send out a bad unit or a unit with a bad wifi chip but they are all off the shelf wifi chips no reef equipment company makes their own chips. Contact the manufacturer and see what they say first. Just because someone got a bad unit doesn't mean the units are all garbage. People would rather complain than just doing what is right and letting a company make it right.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree with some the apps for some of the reef equipment is garbage. Again it comes to size of community but some is just pure garbage.

Sometimes a company does send out a bad unit or a unit with a bad wifi chip but they are all off the shelf wifi chips no reef equipment company makes their own chips. Contact the manufacturer and see what they say first. Just because someone got a bad unit doesn't mean the units are all garbage. People would rather complain than just doing what is right and letting a company make it right.

Since this is a user experience thread, I'm sharing that the user experience does not meet my expectations.

I would never buy another one of these pumps. I think the hardware and software should work easily out of the box. This required significant hoop jumping before it was set up properly.

People sure are defensive about this one.

This is a discount pump and like basically everything else, if you buy the discount version, prepare for the lowest quality experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back