kanaplex, metroplex, Focus dosing instructions

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I noticed one of Wrasses was bloated and today he's crapping white/ clear stringy stuff and acting lethargic. Did some research and ordered these two meds and binder because I believe I'm dealing with a bacterial or fungal infection. My plan is to mix with some frozen food and feed to the tank to see if it helps.

Questions. Can I mix all three together or should I dose kanaplex first then metro or vice versa?
how much should I dose daily split between two feedings?
any other tips or tricks are much appreciated!

Thank you!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The symptoms you are describing are more in line with internal parasites / intestinal worms.

Best treatment for that is Metroplex, using Seachem Focus to bind the medication to food and prevent it from leaching out.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The symptoms you are describing are more in line with internal parasites / intestinal worms.

Best treatment for that is Metroplex, using Seachem Focus to bind the medication to food and prevent it from leaching out.

+1 It's best to feed the meds (like you plan to) to get them directly to the source of the problem... in this case it's the gut.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for the advice. so do I feed with the binder and metroplex for 10 days, 2 feedings a day? Do I need to do any water changes and/ or disable carbon, GFO. UV and skimmer during this period.

Just looking for the keys to success so i don't see the rest of my fish perish.

Thanks!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. so do I feed with the binder and metroplex for 10 days, 2 feedings a day? Do I need to do any water changes and/ or disable carbon, GFO. UV and skimmer during this period.

Just looking for the keys to success so i don't see the rest of my fish perish.

Thanks!

Feed once a day.. it might take longer than 10 days as some intestinal worms can be very stubborn. Leave all filtration running including carbon just in case any of the metro leaks out.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also go humbles route.

If you go kanaplex method combine it with furan 2 for a synergistic treatment.

And qt tank was not mentioned, so are you dosing this in a DT or qt?

I'm going to do this in the DT which consists of various hard, soft corals and inverts. Nothing fancy. Unfortunately I have a number of gobies with pistol shrimp and they have borrowed well under the rocks so it would be major project to get all the fish out and put them in a QT for treatment.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to do this in the DT which consists of various hard, soft corals and inverts. Nothing fancy. Unfortunately I have a number of gobies with pistol shrimp and they have borrowed well under the rocks so it would be major project to get all the fish out and put them in a QT for treatment.

You'll definitely want to soak the medications in food then, using Seachem Focus to help prevent them from leaching out & damaging your corals/inverts. I would also run carbon as an added insurance policy. Use Metroplex for sure; you can also food soak Kanaplex if you want to treat for a possible internal infection.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll definitely want to soak the medications in food then, using Seachem Focus to help prevent them from leaching out & damaging your corals/inverts. I would also run carbon as an added insurance policy. Use Metroplex for sure; you can also food soak Kanaplex if you want to treat for a possible internal infection.

could I alternate by feeding Metroplex soaked food in the morning and then feed Kanaplex food in the evening for 10 days. Just to cover all the bases or am I asking for trouble with my corals, inverts and/or fish?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could I alternate by feeding Metroplex soaked food in the morning and then feed Kanaplex food in the evening for 10 days. Just to cover all the bases or am I asking for trouble with my corals, inverts and/or fish?

Yes; that would actually be ideal. :)

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes; that would actually be ideal. :)

Thanks for all the advice. I have one more question about feeding. I defrosted some of my frozen food and mixed in the proper amount of Metro and Focus then refroze it back into cube form.

When it comes time to feed this medicated frozen food to the fish. Can I defrost it first and dump into the power head? this is how I currently feed the fish which is due to the gobies not willing to swim up to the top of the tank to feed so power head solves this problem by blowing the food to the lower level of the tank. My concern is by defrosting the food and blowing it around the tank the Metro will release into the water column which I understand is bad for the inverts and corals.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice. I have one more question about feeding. I defrosted some of my frozen food and mixed in the proper amount of Metro and Focus then refroze it back into cube form.

When it comes time to feed this medicated frozen food to the fish. Can I defrost it first and dump into the power head? this is how I currently feed the fish which is due to the gobies not willing to swim up to the top of the tank to feed so power head solves this problem by blowing the food to the lower level of the tank. My concern is by defrosting the food and blowing it around the tank the Metro will release into the water column which I understand is bad for the inverts and corals.

So long as you use the correct amount of Focus (1 scoop per 1 tbsp of food) to bind the medication, then broadcast feeding shouldn't be a problem.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might absorb better in fresh raw shrimp. When I used met and kana, I used one one day and the other the next and so on. It was easier for me because I was soaking nori to feed.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might absorb better in fresh raw shrimp. When I used met and kana, I used one one day and the other the next and so on. It was easier for me because I was soaking nori to feed.

I like to food soak using pellets, if the fish will eat that.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to food soak using pellets, if the fish will eat that.

I'm using LRS Reef Frenzy: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/reef-frenzy.html

I softened up a table spoon of Frenzy in the fridge. Mixed in either the kana or metro with the focus, refroze it then cut into portions my fish will consume in a few minutes. Planning on feeding each for 10 days (Metro in the morning and Kana at night). For extra safety I'm running two BRS canisters of carbon instead on one to hopefully soak up any meds that leach into the water column.

hopefully this will do the trick and I'll have health/ happy fish one again but sadly the one wrasse that was noticeably sick passed away last night : (

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back