Keep BioPellets Durring Reactor Repair/Replacement?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AKTank
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 17, 2013
Messages
79
Reaction score
9
Location
Juneau, AK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biopellet reactor canister is leaking so I have repair it or get a replacement. In the mean time, should I keep the used pellets? It may be several days to weeks. How should store them? I was thinking I should keep them in a media container in the sump under the inflow pipes and agitate them as often as possible.

Also, I'm planning to change brands of pellets. The ones I have are too small. They get stuck in the plate at the bottom of the reactor, restricting the flow and intern the tumble. I'm assuming I should make this change slowly by adding the new kind to the old?

Other thoughts on this situation are welcome. Thanks.
 
A media container in the sump sounds good to me to keep the bacteria on them alive.

The old ones can help seed the new ones, but I'm not sure of the best way to swap them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new