Keep Clownfish Pair Together or Separate?

FLPilot3190

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2023
Messages
45
Reaction score
7
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure whether this should be posted here or over in the fish disease forum but here goes nothing… My female clownfish developed popeye overnight. Her eye is slightly cloudy and is larger than the other, though not nearly as bad as some photos I’ve seen online. I removed her from the display to treat her in quarantine with Erythromycin and Kanaplex.

My question is, since she is half of a mated pair should I remove the male from the display as well and keep them together in quarantine or is it best to treat her separately? They rarely leave each other’s side and are laying eggs basically nonstop.
 
That can be a tough question. Part of me would want to keep them together and part of me says treat her and leave him behind. Guess if I could catch him easy I would keep them together. My clowns are friendly and I can remove them by hand and they always will stay with each other so one easy move
 
That’s kind of where I’m at. I can see pros and cons with either option. It should be pretty easy to catch the male. It only took me two or three minutes to catch the female today. It was significantly easier to catch her in my 110 than it was in my old 25 gal. Just trying to weigh whether the potential stress of them being separated is worth it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new