Keep it Simple! No the more the more better!

How Do You Run Your Sump?

• Rocket Science -Need a PHD to understand your sump.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple ways to run a successful sump. What is your way. Super simple could be a open tank just a refugium and return. Simple would be the traditional 3 camber starter sump with a filter sock, skimmer chamber and return section.

Last edited:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My super sophisticated sump on the six y.o. 36 gallon bowfront. :squinting-face-with-tongue:
IMG_2175.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are multiple ways to run a successful sump. What is your way.
Curious - it's not clear what the difference between simple and very simple is? Also - I think you can do it (not sure) it would nice to see 'no sump'

OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have as simple a sump/refugium as there is; a 30 gallon tank with rock, sand and macroalgae. Return pump and drain in sump tank.
IMG_20220125_171254360.jpg
I love it! This is what I mean by very simple

OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - it's not clear what the difference between simple and very simple is? Also - I think you can do it (not sure) it would nice to see 'no sump'
Done

OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue what simple is…I’ve got a few UV sterilizers, a carbon reactor, bio reactor, bio bricks, apex, skimmer and ato.

I would say on the complex side, most reefers would recognize everything and know how it works, but more than just the basic traditional sump. @vlangel would be very simple which is kinda the way I have mine

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say on the complex side, most reefers would recognize everything and know how it works, but more than just the basic traditional sump. @vlangel would be very simple which is kinda the way I have mine
I like very simple because then less can go wrong. The less equipment and moving parts, the less likelihood of something breaking. The bio filter is what does the work so all the sump tank needs is oxygen and light.

OP
OP
Cichlid Dad

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like very simple because then less can go wrong. The less equipment and moving parts, the less likelihood of something breaking. The bio filter is what does the work so all the sump tank needs is oxygen and light.
And I will add to yours, if you go on a trip and have someone watch the reef, it's way easier for them to fix an issue over the phone .

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I will add to yours, if you go on a trip and have someone watch the reef, it's way easier for them to fix an issue over the phone .
I actually put this to the test this past summer! My husband and I rode our motorcycles from PA to Alaska which took 23 days. I put an auto flake feeder on the tank and had family come in twice a week to feed frozen food and fill up the ATO. It was scary but the tank did just fine. I did not even have to talk anyone through anything over the phone!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back