Keep me postitive

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uugggghhh I don't need any advice, or do I? I think I just a lift me up. And maybe this will help someone new. Maybe I mention something in here that someone else hasn't though about either but is thinking about starting a reef tank.

My whole life I've been in love with the ocean. Its literally the only place I ever felt at peace, at home. Hatteras Island if we want to get specific about which body of salt water heals my soul. I always wanted to bring a piece of it home with me every time I left. Since I was a baby. My mom always calls me her ocean baby, her mermaid. My husband and I were even supposed to buy a house down there but the economy flipped just as we were ready. I was lucky enough to find a spouse that had the same end goal as me. To end up on my favorite island in the entire world. Anyway, I figured now was the time in my life to start my reef tank.

That being said...being new to this hobby is hard! I've spent YEARS researching, watching, preparing myself for all of the things that could happen. I would lay out all of the things I thought I'd need and add it all up. I would decide that it was the time to make this happen and then back out.
Kids, travel, ups and downs in life, it was never the right time. It figures that I'd decide that now would be the right time being that everything is stupid expensive but I knew this hobby wasn't cheap to begin with and it's a massive commitment. I thought I was ready. My husband and I worked out the ins and outs. Who'd take care of what and splitting the responsibility. I'm a mom and the majority of household and kid stuff falls to me. Not to mention we have a whole unofficial farm here. Either way we were ready. What's one more thing on my plate.

The things I wasn't prepared for were the expenses people rarely talk about and things I didnt even see coming. Storage barrels and wheels and how long can different salts be stored for in advance for water changes. Saw for my husband for cutting rock for the scape. I'm sure I could use for corals which I haven't even purchased yet.
CORDS. CORDS EVERYWHERE. I am super OCD. So I had to buy a cabinet today to hide those cords and a little track thing so the cords could neatly make it to the cabinet. Back to cabinet, it had to be one that my cat couldn't jump on and make it into my tank. Cat- didn't even consider it. I have 4 rescues. None of them have ever tried to get to my betta which sits right on the counter and is easily accessed. So since setting up my reefer, my 11 year old cat has tried to jump INTO the tank twice. There's not even fish in there. So thinking I have to buy a lid now. I purchased a red sea mesh lid and its the worst thing I've ever bought. Saggy, flimsy, sad looking and puts my spirit in the dumps. An acrylic lid made by top lids is now out of the question because of the things I had to buy today including a
power strip with individual shut off buttons.

Things I still have to buy are a Uv fliter and a protein skimmer. I'm sure there's tons more. So if you have suggestions for what else I'll need just lay them on me today while I'm already feeling sour.

I only have the filter socks and sponge that came with my red sea xl 200. I've purchased 4 wave makers, 4 heaters, inkbird 308s, AIO fluval quarantine tank, protien skimmer for that, pods and phyto, which both arrived dead.
Tons of frozen fish food that my fish won't even eat. Garlic to try to entice them. Nope won't touch it. All 4 of them have been in quarantine for weeks.
I also purchased carbon and mesh bags for those. Pipettes, droppers, test kits including one Hana checker.
Some people say they do things on the cheap, I'd love to know how because I'm 4k in and I'm not even close. Granted my tank is what cost me the most. I'm not giving up, I just feel a little deflated. So any helpful input about what else I need and how to save some money would be appreciated.

aqua.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your head up!! I’m just starting off with a new build patience is a virtue. As far as eating goes, with my current tank I ask the LFS what they’re feeding the fish currently. Feed them that in QT and mix in what you want to feed them little my little start off 90%-10% and then go until there eating your food with no issue.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have all been there! Your love of the sea and saltwater aquariums is all that is needed. Let’s see some pics and get some parameters. You are one of us reefers. We are going to help you succeed!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Uugggghhh I don't need any advice, or do I? I think I just a lift me up. And maybe this will help someone new. Maybe I mention something in here that someone else hasn't though about either but is thinking about starting a reef tank.

My whole life I've been in love with the ocean. Its literally the only place I ever felt at peace, at home. Hatteras Island if we want to get specific about which body of salt water heals my soul. I always wanted to bring a piece of it home with me every time I left. Since I was a baby. My mom always calls me her ocean baby, her mermaid. My husband and I were even supposed to buy a house down there but the economy flipped just as we were ready. I was lucky enough to find a spouse that had the same end goal as me. To end up on my favorite island in the entire world. Anyway, I figured now was the time in my life to start my reef tank.

That being said...being new to this hobby is hard! I've spent YEARS researching, watching, preparing myself for all of the things that could happen. I would lay out all of the things I thought I'd need and add it all up. I would decide that it was the time to make this happen and then back out.
Kids, travel, ups and downs in life, it was never the right time. It figures that I'd decide that now would be the right time being that everything is stupid expensive but I knew this hobby wasn't cheap to begin with and it's a massive commitment. I thought I was ready. My husband and I worked out the ins and outs. Who'd take care of what and splitting the responsibility. I'm a mom and the majority of household and kid stuff falls to me. Not to mention we have a whole unofficial farm here. Either way we were ready. What's one more thing on my plate.

The things I wasn't prepared for were the expenses people rarely talk about and things I didnt even see coming. Storage barrels and wheels and how long can different salts be stored for in advance for water changes. Saw for my husband for cutting rock for the scape. I'm sure I could use for corals which I haven't even purchased yet.
CORDS. CORDS EVERYWHERE. I am super OCD. So I had to buy a cabinet today to hide those cords and a little track thing so the cords could neatly make it to the cabinet. Back to cabinet, it had to be one that my cat couldn't jump on and make it into my tank. Cat- didn't even consider it. I have 4 rescues. None of them have ever tried to get to my betta which sits right on the counter and is easily accessed. So since setting up my reefer, my 11 year old cat has tried to jump INTO the tank twice. There's not even fish in there. So thinking I have to buy a lid now. I purchased a red sea mesh lid and its the worst thing I've ever bought. Saggy, flimsy, sad looking and puts my spirit in the dumps. An acrylic lid made by top lids is now out of the question because of the things I had to buy today including a
power strip with individual shut off buttons.

Things I still have to buy are a Uv fliter and a protein skimmer. I'm sure there's tons more. So if you have suggestions for what else I'll need just lay them on me today while I'm already feeling sour.

I only have the filter socks and sponge that came with my red sea xl 200. I've purchased 4 wave makers, 4 heaters, inkbird 308s, AIO fluval quarantine tank, protien skimmer for that, pods and phyto, which both arrived dead.
Tons of frozen fish food that my fish won't even eat. Garlic to try to entice them. Nope won't touch it. All 4 of them have been in quarantine for weeks.
I also purchased carbon and mesh bags for those. Pipettes, droppers, test kits including one Hana checker.
Some people say they do things on the cheap, I'd love to know how because I'm 4k in and I'm not even close. Granted my tank is what cost me the most. I'm not giving up, I just feel a little deflated. So any helpful input about what else I need and how to save some money would be appreciated.
Keep it simple. There are components you will want to add later.
  1. Aquarium/Tank
    You need to decide where you want to put your aquarium, determine what size you want or may only have room for, whether you want an acrylic or glass tank, and choose a style that will best fit into the spot you have picked out to display it.
  2. Lighting
    The type of lighting you choose will be based on the type of system you have planned to set up, as well as what kind of livestock you will be keeping in it.
  3. Skimmers, Filters & Filtration Equipment
    Once again, what type of system you are going to set up will help you determine which kind of filters and filtration system to choose.
  4. Powerhead
    Depending on the size of your aquarium, the use of one or several powerheads is an excellent way to provide good water circulation throughout the system.
  5. Live Rock & Substrate
    Here you need to decide on what type of material you want on the bottom of the tank, as well as whether you want to start with a live or non-living medium. Live Rock plays an important role in a marine tank. Many marine animals, fish in particular, can be quite territorial. It is important to provide ample shelter or places where the animals can hide, sleep, and avoid potential problems with aggression from other tankmates in the confined space of an aquarium.
  6. Sea Salt Mix/Saltwater & Hydrometer
    Sea salts are what make an aquarium a saltwater or marine aquarium. Also referred to as a salinity tester, this item measures the specific gravity or salt content of the water.
  7. Heater & Thermometer
    For smaller aquariums one heater works well, but for larger systems the use of multiple units is advised. With stick-on, floating, multi-function remote digital sensor, and many other types of units to pick from, the material a thermometer is made of is an important factor when choosing one as well.
  8. Air Pump & Air Stones
    Only needed if you are going to run a piece of equipment that requires these items, Or for quarantining/medicating fish
  9. Test Kits, Additives & Supplements
    For live rock and reef tank systems, calcium (a.k.a. limewater/kalkwasser) needs to be added. Other supplemental vitamins or additives that are beneficial to the health of certain marine inhabitants you may be keeping, such a iodine for crustaceans, are important as well.
  10. Maintenance Tools & Supplies
    This category includes having items on hand such as a various sized plastic buckets or containers, tank cleaning tools such as a siphon tube/hose, an algae scraper or magnet, as well as nets of different sizes, spare equipment replacements parts, and so on. A good way to keep track of what maintenance tasks you have preformed and when is to keep a log book or record of everything you do.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a beautiful hobby but sure has its highs and lows at times. Everything looks great and you go to sleep and wake up the next morning and BAM there is a problem. I do think the good points far outweigh the bad moments. It is so peaceful to sit in front of the tank with a nice drink and forget about all the troubles in life.

You started out with a great tank choice but keep it simple initially with your add ons. Do you need a UV right away? Not really. Filter sock and skimmer are fine. Put some rock rubble in the sump too.

Try and wait 4 months before you add corals and turn the lights on to give your tank time to develop biodiversity and microfauna. Fish don't need light. Buy good test kits like Hanna and focus on your parameters to keep things stabil. When you turn your lights in the ugly phases will be much more manageable too.

Don't get discouraged we have all felt bummed out at times but now you have aquatic friends depending on you.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being “Super OCD” means take your time and do it right.
Think it through, think of what could possibly go wrong and the remedy.
read, read, and then read some more.
Some things are needed, others are wants,
You need to determine where you want to be and what it’s going to take to get you there.
Know that we have all walks of life here.
Some people have no problem dropping thousands on a skimmer and others will DIY one.
Good luck and welcome aboard!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first things first . Welcome ….
it’s very intimidating for sure . But the best you can do is budget . Keep your eyes open in classified sections for used equipment to save a few bucks .
once the main tank , filtration and lighting is purchased .
next work in substrate , rocks ,

next is salt , mixing tote ( brute trash can works best )

fill with water , arrange the rocks how ever you want .
Run all circulation as it will run for the future .
let it cycle !
You have time to research and purchase more as it will take some time before it’s ready for live stock .

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef. It’s a wonderful hobby with its own ups and downs. I started last year after a bit of research on feng shui which suggested yo have an aquarium in your house. I started doing a lot of research on freshwater and decided it just looks bland. Then I stumble upon this guide which pretty much convinced me to start my own reef tank. You don’t need huge tanks or heavy equipment to have a successful reef tank but it helps. I hope this guide will help you out.

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry yall. I guess I forgot to mention I already have my tank set up. It's been running for 2 weeks already. I also have had my quarantine tank set up and have fish in there. Thank you for all of the kindness. It means the world right now.
20220307_131445.jpg

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a beautiful hobby but sure has its highs and lows at times. Everything looks great and you go to sleep and wake up the next morning and BAM there is a problem. I do think the good points far outweigh the bad moments. It is so peaceful to sit in front of the tank with a nice drink and forget about all the troubles in life.

You started out with a great tank choice but keep it simple initially with your add ons. Do you need a UV right away? Not really. Filter sock and skimmer are fine. Put some rock rubble in the sump too.

Try and wait 4 months before you add corals and turn the lights on to give your tank time to develop biodiversity and microfauna. Fish don't need light. Buy good test kits like Hanna and focus on your parameters to keep things stabil. When you turn your lights in the ugly phases will be much more manageable too.

Don't get discouraged we have all felt bummed out at times but now you have aquatic friends depending on you.
I dont drink but maybe I should start

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents live out on Hatteras. Let me tell you, there is no way on earth I would have a reef there. The hurricane/nor easter related power outage would have rebooting the tank once a year.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say that patience is key in this hobby. What they don't say is that sometimes you need to apply some of that patience you yourself rather than the tank. The initial setup and getting the tank established can often be the tallest hurdle that you need to get over. Try not to focus on how much more you think you need to do or equipment that you still want to purchase. Look at how far you have come towards achieving something that you have always wanted. Now you are finally doing it, and you are almost there. You've got this.

And welcome, I'm glad you are here.
Happy Cheering GIF by Spider-Man

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned don't go fancy with the hardware until you need it (a UV was mentioned as an example). You don't need all the bells and whistles to run a successful tank. It was also mentioned to ask the seller what the fish were being fed at the store. I think some fish are more amenable to eating whatever floats by their face but I'm sure a lot of fish don't do that and don't necessarily recognize food they haven't seen before as food.

One thing I wish I had done starting out (and I'm only 8 months in) is waiting to get corals until the uglies were either gone or clearly diminishing (as they are for me now). It's easy to do maintenance of the uglies by siphoning, scrubbing rock, etc. when there are just fish. The minute you glue down corals it becomes infinitely harder and more time consuming. Sadly the first two corals I bought and glued down died (the tank was not read) and the ones I have purchased since I haven't glued down yet which was good because when the uglies crept in at about 6-1/2 months I was able to move the frags around to deal with the algae. It was still a pain and not having them would've been easier but being able to move them helped. :) You are right about the costs, especially the hidden costs or the ones you don't anticipate. I think the lid is a good idea regardless of your cat. Fish jump out especially if startled. My lid has saved a couple fish. Keep your chin up. It is a process. Don't expect an instant reef. I think we set our expectations to high too soon as newbies. This hobby is no different than any other hobby. It takes learning and hard work to excel.

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the skimmer topic, I removed mine about a month ago, and my corals haven’t looked better in the 4 years I’ve had the tank running. Nitrate and Phosphate are more stable and in the ranges that I seek. So, instead of spending big $ on one, maybe have a go without one for a time.

Every tank is different though. I never imagined not having one…and here I am.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it sounds like you are buying much more than you need. A reef tank needs light, water motion, and surfaces for stuff to grow on. Anything else is just a way to do less water changes or manual work. I've gotten into the habit of really thinking hard about whether I need something or whether it's just "that's how it's been done" and as a result I've been slowly pulling pieces of equipment out of my old tank. First the filter floss went... Nothing changed. Then the heater was redundant because the pumps on that tank + lights keep it hot enough (maybe too hot in the summer). Next I might pull carbon too because I haven't changed it in a while and nothing's dead yet.

The things that stick out to me are the skimmer and the UV. You say you need to buy them, but why? What specific problem are you going to solve with them? Very few early tanks have too much nutrient buildup, and you can always add that skimmer later. UV for what? You are quarantining your fish, so disease is out. Pods, don't need to buy IMO unless you are trying to feed a mandarin. They will come in on corals for free. Phyto, again for what? You have nothing to feed. And also how did you know it's dead?

Take a step back, feed the fish. Takes time to build a reef not money. The good thing is much of this equipment will last you. Hanna checkers, tanks, cabinets, tools, can be reused as much as you want. Save money by not buying anymore stuff until you actually have a solid philosophy behind the purchase.

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef. It’s a wonderful hobby with its own ups and downs. I started last year after a bit of research on feng shui which suggested yo have an aquarium in your house. I started doing a lot of research on freshwater and decided it just looks bland. Then I stumble upon this guide which pretty much convinced me to start my own reef tank. You don’t need huge tanks or heavy equipment to have a successful reef tank but it helps. I hope this guide will help you

Being “Super OCD” means take your time and do it right.
Think it through, think of what could possibly go wrong and the remedy.
read, read, and then read some more.
Some things are needed, others are wants,
You need to determine where you want to be and what it’s going to take to get you there.
Know that we have all walks of life here.
Some people have no problem dropping thousands on a skimmer and others will DIY one.
Good luck and welcome aboard!
Thank you so much!

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it sounds like you are buying much more than you need. A reef tank needs light, water motion, and surfaces for stuff to grow on. Anything else is just a way to do less water changes or manual work. I've gotten into the habit of really thinking hard about whether I need something or whether it's just "that's how it's been done" and as a result I've been slowly pulling pieces of equipment out of my old tank. First the filter floss went... Nothing changed. Then the heater was redundant because the pumps on that tank + lights keep it hot enough (maybe too hot in the summer). Next I might pull carbon too because I haven't changed it in a while and nothing's dead yet.

The things that stick out to me are the skimmer and the UV. You say you need to buy them, but why? What specific problem are you going to solve with them? Very few early tanks have too much nutrient buildup, and you can always add that skimmer later. UV for what? You are quarantining your fish, so disease is out. Pods, don't need to buy IMO unless you are trying to feed a mandarin. They will come in on corals for free. Phyto, again for what? You have nothing to feed. And also how did you know it's dead?

Take a step back, feed the fish. Takes time to build a reef not money. The good thing is much of this equipment will last you. Hanna checkers, tanks, cabinets, tools, can be reused as much as you want. Save money by not buying anymore stuff until you actually have a solid philosophy behind the purchase.
I like this. I have not run a skimmer or UV in my time of reefing, and I don't think my tank would be better with either of those! I have also not used filter socks, floss, carbon, or any of that stuff. Granted some of it can help with specific problems, but solve those when you get there!

I assure you that things will continue to improve from here. It all starts out so overwhelming but in a few months you will feel like an expert!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back