Keep on losing BTA's

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 20g anemone tank back in January. I have RF nems, zoas and some LPS's that are doing great but almost a year later I can't keep BTA's. The tank is almost a year old and stable, yet when I add a RBTA from my main tank or I buy from the lfs they don't last. Everything else in the tank is flourishing but the BTA's. I'm using Kessils and T5's on the main tank and a chinese black box (Viparspectra) on the nem tank. I feel bad for the clowns because soon after they take to the nem and host, it perishes.

tested 12/4
Mg- 1410
Ca - 440
Alk - 9
No3 - 10
Po4 - 0.01
Temp - 78

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mags a bit high as well. But idk if that would effect them.

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think lighting or your clown is pestering them too much. Don't know if this would kill one but certainly keep them deflated for days at a time.

RunBikeSwim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend buying a BTA that has split from a local reefer. Tank bred/split ones seem to do better for me. The bigger the BTA, the better, since most clowns will be rough on its new home. Good luck.

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the RBTA's that were added to this tank were splits from the main tank. The only one that wasn't was a green BTA I bought from the lfs a month or so ago that died this past week. I added another RBTA split from the main a couple of weeks ago and so far it's doing good, crossing my fingers.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BTA and my mag is 1440 so I don't think its that. It could be the lighting. I had black boxes when I put the BTA ic and it was looking awful. I switched to Red Sea Reef LED 90s and it perked up and has been looking good since.

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BTA and my mag is 1440 so I don't think its that. It could be the lighting. I had black boxes when I put the BTA ic and it was looking awful. I switched to Red Sea Reef LED 90s and it perked up and has been looking good since.
Yeah, if I lose this one I will look at upgrading the light. That's the only thing I can think of.

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the last one I put in there is doing a lot better than the previous ones. By this time if it followed the patterns of the others it would have been on the move deflated and looking bad. This one has stayed in the same spot and hasn't deflated except at night like normal. Crossing my fingers.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cbbs and my btas love it. 75% blue 15% whites 8" from the water. 2 of my LFS use them as well and have great looking BTAs. I'm not saying that isn't your problem, but it isn't one for me and those lfs...

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the above comments are feasible & your #s look good. What about SG between the tanks & temps? That's the only thing that comes to mind (and your clown pestering it)

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue when I got my first few nems. The issue was one of two. First, I've seen the guy at the LFS physically remove the nem from a rock, which never should be done because it will damage the foot and they often slowly die afterwards. Second because I didn't know any better and I move the nem from a rock to another part of the tank because I didn't know any better and probably damaged the foot.

In my experience, if you just drop him in the tank with the wave pumps off then turn the pumps on once he has enough foot hold, he will move to the nearest viable spot.

Sometimes if you turn your light on too late in the morning they can sense the day light and will move towards it and never settle into a good spot because they're confused by the daylight VS the light output from your lights.

Try to clear a nice area with lower flow and good light, drop em in first thing when your light cycle begins, and hope for the best.

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the above comments are feasible & your #s look good. What about SG between the tanks & temps? That's the only thing that comes to mind (and your clown pestering it)
SG is the same for both tanks at 1.025 and the temps are 77.5 - 78 for the nem tank and 78 - 79 for the main tank. The clowns at times can be a rough but have settled down considerably from a few months ago, so that could be a something.

you could also do an icp test between both tanks and see if anything is off that you aren't testing for
I will be doing an ICP test for the main tank because there's some corals in there that are not doing well at all and need to see if anything is out of whack.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SG is the same for both tanks at 1.025 and the temps are 77.5 - 78 for the nem tank and 78 - 79 for the main tank. The clowns at times can be a rough but have settled down considerably from a few months ago, so that could be a something.

I will be doing an ICP test for the main tank because there's some corals in there that are not doing well at all and need to see if anything is out of whack.
might be a good idea to do the new bta tank also that way you can compare the tank there are doing fine in plus the new one

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back