Keep Sump Quiet

jabx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is pretty simple. I have a heater, return pump, skimmer and filter socks.

The only reason i really have filter socks is to muffle the noise from the overflow.

I have one sock with drawstrings that I tie around the pipe where the overflow enters the sump and then that feeds into your standard 7"? sock with plastic ring.

I would love to get rid of all the socks but without either one the splashing water noise is unbearable.

has anyone gone from socks to no socks and fixed the noise problem?

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a way to do this and it works for me at least. You can put a right angle piece in with an air admittance valve in the tube feeding your sump. Check out my build thread by clicking my badge for a picture of the right angle piece into my sump.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reverse durso should do the trick. Here's the one I tried but couldn't use because it didn't fit in the sock.

1619037479741.png

Here it is in use without the filter sock:

1619037584438.png

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a simple sump setup like yours. Extending the water hose dumping into the sump to atleast several inches below the waterline will quiet that aspect of noise regardless of socks or not. Also If that's not quite enough slowing the return pump some will help. My tank is in my bedroom so by doing the 2 simple things mentioned above helped tremendously.

OP
OP
jabx1

jabx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, I will look into the reverse durso as well as the air admittance valve.

I had a T pipe fitting that fit well. It is about halfway submerged so it allows air to vent without being forced too far below the water line.

HB AL, the sump originally came with a long pvc pipe that was below the water line and the air bubbles it created were crazy loud.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a piece of pipe that will extend 2-3" below the water surface. Then drill or cut several openings which start at the water line and go up above the water a couple of inches. This vents the air and lets the water slide quietly into the water. If you want it quieter yet, then make the pipe enter the water at an angle so the water slides down the pipe.

Dave B

OP
OP
jabx1

jabx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a piece of pipe that will extend 2-3" below the water surface. Then drill or cut several openings which start at the water line and go up above the water a couple of inches. This vents the air and lets the water slide quietly into the water. If you want it quieter yet, then make the pipe enter the water at an angle so the water slides down the pipe.

Dave B
getting a 45 and making it enter at and angle is really smart. did not think of that

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back