Keep?

Ryan Kindle

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 12, 2018
Messages
193
Reaction score
151
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found 2 of these guys on some live rock from kp aquatics. Just finished curing and wondered if anyone knows exactly what kind this is, and if I should keep em for a bit or not

20220218_214116.jpg
 
Looks like a brittle star if so there good
 
That is a pencil urchin (Eucidaris tribuloides). They are hit or miss. I have one in my 75 gallon. He eats feather dusters, but leaves corals alone so far. Working on removing him since he likes to eat the big ornamental feather dusters I like. Going to stick him in the refugium since I like him.
 
Heres a pic from other day
 

Attachments

  • 20220215_192100.jpg
    20220215_192100.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 46
I was thinking a pencil. I dont have many corals yet. May just take them to my lfs tho.
 
Definitely pencil urchin, I'd keep them around at least for the time being because it's neat to see them grow (they grow quickly from the very small size) and they will mow down some of the algae that comes along with the early stages of a tank.

Had six little black rock urchins (the size of a pea or so) come in on my last batch of live rock and they grew into adult size in less than 6 months!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new