Keeping a pair of Marine Bettas in 105 gallon tank?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I would like to know if I can safely keep a pair of Marine Bettas in a 105-gallon, 48”x24”x22” system. Will they have enough space in a tank of my size to not fight and get along?

I hear it’s hard to know if they are two males or a male and a female until I put them together and see whether they fight or not. I’m thinking of having my LFS put them together for 15 minutes and see if they get along. If they get along I’ll assume I’ve got a pair and I’ll take both home.

For my 105-gallon softies only tank my plan is to only stock up to 9 fish.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the LFS, they may need to be together longer than that. They need to be comfortable for a while. Just netting them together does not count. They have to get over from the stress of getting net first, then get comfortable, then you can see the interaction between the two. 15 min, from the time you put them together may not be enough.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve asked my lfs to watch a tailspot Blenny and then later on a mandarin dragonet for 2 weeks prior to purchasing them. Kept coming back in to the store to check them out and make sure they were healthy. Having a good relationship with your local guy is key for trades and trade backs.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on if they are comfortable. If they are comfortable and together for 1 hr in a small tank it would be enough IMO. If the LFS can use a divider if they don’t fight across the divider he should then remove the divider and see how he interacts.
I pair mine in my 40 gal breeder reef. Usually I have to separate them within the hour if it does not work.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if they are willing to share the same tank , you can come back periodically to make sure their fins are all good and that everyone is playing nice :) I really want a beta but I love invertebrates too much.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy at my lfs has one is his 150 main display tank. He says they are generally shy. Online it says 50 gallon minimum tank size but they are huge in person. 2 might be too risky unless you are sure they are a pair.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait. If you don’t have room, it is still much better to get them pair at the LFS. You don’t have to get them right away. They don’t. Eat much and does not produce a lot of waste.
ThRoewer a Reefer from Europe frequent the ReefCentral reef fishes forum is really knowledgeable about Marine Betta. You may want to ask him.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked him. He told me to buy one below 4” and another that is 25% to 50% larger. My hope is LFS will have two, and two healthy specimens.

CE949025-2D83-4F17-B392-15ABBA20208D.png

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have my pair in large tank. 420 and 320 gal tanks. Never seen torn fin in any of my pair. Only see torn fins when ever I tried to pair them.
Check with ThRoewer at ReefCentral Reef Fishes forum who is a lot more knowledgeable about Marine Betta than I am. I never heard of a "harem of Marine Betta". Thomas was one of the earliest reefer who successfully raised these fish in captivity years ago. He is raising a few right now.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. But a pair should not torn each other up with mating. I don’t think your LFS owner isn’t right.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping and breeding fresh water Siamese fighting fish (fresh water betta) the male would mate, pick up the eggs put them on the bubble nest that he built. Female would eat the eggs so he chase her away after mating. If the female not remove, she can get kill by the male. The male then look after the eggs until the baby can swim and eat. If the newly hatch fry fall off the nest he would pick it up with his mouth and put the fry back on the nest.

Maybe your LFS owner thinks of this when he said that the female will be all torn up after mating. Fresh water Betta have nothing in common with Marine Betta other than the name. Even wild type fresh water Betta does not look at all like the along fin Betta that we see today.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If th
I see. If there are torn fins, but they don’t kill each other, will the torn fins heal or should I be concerned?
If there are torn fins, you should remove one. The torn fin will heal, but the looser will not do well in the tank.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me hopeful. I’ll try with a larger one and a significantly smaller one (one I will buy at around 3” and the other at around 4-4.5”) and hope for the best. Hope I can find two healthy specimens.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. But a pair should not torn each other up with mating. I don’t think your LFS owner isn’t right.

The reply from post 12 is from throewer on reef c. From what I have read and seen it is pretty common for them to shred each other during mating but it's normally cosmetic.

I've also seem betta harems mentioned several times before, plus people keeping many mature fish separately and only introducing them to mate, which is how I plan to do it one day.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back