Keeping arcos, and montiporas

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning guys, I know arcos and montis need different care requirements but I have a current usa marine orbit LED, it's on low to compensate for my chalice (20% W, and 90% on the rest of the colors) although my chalice hasn't been liking me because I'm getting more into the advanced aspects of chem so I've been changing stuff since I understand it now, so it might just be put in the shade for a while and let him grow back. Anyways, not talking about LPS, this is SPS. Would you think I have a chance at keeping arcos and other SPS with similar care requirements? Also what would you recommend for flow? I have a current usa 660 GPH (tank is 65 gal), blowing into the right of tank, I plan on getting another and putting it so it ends in the left side by my coral tower, my highest point other than my frag rack. Would you think I could keep arcos with those? I try to keep my water at low nutrient, 1-2 PPM for nitrates, and 1 PPM for phosphates.

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't known the par output of current lights but you can look it up. Acros usually do good around 150+ par from what I have seen and experience. Flow should be ramped up to create random flow having their polyps dance in the flow. Nutrients wise, you are in a good spot and can always increase when needed to. Also, you can feed coral food to help. My biggest tip is not to chase numbers to always hit a number that is working for some else. If everything is looking good in your tank, keep it stable within those parameters. Stability is key as we all learn sooner or later

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capture.PNG

Here's mine, my is 24' deep. I would keep them near the surface. Until I get the coral tower up to where I keep my frag rack. It would be about 150-120 par.

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't known the par output of current lights but you can look it up. Acros usually do good around 150+ par from what I have seen and experience. Flow should be ramped up to create random flow having their polyps dance in the flow. Nutrients wise, you are in a good spot and can always increase when needed to. Also, you can feed coral food to help. My biggest tip is not to chase numbers to always hit a number that is working for some else. If everything is looking good in your tank, keep it stable within those parameters. Stability is key as we all learn sooner or later
Yes for the stability, unfortunately like I said I've been getting into numbers and junk so until I keep it to what I think will be good my chalice will have to hold on, good thing they are hardy in the long run like plate corals.

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for the stability, unfortunately like I said I've been getting into numbers and junk so until I keep it to what I think will be good my chalice will have to hold on, good thing they are hardy in the long run like plate corals.

Yeah, get your numbers to suitable parameters that your tank us responding goes. The current light might be a bit weak for acros from what I'm seeing. If you are on a tight budget, I would recommend looking into black box led which provide good growth to any corals.

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, get your numbers to suitable parameters that your tank us responding goes. The current light might be a bit weak for acros from what I'm seeing. If you are on a tight budget, I would recommend looking into black box led which provide good growth to any corals.
Took a look, very nice price. However since I already have set up a loop system I do want to keep the orbit. I might get another one, would that add more par (I'm not good with lighting) or should I just stay to the "low light" SPS?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back