Keeping fiddler crabs as live food

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My porcupine fish has recently developed a taste for fiddler crabs, and it seems like that's all he wants to eat now!!! So it seems like I am going to be keeping these things long term. I bought 50 of them and I have them in a 10 gallon tank with a couple concrete pavers and about an inch of salt water. I have a small heater in the water and an air stone. I noticed that the water was smelling bad so I put a bag of carbon in it. That didn't really help.

So I want to do this right. I want to keep the crabs happy and healthy (it's the right thing to do for them and the end user fish). Is there some sort of filtration I can use?

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What comes to mind for me is that these are more brakish style crabs with primative gills/lings. They require land and water with a salinity at about 1.01-1.008

I think a simple intank filter will do just fine, like the ones used for turtles.

just a little filter for the small amount of water and a heater, and Sand substrate :)

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What comes to mind for me is that these are more brakish style crabs with primative gills/lings. They require land and water with a salinity at about 1.01-1.008

I think a simple intank filter will do just fine, like the ones used for turtles.

just a little filter for the small amount of water and a heater, and Sand substrate :)
You think I need sand? I have a couple of blocks in there and they can climb up.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahahaha so my boyfriend keeps one of these and he is absolutely in love with it. I can’t wait to show him this video!!!!!

Side note, I would definitely look at gut loading with super healthy food.

Also another side note, do you ever come across females? He’s been on the hunt for one for months

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahahaha so my boyfriend keeps one of these and he is absolutely in love with it. I can’t wait to show him this video!!!!!

Side note, I would definitely look at gut loading with super healthy food.

Also another side note, do you ever come across females? He’s been on the hunt for one for months
I got 50 of them. They are a mix of males and females. The males have the big claw, the females have 2 small claws.

I'm feeding them algae wafers and pellet food

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 50 of them. They are a mix of males and females. The males have the big claw, the females have 2 small claws.

I'm feeding them algae wafers and pellet food
Where do you buy them?

We usually feed frozen (whatever is left from the saltwater tank) and life spectrum sinking pellets. We also use a tiny carbon filter to take out the cloudy water.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re in it for looks, yea that will work lol
We just bought a stand up one that’s rated low water. Like $10 on Amazon

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you buy them?

We usually feed frozen (whatever is left from the saltwater tank) and life spectrum sinking pellets. We also use a tiny carbon filter to take out the cloudy water.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured that it will give them more surface area to get out of the water. Like I said, I also have the filters and they are really cheap.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured that it will give them more surface area to get out of the water. Like I said, I also have the filters and they are really cheap.
Awesome :) I’ll look into it for him. I have a feeling we are about to have a bajillion crabs now....

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That puffer is really awesome.
I’ve always liked those guys but I don’t have the money or space for them. Just stickin’ with the good old 10 gallon for now.
I had a pea puffer in February however I was told it was born in captivity.
However it didn’t eat and did not do well at all. Found out later it was actually wild caught.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That puffer is really awesome.
I’ve always liked those guys but I don’t have the money or space for them. Just stickin’ with the good old 10 gallon for now.
I had a pea puffer in February however I was told it was born in captivity.
However it didn’t eat and did not do well at all. Found out later it was actually wild caught.
I'm sorry to hear that. Puffers are special, like water puppies.

Almost ALL SW fish are wild caught. There are only a few species that breed in captivity.

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that. Puffers are special, like water puppies.

Almost ALL SW fish are wild caught. There are only a few species that breed in captivity.
Yeah that’s true, I would think designer fish/corals would be raised/grown in captivity, being an exception.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s true, I would think designer fish/corals would be raised/grown in captivity, being an exception.
But those guys have issues of their own. Some designer clowns have been bred so much that they are super anxiety prone. I had one (of 2) swim herself to death while the other went in and is at 4 years old now

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It fit pretty good. I had to modify the pump because of the low water level.

IMG_20191129_174143.jpg IMG_20191129_174157.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed him those to keep his teeth in check, or for enrichment. I shoukld try those for my dfp, his teeth are bucked big time. He gets shell on shrimp, silversides(bones), and clams on the half shell(nothing to crack there but he does hit them pretty hard). It's a bb tank so no substrate to sift through but he"s a pretty lazy pup anyway, he doesn"t pick through the rocks at all.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed him those to keep his teeth in check, or for enrichment. I shoukld try those for my dfp, his teeth are bucked big time. He gets shell on shrimp, silversides(bones), and clams on the half shell(nothing to crack there but he does hit them pretty hard). It's a bb tank so no substrate to sift through but he"s a pretty lazy pup anyway, he doesn"t pick through the rocks at all.
I'm feeding him those, because at this point it's the only thing he gets excited about!!! He sees an Oyster and comes running over, then loses interest. Yet, he will eat 20 crabs if I keep dropping them in!!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeding him those, because at this point it's the only thing he gets excited about!!! He sees an Oyster and comes running over, then loses interest. Yet, he will eat 20 crabs if I keep dropping them in!!

That's really meet. I love the lion.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back