Keeping it all in the family: How do you involve your kids and/or S.O. in the hobby with you?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my girl being patient while I talk to the guy at the LFS who also happens to be the only fellow hobbiest I know. She was so excited :face-with-tears-of-joy:
20221006_164627.jpg

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife loves to sit and watch the tank (as do I). She also names all the fish, which is the reason we have Private Blenjamin (lawnmower blenny), Wrassalon (six line wrasse), and had Argent (a silver molly).

Why yes, we are Doctor Who fans :)

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coincidentally I purchased this book yesterday for my kids to learn more about corals . It's a wonderful book that teaches not only about what corals are but about how they tie into our ecosystem as a whole and how we can help sustain their preservation and health.

Screenshot_20221006_170244.jpg

The World of Coral Reefs: Explore and Protect the Natural Wonders of the Sea https://a.co/d/hRm9jwA

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My wife liked our fish that we had in the early 2000’s I had them when we got married. Got out of it, as time and money were needed elsewhere. Fast forward to last year and a restart. My youngest daughter who is still at home loves it. Names the fish, helps me feed, and picks out new things.
My wife loves to watch, and she talks to the fish. We are up to 6 tanks and she cleans the glass with the magnet every day. Baby talks to her favorites. She helps to pick out the fish, and has even “claimed” a tank that has her pick in it. His name is Hank and he is a Sunset Wrasse and in a Red Sea XXL750, this my user name (oops it was late and I thought both the 900 and 750 were 3XL). I ordered a group of fish like the ones we had back when (panther grouper and clown grouper) as a surprise and they are her fish.
I talk with her about every purchase, and pretty much anything our wiggly friends need they get. Livestock is a little different. She doesn’t love everything that I do, but it doesn’t cause strife. But nothing can go in Hanks Tank that she doesn’t approve.

Attachments

• FA9D1ED9-AF38-43FB-AB15-CAAC7E4BD06E.jpeg
    FA9D1ED9-AF38-43FB-AB15-CAAC7E4BD06E.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 34

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife likes looking at my tanks and will show off to friends that comes over, but she doesn't care about how things work.
When I add new livestock to the tank I will take her to the LFS and let her pick out livestock. Most of the things she picks I have to explain to her why we can't add it to the tank lol.
Oh and she loves adding new fish to the tank. I always let her put the fish in after acclimation:)

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
My daughter likes to run up smack the glass and leave handprints all over fish got use to it now they don’t even react she likes to laugh at my diamond goby I also give her a dry paper towel when I’m cleaning the outside so she can clean with me wife on the other hand doesn’t care she might stick her finger in water for the cleaner shrimp but other then that ‍♂️

Vinnie1959

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My granddaughter, 14, loves testing the water. Her and her brother helped me pick out my scooter blenny. I have a new 4 year old grandson who absolutely loves the fish. My wife wants to know nothing but loves to look at both of the tanks.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try too,especially my wife but when she goes into the stores she just see's how expensive everything is and my boys always want me to get fish I can't keep in my tank lol.

My oldest when he was a baby would sit with me while I looked at coral online hahaha.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1) How involved are your family members in the reef hobby?

Daughter and GF both admire my work. Daughter more involved as to my advantage- she grew up in a pet store Environment at my very store

2) What are some ways they participate with you?

My daughter tends to attend at least one day of shows when I get to them and allow her to pick out most of the coral purchases.

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium keeping was really I hobby we kept for my oldest son, entirely freshwater for a long time. He was the one really into the fish and plants. After he died we took over his tanks and a few years later a friend gave me a saltwater tank. We have all come together as a family to get back into fish keeping. It's definitely "my" hobby more than anyone's, but both my husband and our boys have stayed involved.

My 16 year old is my youngest and he is more interested in the fish and wants to set up a nano tank of his own soon. He's the first to want to come with me to the LFS and Aquarium shows. My 17 year old is the most helpful with coral and taking over dosing and feeding if I'm out of town. My husband is more helpful with the equipment and putting things together.

Hydrahawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two kids, almost 3 and almost 5, want to help with the water changes; come to realize the half bucket of water is too heavy for them to carry. The wife knows how much the equipment cost but not the fishes and corals...;)

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting them engaged in the store is a good start. They get involved in selection process, get feedback from a professional, and understand that it’s an investment of and money in pets and living things; not just ‘a hobby’.

amygetsalife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timely topic. I just started my build thread on the tank my husband and I got so we had something in common to talk about that wasn't our family business or the kids. It's led to many conversations, LFS trips that get labeled date nights, and we split the duties between my interests and his pretty equally. He's all about the gear, including making water and doing water changes. I do the testing, researching (leading to more conversation), and handle most of the feeding and critters.

Our three kids, currently almost 13, just turned 16, and almost 18 take a good bit of interest in watching the tank inhabitants, and have learned quite a bit about the fish at least. They're usually up for a trip to one of 3 fish shops near us. You should have seen them when we went on a long road trip and we played reefing podcasts!!!! They did whip out their headphones, but we enjoyed it!

My daughter is quite creative and has used our tank as inspiration for several paintings. At their ages, it's been a good ongoing lesson in budgeting and delayed gratification.

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drag my husband into my hobbies a little at a time, and this one is no different. Usually I do it by getting in just a little over my head and needing "help." Like, my tiny 3 gallon saltwater tank, improperly cycled, and fish dying. (I really didn't know what I was doing) He rushed out to get me a bigger tank, live sand, good saltwater, basically everything to "instantly cycle" and save the babies.
Now he helps name the new ones.
He is more involved, he just custom built the new stand for my 75 gal, did all the plumbing for the sump, helped with the aquascaping, made countless trips to Lowe's, and footed the bill.
The biggest surprise was his booking a vacation to Orlando to coincide with Reefapalooza next year, of course that is payback for me going with him to the big Mustang car show in PA with him.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back