Keeping torches long term. My experience

7gsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I’ve always loved since beginning the hobby are arcopora and torch corals. Theyre both the hardest and most sensitive to care for. Each having specific care of course.
For me. I found the best nutrient range to keep these are.

alk 10
Phos .2
Nitrate 30
Mag 1500
Calc 500

not until yesterday i found my corals struggling a little because i forgot to refil my dose bottles . All good.

The 2 biggest keys of success I have found so far in this hobby is keeping the parameters as stable as possible.
And using anti bacterial meds in the entire tank via cipro and amoxicillin. Although i do not personally use amoxicillin.

A basic guideline for it is talked about here.

Dosing cipro i think is a huge key. I have a 90x marine waterbox.
So my total gallons is about 90 give or take some because of the rock work.
I will dose about 5-10 mls of a 500mg cipro pill diluted in 50mls of RO.
I found that dosing torches that are about to get bdj in cipro and coral rx helps as well. I have stopped the disease on 3 occasions because of it.

I definitely want these corals to be “easy”. That means sharing as much success we get with them.
Its been a year since i started and ive definitely had a good amount of success.

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a noob, I had pretty high phosphates for a while ~0.4. My torch was the fastest growing coral in my tank, it looked fantastic. A couple of months ago I started bringing down my phosphates (< 0.1) and while almost all of my other corals are looking better, my torch is actually looking worse.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure that regularly putting antibiotics into an aquarium is a good idea. That seems like a really good way to produce antibiotic-resistant bacteria strains and get someone really sick, and/or make nasty strains of antibiotic-resistant aquarium pests.

Surely people are able to keep torch corals long-term without regular antibiotic dosage. If not, I'd argue people probably shouldn't be keeping them, then- no coral is pretty enough to be worth that risk.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do strongly agree that stability of your tank is one of key elements to success, but there are many others, like keeping parameters stable at generally acceptable levels and above all avoiding regular use of broad spectrum antybiotics.

Back