Keeping Your Sand Bed Clean

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanted to chime in on some posts as the thread builds. glad to see all the sand work, if we had started this thread in 1999 we'd all be ran out of town.

on the goby and its nutrient removal:

the sandbed takes priority since it can affect the entire system. Since we cannot stop feeding the system and sustain the goby from the sand alone, its offerings are incidental and the other modes of feeding would take over much like when the sandbed was new and didn't have much to offer sifters other than a little undegraded protein in the form of detritus and a few pods or tiny insects. not breakpoint fare, and not enough to justify hands off sandbedding in my opinion. we would clean anyway in my opinion. refugia or direct additions of live sandbed organisms are ways to bring a tank up to par for those fish imo, the sole source shouldn't be the bed, it should have other supports of microfauna as well, which repopulates after either cleaning from us or the fish.

on the clouding/access problems (tank clouds anytime its disturbed):
in my opinion sandbed prep starts day 1. in our sand rinse thread (a different one) we rinse all sand harshly, massively, before use, even the ones marked "live sand" on the bag. this pre rinse makes all silt gone, the initial diatoms stage nonexistent, and we can access the tank for cleaning and moves and scape changes without clouding. Pre rinse, or do it over and do a skip cycle sandbed rinse would fix that problem. easier for nanos to run vs large tanks due to dilution. the kinds of sandbeds we don't mess with are the dedicated, remote ones that don't collect detritus like a street ditch collects cig butts. in my opinion, if a sandbed is located up under some fish, we need to be exporting it and that in any system of years old that has not, we can dredge up some scary test numbers from the depths of that bed such that we hope a rock slide never ever occurs nor any reason to touch the bed in the slightest manner in order to keep things safe.

in my opinion we all got tired of the minefield of the untouched DSB circa 1999.

Pre rinsing sand like caribsea arrive alive does not kill the bacteria, and we don't get pods and starfish in that kind of live sand anyway. its just sand, water, and bac. Rinsing removes silt, not bacteria. we have giant threads that show how to take apart a reef tank, change out the entire sandbed for either a new one or rinsed one, and instantly start anew with no cycle.

There are times for partial work, and times for full on resets and its quite easy to navigate both nowadays, we have lots of examples. The smaller tanks benefit much better from full on cleanings vs incremental ones, and large tanks typically have no other option other than incremental work bc full water changes are so hard to run.

Last edited:

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did anyone ever see the youtube videos showing sandbed cleaning using a filter sock. They both put a filter sock in their sumps vaccumed the substrate while recirculating the water through the sump. I'm just about to cycle my tank.(no sump but was thinking of using a bucket and pump to get the water back in the tank more easily)Off topic I had a marine tank years ago running for many years. Glad I saw brandon 429 article on cycling a tank!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone ever see the youtube videos showing sandbed cleaning using a filter sock...

I just attach a filter sock temporarily to my return outlet with a rubber band on cleaning day.

Doesn't have to be fancy or complicated...just has to work.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having this sand for some time would you use it again? Same Grade size as well? I am looking to set up a 120 fatboy and am planning on doing a mix of miniflakes and reefflakes. May just end up with strickly reefflakes however. Let me know your thoughs

Yes, I love the Reefflakes. I liked the look of the Miniflakes a tad better, but it blew all over the tank.

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, smaller sections for a while until you rid a lot of the "junk." I do my entire bed 3 times a week now and I run ULN. What do you mean you get outbreaks when you "try something?"
Clean the sand, but I’ve battled, ich started QT ended up with Velvet, Dino, cyano and bryopsis lost 80% of my coral when I changed light schedule and left my skimmer one during fallow. Oh and I had an awesome outbreak of monti eating nudi while I was fallow since I had no wrasse to keep in check. So pretty much every outbreak imaginable. This is all after I lost a main deal on a 220 and had half my house rebuilt.
But I will try smaller sections I did do half a tank at a time.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally use the TS technique which is BY FAR IS THE BEST technique IMO to clean the sand bed.

Mind sharing what this "TS technique" you speak of is? It seems Google and/or Reef2Reef does not recognize the acronym.

gtrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I set-up my tank 5mo ago and the sand is getting dirty. I'm going to slowly blast it with my kent marine feeder. Thank you!

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant seem to keep my sand bed clean I'll stir it up on occasion and I'll stir up up really good before a water change and then within a week I start getting algae on the sand bed again quite bad actually cant seem to figure out the issue, I'm also using gfo in my reactor.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you search out GFO use threads, you will see a recurring link between GFO and various matted invasion tradeoffs. regardless of the cause the link is there, and reasons offered is the po4 stripping reducing natural competitors/sounds legit to me. we like to get off GFO use by cleaning out the bed, the rocks, anywhere clouding exists and then do a nice water change/phosphate solved for a while anyway.

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in your opinion what would be the best thing to run in my reactor then, I bought the kolar gfo because I had read it was the best on the market to use. This is also my first time ever running a reactor in any of my systems.

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you search out GFO use threads, you will see a recurring link between GFO and various matted invasion tradeoffs. regardless of the cause the link is there, and reasons offered is the po4 stripping reducing natural competitors/sounds legit to me. we like to get off GFO use by cleaning out the bed, the rocks, anywhere clouding exists and then do a nice water change/phosphate solved for a while anyway.
Would adding more sand to my current system be a bad idea I have a tank that I've broken down still have water in it but didnt want to throw the sand away thought if I could reuse it I would

Kygo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what process is? Since the video is now gone and it doesn't appear anyone explained the method.

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone know what process is? Since the video is now gone and it doesn't appear anyone explained the method.
I put a filter sock in the sump. I keep it pinned against the inside of the top of the sump by using an algae magnet. I use the dry side of the magnet on the outside of the sump and the wetside on the inside of the sump,sandwiching the sock between the magnets. I shut off the pumps and start the siphon putting the siphon into the sock.I use a turkey baster to blow detritus off the rocks while I have the siphon hover over the spot I'm using the turkey baster.when the water gets close to the top I pull out the siphon and start the return pump back on so the sump starts to drain but I leave the powerheads off. I repeat three or four times before I stop. Just make sure the siphon doesn't come out of the sock accidentally.( don't ask me how I know.lol) If the sand is dirty, I will siphon the sand too.Another tip ,keep the rim of the sock on top of the sump so the dirty water doesn't get into the tank. I know this seems self evident but if you turn your head and disturb the siphon hose it can happen.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back