Keeping Your Sand Bed Clean

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the turkey baster technique also. Seems to work well. I typically run the micron filter socks. Before I do a water change I stir the sand with the turkey baster while running Nutrient Export on my Vortechs, I use the mesh filter sock to catch debris. I really only clean my sand about once a month, half at a time.

bottspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wanting to start cleaning my sand however I was concerned that I would remove the nutrients that my sand sifting goby gets. Anyone had any issues?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different species of dinoflagellates (per Wiki: 'The latest estimates suggest a total of 2,294 living dinoflagellate species' in many different marine and freshwater habitats). The ones that are really destructive and nasty (and can be toxic) often appear as 'stingy snot with bubbles'. What is described here, however, is a different type in that it looks a lot like diatoms, but it goes away when the lights are turned off and then reappears when the tank is lit the next day. Diatoms stay put day and night (unless eaten).

Many believe that dinos take advantage of system upsets/imbalances, but that they are far less likely to bloom in mature, stable systems with a regular maintenance routine.

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this method since i got into reefing around 17 years ago, i baste twice a week, once to give the corals a feed and once before the weekly water change which helps with nutrient export.

D_Nyholm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, if I do this in my tank, the sand dust gets everywhere. Started it when my tank was new and stopped due to the mess it makes. I can't remember what sand I have but I guess it has some very fine particles in it.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, if I do this in my tank, the sand dust gets everywhere. Started it when my tank was new and stopped due to the mess it makes. I can't remember what sand I have but I guess it has some very fine particles in it.

Try attaching a fine filter sock temporarily to your outlet nozzle when you do the stirring to catch the fine particles.

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely diatoms, they were covering my Vortech's tonight and I just blew them off with my Sea Squirt. Now time to see where the silicates are getting in although I suspect they are already in the sand and blowing it around released them. I only use RODI for ATO and water changes and my membranes are only about 7 months old. I have an ATI lab test in process now and will see the results later this week, silicates are one of the items that are included on the test.

Well the results are in from my complete ATI test...near perfect water in my display with 0.01ppm phosphate and everything else in the good range but the culprit is my RO/DI water, 39.4ug/l of SILICATES. Time to go from a 4 stage to a 6 stage unit.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the results are in from my complete ATI test...near perfect water in my display with 0.01ppm phosphate and everything else in the good range but the culprit is my RO/DI water, 39.4ug/l of SILICATES. Time to go from a 4 stage to a 6 stage unit.

I'm glad you found the problem!... that's always the challenge in reef keeping.

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm constantly getting asked how I keep my tank so clean. I figured I would make a quick video focusing on the sand bed and how I keep it spotless. I use to "stir" it with the end of my Eheim tongs, but this method is even easier and less invasive around the corals.

NOTE: If you currently have a really dirty sand bed, then I recommend only doing a section at a time, over a few week period. You will keep doing the previously cleaned section(s) twice a week though. Then once you get to the last section, you can do the entire tank twice/week.

The tank for reference:

FTS by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I would like to use the sand you have. My problem is that I have had my tank setup for about a month now and have some corals in there with clownfish. I try to stir my sand up and it just flies everywhere creating way to much of a mess. Your sand is nice and I like it. What would be the best approach to switching my sand out? I am very limited. I don't have a second tank at all. Would it be fine to bag my corals and fish and then change the sand maybe within 30minutes and then put everything back? I would have to leave the water in though.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to use the sand you have. My problem is that I have had my tank setup for about a month now and have some corals in there with clownfish. I try to stir my sand up and it just flies everywhere creating way to much of a mess. Your sand is nice and I like it. What would be the best approach to switching my sand out? I am very limited. I don't have a second tank at all. Would it be fine to bag my corals and fish and then change the sand maybe within 30minutes and then put everything back? I would have to leave the water in though.

Are you running socks or filter floss or anything? FWIW, I by no means have the "sugar" type sand and when I hit it with the turkey baster it makes a heck of a mess.. thats the point. If you do want to swap sand, just use a gravel vac and vacuum it all out. Then add in whatever new sand you want; you'll just have to do so very slowly and if you aren't running some type of mechanical polisher like floss or a sock, you may want to consider doing so until the water clears back up.

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running socks or filter floss or anything? FWIW, I by no means have the "sugar" type sand and when I hit it with the turkey baster it makes a heck of a mess.. thats the point. If you do want to swap sand, just use a gravel vac and vacuum it all out. Then add in whatever new sand you want; you'll just have to do so very slowly and if you aren't running some type of mechanical polisher like floss or a sock, you may want to consider doing so until the water clears back up.
Just have a canister filter with a in and out tube for the water. I just think my sand is very fine that's all.

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, ended up with a massive cayno outbreak after trying this.... tanks 8mo old. Chemiclean to the rescue. Is it because I have low nutrients? I seem to keep getting outbreaks whenever I try something in this system.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, ended up with a massive cayno outbreak after trying this.... tanks 8mo old. Chemiclean to the rescue. Is it because I have low nutrients? I seem to keep getting outbreaks whenever I try something in this system.

Did you do smaller sections at a time, over the course of several weeks?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1, smaller sections for a while until you rid a lot of the "junk." I do my entire bed 3 times a week now and I run ULN. What do you mean you get outbreaks when you "try something?"

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Aragonite Sand" is the grade... but they leave that part out in the chart. Essentially Aragonite Sand is the standard Reefflakes... which is 3mm.

Aragasnow - 0.5mm
Tonga Special Pink - 0.8mm
Miniflakes - 2.0mm
Mesoflakes - 2.7mm
Reefflakes - 3.0mm
Reefflakes Grand Select - 4.5mm

After having this sand for some time would you use it again? Same Grade size as well? I am looking to set up a 120 fatboy and am planning on doing a mix of miniflakes and reefflakes. May just end up with strickly reefflakes however. Let me know your thoughs

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back