Ken's 215G Build

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t think of a reason not to use three. I didn’t give it much thought, just used two because that’s what ATI uses to support the fixture.

I looked into the strength of derailleur cable and as far as I could tell they are rated to around 250lbs minimum, and most likely much higher.

I also looked into different support mechanisms such as these. Pretty surprising how much they can hold.
When you get a chance can you send me pics of the clamps you got at HD to secure the cables to the rod? Kit arrived yesterday. Well made although instructions are terrible.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get a chance can you send me pics of the clamps you got at HD to secure the cables to the rod? Kit arrived yesterday. Well made although instructions are terrible.

I can’t find it on HD but check here...

I used something like this...
https://www.mcmaster.com/cable-ends/wire-rope-clamp-and-thimble-kits-not-for-lifting/.

A compression sleeve would work too.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t find it on HD but check here...

I used something like this...
https://www.mcmaster.com/cable-ends/wire-rope-clamp-and-thimble-kits-not-for-lifting/.

A compression sleeve would work too.
hmm, OK. Thinking I can turn the derailleur cable around and use the cable tip to secure it. The rod has a slot so I think to weave the cable in the slot and let the tip secure it.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm, OK. Thinking I can turn the derailleur cable around and use the cable tip to secure it. The rod has a slot so I think to weave the cable in the slot and let the tip secure it.
My idea is a no go. Cable tip is too small for rod slot. The compression fitting idea is a good one. So drill hole in rod, snake cable through, install compression fitting and compression is bigger than drill hole so it locks it in place. But won’t that get in way of cable as it spools? Same question on the wire rope clamp. Speaking of which, can you dig up the 3D file for the rod? Like the idea of a spoiler vs. cable on raw metal. Also if you wanted to be a real pal, and print 2 for me that would be even better. 2” rod. I’ll cover you for materials, shipping, etc.

Thanks.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did this too. I wasn't sure how much weight that tip would carry so I just went overboard.

My idea is a no go. Cable tip is too small for rod slot. The compression fitting idea is a good one. So drill hole in rod, snake cable through, install compression fitting and compression is bigger than drill hole so it locks it in place. But won’t that get in way of cable as it spools? Same question on the wire rope clamp. Speaking of which, can you dig up the 3D file for the rod? Like the idea of a spoiler vs. cable on raw metal. Also if you wanted to be a real pal, and print 2 for me that would be even better. 2” rod. I’ll cover you for materials, shipping, etc.

Thanks.
Hard to explain, but what I did was put the spool on, drill a hole through the spool AND rod. Drill where you want the cable to start winding, so it goes in correct direction of spool threads, etc. Then I fished the cable through the end of the rod (ie, the openings on the side), so the derailleur cable tip (along with the compression fitting) ends up on the INSIDE of the rod. Now you have the cable sticking out of the rod already lined up on the spool.

I can print you a couple or dig up the STL file.. it's in a thread here somewhere. I have a 2" rod also so the file should already work for yours.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the pictures for you...

00B7D821-E48F-474A-8AC3-7776BA6E321A.jpeg
801E18C1-FCDF-4E83-82C8-E8157C4680F9.jpeg
294DB109-DAFD-458A-8618-9EADDE3BF9FF.jpeg
4BD8CB5F-56B4-4E12-B60E-0C950B426CB7.jpeg

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the little angel that could.
She really is. She went into chloroquine phosphate yesterday and is well so far. Eating aggressively and chasing food around the tank, which she hasn't done since this started. If I can keep bacterial infection away I think she will make it.

She has been in so many methylene blue baths at this point she is stained a faint blue.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this too. I wasn't sure how much weight that tip would carry so I just went overboard.

Hard to explain, but what I did was put the spool on, drill a hole through the spool AND rod. Drill where you want the cable to start winding, so it goes in correct direction of spool threads, etc. Then I fished the cable through the end of the rod (ie, the openings on the side), so the derailleur cable tip (along with the compression fitting) ends up on the INSIDE of the rod. Now you have the cable sticking out of the rod already lined up on the spool.

I can print you a couple or dig up the STL file.. it's in a thread here somewhere. I have a 2" rod also so the file should already work for yours.
Thanks a lot. This plus the pics make it clear. Since you are in Canada, might be easier to get them done here so the file would suffice. I thought you were in Mandeville, Louisiana. :)

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot. This plus the pics make it clear. Since you are in Canada, might be easier to get them done here so the file would suffice. I thought you were in Mandeville, Louisiana. :)

I am definitely in Louisiana! Here is the STL file. It fit fine for me with no scaling, fits tight.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely in Louisiana! Here is the STL file. It fit fine for me with no scaling, fits tight.
Oh, OK. My bad. I saw something in this thread where you said something about needing some type of store in Canada. So that was why. Thanks for the file.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and my GFCI tripped. Turns out it’s my Varios 6. I’ve been having problems with it. So now I have to drive an hour to get a pump. ‍:mad:

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My velvet-stricken swallowtail angel is finished with chloroquine phosphate. Looks like she will survive! ;Joyful

She has been through 16 Cipro/MB baths! I’ve also had to fight off two separate internal infections with food soaked in metro/neo but it seems to have worked.

She just has to make out through observation and two rounds of prazi now.

It took an unbelievable amount of work and money to save her. Pre-quarantined fish are a good deal!

37F2D530-AB4F-4C93-B11D-BF4E7CCF1284.jpeg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the pictures for you...

00B7D821-E48F-474A-8AC3-7776BA6E321A.jpeg
801E18C1-FCDF-4E83-82C8-E8157C4680F9.jpeg
294DB109-DAFD-458A-8618-9EADDE3BF9FF.jpeg
4BD8CB5F-56B4-4E12-B60E-0C950B426CB7.jpeg
So have a question for you on the motor brackets. I want to mount the brackets using the side holes not the back holes to the sides of the canopy. The one on the motor side isn’t an issue because it has the square seat to put the square tenon into and the lock it down with the cotter pin. Plenty of clearance. The other side has a star like cutout that the square tenon for the wheel to go into. The issue is since I’m using the side bracket, the tenon can’t go all the way through enough to slip the cotter pin through. The wood blocks it from going all the way through. If this makes sense, how did you handle this? Thanks.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? How are things coming along?
Things are going great, but I’ve been busy at work and still haven’t put a single coral in yet. I’m still quarantining fish though... planning to add an Achilles tang and maybe 6-8 ignitus anthias and then be done with fish.

I sort of abandoned this thread because it seemed like everyone lost interest and I mostly hang out on another forum. ;) I‘ll probably relocate over there at some point.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy made it through quarantine, he’s doing great in the display and ate all my aiptasia.
41A9F2DF-15B2-4892-ADC5-1E17A74E7395.jpeg

I have a male and female blue throat, a couple genicanthus angels, a filefish, and some chalk bass in quarantine now.

He’s a nice 5” guy...
66FF177C-3B5A-4BE2-93AE-D2D08D2F4E60.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back