Kenya Tree Brown Ring Around Stalks

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I noticed on one of my Kenya’s that both of its stalks have a brown ring around them almost looks like it’s rotting in that area. It’s been like this for over a couple months and hasn’t really significantly expanded or stopped the coral from continuously dropping a million stalks. But it looks slightly more pronounced today and I am curious if anyone has seen this before? Parameters are good and corals are growing like weeds including this kenya tree but also another kenya right next to it that is not showing any signs of this.

Sg - 1.025
ca - 470
mag - 1350
alk - 9.3
nitrate. - 5
phos - .07

Honestly this coral has been ticking me off with all of the stalks it’s dropped so I am not super attached to it but maybe it would benefit from a Coral rx or iodine dip? If these big stalks don’t make it, the coral will live on through its many babies around my tank lol

thanks!

6A351574-8799-4E56-970B-62B2B442ACF0.jpeg E3418E6A-091F-42FD-9D8E-BE719FA0F2AE.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your dialogue and after looking at the pictures I wonder if someone put rubber bands on the coral that are pinching them?

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I noticed on one of my Kenya’s that both of its stalks have a brown ring around them almost looks like it’s rotting in that area. It’s been like this for over a couple months and hasn’t really significantly expanded or stopped the coral from continuously dropping a million stalks. But it looks slightly more pronounced today and I am curious if anyone has seen this before? Parameters are good and corals are growing like weeds including this kenya tree but also another kenya right next to it that is not showing any signs of this.

Sg - 1.025
ca - 470
mag - 1350
alk - 9.3
nitrate. - 5
phos - .07

Honestly this coral has been ticking me off with all of the stalks it’s dropped so I am not super attached to it but maybe it would benefit from a Coral rx or iodine dip? If these big stalks don’t make it, the coral will live on through its many babies around my tank lol

thanks!

6A351574-8799-4E56-970B-62B2B442ACF0.jpeg E3418E6A-091F-42FD-9D8E-BE719FA0F2AE.jpeg
Every tree I had came with that trunk ring

OP
OP
george9

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your dialogue and after looking at the pictures I wonder if someone put rubber bands on the coral that are pinching them?
that could be maybe at some point in its life. It really didn’t start until the coral started growing quick and the stalk got very thick

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that could be maybe at some point in its life. It really didn’t start until the coral started growing quick and the stalk got very thick
I have not seen any other illnesses in soft coral that have rings like your picture. I have seen trees with support wires or sprinkler hose wrapped around them that produced similar ring like damage.
I would slice across one of those rings to see if there is a buried mechanical irritation that the coral is trying to grow over.

Still, it could be something else that is causing the symptoms. Let’s see what other people think/know about the situation.

OP
OP
george9

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tree I had came with that trunk ring
So this isn’t abnormal at all? My other kenya doesn’t show this and this is something that showed up in the last couple months as the coral’s growth accelerated

I am thinking since it is on 2 stalks at approximately the same level, maybe it is damaged flesh from where I glued the coral to the piece of rubble? It started as quite a small little branch. Maybe it since has grown and the damaged area that was glued remains but healthy flesh has grown below it? I’ve never had super glue gel damage coral flesh, but this is the only thing I can think of other than a literal rubber band around the coral which appears unlikely.

I am just hoping it isn’t bacterial because my neon green kenya is very close and would likely become infected as well. Although the slow progression of it and the growth of the coral makes me seem it can’t be an infection

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow and “cool beans” regarding these rings that other people are chiming in to report the same thing on their softy trees.

Seems like a thing that is known but not understood yet?

I have seen a few Kenya trees that were damaged and rotting at the base, and sometimes they were discolored but never in a ring pattern like the Op demonstrated. Those trees looked good except for the mysterious ring. Maybe some one else will check in the thread with unpublished data regarding the origins of the Kenya Ring!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If these were purchased, they likely as stated were tied to frags with rubber bands which shrink in saltwater why I dont like the rubberband method. I had many and never had rings.
While they make nice fillers for coral scape, they can get very invasive.

OP
OP
george9

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I cannot see any sign of rubber bands but it would make sense that the marks became more apparent as the trunk got wider and the hypothetical rubber band became tighter. I just cant seem to see any rubber bands around them even with a flashlight. Maybe it occcured before I received the frag but it's been in my care for over 8 months now.

I agree they are pretty invasive an most hate them but for some reason I can't get myself to get rid of them. They just look so pretty waving in the flow

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this isn’t abnormal at all? My other kenya doesn’t show this and this is something that showed up in the last couple months as the coral’s growth accelerated

I am thinking since it is on 2 stalks at approximately the same level, maybe it is damaged flesh from where I glued the coral to the piece of rubble? It started as quite a small little branch. Maybe it since has grown and the damaged area that was glued remains but healthy flesh has grown below it? I’ve never had super glue gel damage coral flesh, but this is the only thing I can think of other than a literal rubber band around the coral which appears unlikely.

I am just hoping it isn’t bacterial because my neon green kenya is very close and would likely become infected as well. Although the slow progression of it and the growth of the coral makes me seem it can’t be an infection
As others have said it could be from mounting practices. One thing for sure I've never had issues with any with it on them. If anything they themselves were the problem.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back