Kenya tree

Joel Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got this piece from my LFS, supposedly a client left it at the store and the guy said it has never open up, the client told them it was a kenya tree, my LFS sold it to me for 3 bucks and i said i would take it to see if it open up in my tank, the first day i got it i did a peroxide dip, and i did it again yesterday, it hasnt been a week yet since i got it, but i wanted some advice or ideas about how i can help this guy get back to normal, i noticed 2 days ago it had some red dots all over it, now it just has some algae-like stuff on top of it, so what should i do to make this thing grow again?

E04BD982-8D23-42FC-B2AA-11B36ABBB3BF.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like a leather. Looks like it’s got a shiny film on it. I believe it is going to shed. I would get into a moderate flow area.

The red/brown dots I believe whould have been polyps coming out.

OP
OP
J

Joel Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like a leather. Looks like it’s got a shiny film on it. I believe it is going to shed. I would get into a moderate flow area.

The red/brown dots I believe whould have been polyps coming out.
Yea i does look like shedding, im just not sure what it is, the polyps were out just one day and havent seen them again, its weird

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During a move, you touch it, a fish touches it you look at it funny they will close up and film over and shed. They usually are bigger after shedding. Maintain water and good flow. Mine like moderate to indirect heavy flow.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it moderate to higher flow and leave it be. These corals really hate to be dipped and will stay closed for weeks at a time.
I see a rock anemone in the image so the systems lighting and chemistry can support this soft coral type. If it starts to turns black than toss it as that is a sign of rot.

OP
OP
J

Joel Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it moderate to higher flow and leave it be. These corals really hate to be dipped and will stay closed for weeks at a time.
I see a rock anemone in the image so the systems lighting and chemistry can support this soft coral type. If it starts to turns black than toss it as that is a sign of rot.
Thanks for the advice bro, i guess ill calm down a bit lol and be patient, and yea theres a rock nem close to it and to the right side of it i have a GSP and they are all doing great

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back