Kenya trees and gorgonians

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a healthy Kenya Tree specimen a few months ago for a just-cycled 40g cube; it opened up well and seemed to enjoy its site. Then, when I added some other softies, including a purple nephthea and grube's gorgonian, it sulked. The gorgonian refused to open as well (it had been fine). The Kenya was at least a foot away from the other corals, but they were downstream of it and the nephthea. I then moved the Kenya Tree to my Evo, which had a recently-added gorgonian of unknown provenance, and the Kenya Tree is thriving. The gorgonian refused to open after the addition, so I moved the gorg to a pest jar where it seems to be enjoying itself. The gorg was about 2 inches away from the Kenya in the Evo, and downstream of it.

Were the Kenya Trees affecting the gorgonians, or is it just coincidence? I was using Chemi Pure Blue on both builds, but no straight carbon. I didn't do any water changes during this time, either.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the kenya.was affecting anything. I would run some parameter tests

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the kenya.was affecting anything. I would run some parameter tests
I think it was just normal variation, but those corals were too close together anyway. Everyone seems happier now and is open. Parameters are "fine": I'm getting weird NH3 variations in my 40g with readings varying between 0.003 and 0.007 per hour, but I have to replace my Seneye slide tomorrow, so I'm not sure if that means anything.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t get a pic while it was in. Excuse the algae: jar is 3 mos old.

Attachments

• B994F56D-350C-4AAB-98B7-F1C44BD370B3.jpeg
    B994F56D-350C-4AAB-98B7-F1C44BD370B3.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 103

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like something else. Every once in a blue moon, my KT will sulk and not rise up for a day or so. I take it as the canary in the coal mine and do a water change, even if parameters look ok. Works every time.... the next day.... perky as ever.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Kenyii can release a low level of toxins. Try adding a small pouch of ChemiPure elite which will remove toxins and neutralize nitrates which may be at slight elevated level. Though some varieties can produce noxious chemicals, the Kenya Tree Coral is not normally considered a threat to hard corals and in fact may be affected or disturbed by the presence of other corals but can affect soft coral.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most leather corals, Kenya trees shed. It takes mine several days to complete the process, and during that time they are completely shriveled up.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenyii can release a low level of toxins. Try adding a small pouch of ChemiPure elite which will remove toxins and neutralize nitrates which may be at slight elevated level. Though some varieties can produce noxious chemicals, the Kenya Tree Coral is not normally considered a threat to hard corals and in fact may be affected or disturbed by the presence of other corals but can affect soft coral.
My KT is now shedding (not apparently from stress) and I've dropped a branchlet back in the jar. I'm going to try to place the airstone in a perforated acrylic holder with some chemipure, as I'm hoping it will help with the algae, too. The only snail in there isn't doing much, and it'll be a few weeks before I can get any more.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My KT is now shedding (not apparently from stress) and I've dropped a branchlet back in the jar. I'm going to try to place the airstone in a perforated acrylic holder with some chemipure, as I'm hoping it will help with the algae, too. The only snail in there isn't doing much, and it'll be a few weeks before I can get any more.
Chemipure elite is best but BLUE will also work

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back