Kessil a360x and IM 30 gal Lagoon: settings check

Dreadneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Just looking for a sanity check or some guidance since there are so many settings and options!

I have a Kessil a360x Tuna Blue light on an Innovative Marine 30-gallon Lagoon tank. The Tank water depth is only 13 inches (length is 35 inches), so I know I do not want the light at 100%.
I have just one a360x light, and it is centered on the tank, and the bottom of Light is about 9 inches from water line. I will consider purchasing another if needed, but since I do not have much in my tank, I thought one would be sufficient for now

Currently, I have been taking it slow and have only a Hawaiian Bubble Tip Anemone and GSP in the tank.

Could you let me know if you think this light schedule, color (prefer more blueish), and intensity seem okay for the depth of my tank and the a360x?

8AM

· Color 0
· Intensity 0

9AM

· Color 10
· Intensity 10

11 AM

· Color 20
· Intensity 20

Noon

· Color 25
· Intensity 30

3 PM

· Color 30
· Intensity 50

5 PM

· Color 30
· Intensity 50

7 PM

· Color 25
· Intensity 40

7 PM

· Color 25
· Intensity 40

10 PM

· Color 0
· Intensity 0

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

20230817_114852.jpg 20230817_114908.jpg 20230817_114914.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would add the violet channel to match your intensity schedule and maybe a little red and green 5% or so. You'll probably add another 360x down the road, as a single fixture won't do the job on that long of a tank. Your rock is split into two bommies, so ideally you'll want to cover those with more light to fill those areas properly.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the 360's for my 90g. Peak is 5 hours with intensity at 90%. Some of my nems are as close as they can get, some lower.

P.S get the gsp at least a few inches away from your main structure. Do not allow it to start covering it.

OP
OP
D

Dreadneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add the violet channel to match your intensity schedule and maybe a little red and green 5% or so. You'll probably add another 360x down the road, as a single fixture won't do the job on that long of a tank. Your rock is split into two bommies, so ideally you'll want to cover those with more light to fill those areas properly.
Thanks for the reply ! I added the violet to match intensity, adeed 5% red 3% green ane see how that goes for a bit. I could move the light more to the right side where the Anemone and GSP is untill I purchase a second one

OP
OP
D

Dreadneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the 360's for my 90g. Peak is 5 hours with intensity at 90%. Some of my nems are as close as they can get, some lower.

P.S get the gsp at least a few inches away from your main structure. Do not allow it to start covering it.
How deep is your tank? I picked 55% (maybe 60%) as max intensity for now because I saw that the Kessil a360x depth was 24in since my depth is 12 to 13 inches I figured half that intensity would work. I will pull the GSP way a bit so it doesn;t start to go over everywhere! - Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is your tank? I picked 55% (maybe 60%) as max intensity for now because I saw that the Kessil a360x depth was 24in since my depth is 12 to 13 inches I figured half that intensity would work. I will pull the GSP way a bit so it doesn;t start to go over everywhere! - Thanks!
I have gsp and nems 7-8 inches under the light and some at the bottom. Nothing kills gsp, trust me. I wish something did.

OP
OP
D

Dreadneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@minus9

I moved the light to the right side of the tank where the Anemone and GSP are and it is about 8" form water line. I didn't expect the spread to fall off as quickly - you can see the left side is much darker. Light it just in ramp with low intensity, but it is more noticeable in person than in the photo. Definitely need 2!

Attachments

• 20230819_093505.jpg
    20230819_093505.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 52

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@minus9

I moved the light to the right side of the tank where the Anemone and GSP are and it is about 8" form water line. I didn't expect the spread to fall off as quickly - you can see the left side is much darker. Light it just in ramp with low intensity, but it is more noticeable in person than in the photo. Definitely need 2!
Yeah, they can cover a good area, but their form factor prevents them from covering a large area (especially a rectangle). The light/fixture is design to cover a more oval/round area, so lighting a rectangle is going to be difficult no matter what. I have two 360x's over my IM 25 ext, not that a single one couldn't cover that tank, but I wanted uniform coverage. These lights are very versatile, but you have to be aware of their limitations. I would just plan on adding a second one later on as you add more animals/corals.

OP
OP
D

Dreadneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they can cover a good area, but their form factor prevents them from covering a large area (especially a rectangle). The light/fixture is design to cover a more oval/round area, so lighting a rectangle is going to be difficult no matter what. I have two 360x's over my IM 25 ext, not that a single one couldn't cover that tank, but I wanted uniform coverage. These lights are very versatile, but you have to be aware of their limitations. I would just plan on adding a second one later on as you add more animals/corals.
I am wondering - instead of buying a second a360x at ~$450 plus another $50 for the mount - if maybe I should just get different lights that would work better for the tank?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am wondering - instead of buying a second a360x at ~$450 plus another $50 for the mount - if maybe I should just get different lights that would work better for the tank?
You can keep the 360x and use a couple Quanta Pro bars? I personally like point source lighting, as it provides contrast and shadows, which are a little more natural than blanket lighting. I prefer to mix bars with point source lighting, as it gives me coverage and contrast.

OP
OP
D

Dreadneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look into the Quanta Pro bars. What do you think of replacing the Kessil a360x for AI Prime HD16? The person at the LFS was suggesting I swap out for the HD Prime 16 instead - said they are easier, better spread, par and grows corals better than Kessil for a tank my size. In my research I didn't really see that as they both seem good.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will look into the Quanta Pro bars. What do you think of replacing the Kessil a360x for AI Prime HD16? The person at the LFS was suggesting I swap out for the HD Prime 16 instead - said they are easier, better spread, par and grows corals better than Kessil for a tank my size. In my research I didn't really see that as they both seem good.
The Prime hd16 is a 55w fixture and the 360x is 90w, so it’s not a direct comparison. Plus, the spectral output of Kessil is better than the prime. I’m not sure I would trust that advice from the LFS, seems like they’re trying get a sale instead of giving good advice? You would need 3 prime’s to cover your tank. A panel style fixture soups give you better coverage, but you have a great light, so I don’t see a need to switch fixtures at this point.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already have one of the best lights out there. Might as well get another. I have two that I'm using for a 36"x24"x12"high. Yeah they advertise them as being able to penetrate 24 inches, but that don't mean anything.
How much light penetrates that deep is the question. In a shallow tank, 8 inches off the surface will get plenty of light down to everything, but yeah, with the spread you need two.

They should make some kind of Ovate Shaped reflector to suit rectangular tanks. The spread is way too much in my opinion and that reduces a lot of the useable light.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back