Kessil A360X vs Radion XR30 (One more Time!)

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been asking a thousand questions lately and had made a decision until something came up today, apologies for all the questions.

Tank is Display DIMS: Length 34.79” Width: 10.13” Height: 12.99”

I decided I'd be going with a brand new Kessil A360X & a A360W (4 Years Old)

But today a hobbyist is shutting down their tank and is selling 2 Radion Gen 4 XR30s, approximately 2 years old, non pro version.

Is it worth selling the Kessils and picking up the Radions?

Thanks

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's your goal with the tank? What corals would you like to keep? That shallow of a tank, any of those lights will do the job nicely, but I kinda favor Kessil's. If the XR30's were the pro version, then you would have something to think about.

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your goal with the tank? What corals would you like to keep? That shallow of a tank, any of those lights will do the job nicely, but I kinda favor Kessil's. If the XR30's were the pro version, then you would have something to think about.
Honestly the goal is probably 1 Bubble Tip Anemone, 2 clownfish, I like the look of Hammer and Torch Coral,Green Star Polyps, Finger Leather Corals, Pulsing Xenia, so I think some very hardy, on the "easier" side Coral.

I just assumed since the Kessils compete with the XR15, that the XR30 was a no brainer and more capable.

But you'd still go with the Kessils?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it’s going to be hard to light a tank with those dimensions with either light without supplementing. I love Kessil’s, but I would look at something completely different that matches your tanks dimensions. You could do one 360x with led bars or one radion, but you’re still going to need fill light for the length. Radions either need a diffuser or mounted really high, but mounting them high would mean a huge amount of light spill. Reef Brite makes a hybrid bracket with xho’s that can be used with the lights you’ve listed. Or you can simply swap out for a couple light bars and be done with it altogether? I honestly wouldn’t stick with either light in your situation, but rather a light that would cover your tank on its own. Just something to think about.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reefbright hybrid with the kessils should make for a stunning display with kessil shimmer and the vhos in the reefbrights would give you a nice blanketed coverage. Should be able to grow most anything in the yank with that setup

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s going to be hard to light a tank with those dimensions with either light without supplementing. I love Kessil’s, but I would look at something completely different that matches your tanks dimensions. You could do one 360x with led bars or one radion, but you’re still going to need fill light for the length. Radions either need a diffuser or mounted really high, but mounting them high would mean a huge amount of light spill. Reef Brite makes a hybrid bracket with xho’s that can be used with the lights you’ve listed. Or you can simply swap out for a couple light bars and be done with it altogether? I honestly wouldn’t stick with either light in your situation, but rather a light that would cover your tank on its own. Just something to think about.
I'm reading the question is: 2 Kessil 360s or 2 Radion XR30s?

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I'm a bit confused because from what I'm reading and been told, the 2 Kessils would cover the entire tank fairly easily and because of the height, the intensity would not need to be too high either. So I was concerned with the XR30s that it would be overkill and like you said would have to be hung up pretty high and would result in light bleeding. But I was hoping to maybe mount them and have them at like 30% intensity or so.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’ll need the diffusers for the xr30’s and yes, the Kessil’s will cover the tank with reduced intensity. I think 6” to 8” high for the Kessil’s, maybe 10” or so apart. Try them out since you have them and see how it looks? The problem with the xr30’s would be the fixed position of the pucks with no way of moving them away from each other. But comparing the xr30’s to a 360 is wrong, as it should be 360 vs xr15, so one xr30 is equal to two 360’s. Also, the “x” version offers better options as the “we” version, so the only way to match is to use the knobs on top or not using the individual colors of the “x” version. I would sell the older version and spring for the newer version, which will get you better options and coverage.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back