Kessil vs radion

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading tank to the following dimensions in acrylic 60x28x30 3/4 inch thick. I currently have 1 AP9X, and 1 a360x for 2 smaller tanks. The idea is to run the AP9X in the center and 2 a360x one on each side of the new upgraded tank.

Here’s my debate. I’ve heard people like the shimmer and look of the kessil better. The pros of using kessil is I already have 2 and need to buy 1 more. Or I could sell the 2 I currently have and go to radion XR30 g6 instead. My questions is will there be sufficient light with the 3 kessil? Planning on running mixed reef. Thanks in advance for all the help!

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would rate the radions higher than kessils as I don’t like the way light is delivered (point source) with the kessils. Adding T5’s would be optimal as it mimics how illumination functions in nature (well, as close to it as we can get).

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you need more light, than add some Quanta Pro bars or Reefi Uno Pro's, especially if you have the Kessil's already. I would buy Reefi's over Radions all day long. One Reefi Uno Pro 2.0 is $50 cheaper than an XR15, but more powerful than the XR30, so you do the math. Also, comparing Kessil and Radion isn't a direct comparison. They are two completely different types of LEDs, panel/point source.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya you already have the kessils. Why waste the money? Add a 3rd and get a couple quanta light bars

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils will work fine. Their downfall is shadowing because of a single point of light which the Radions manage to eliminate by way of magic or something. Either way, Kessils or Radions are probably the best name-brand lights available and you can't go wrong either way. I'd stick with Kessils because you already have some and the resale value isn't high enough to justify eating the cost of new radions IMO

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils have amazing distribution. On my tank I have them 3in above the water, 2 360x on a 4ft tank and each light distributes nearly 100 par to the entire other side of the tank. This is the best attribute of the kessils. they get bashed for being a single light source and yet they have 3x the spread needed to overcome that. Each generation got better in that aspect by a lot. The a360x is way better than the a360 which is way better than the a350. Those 3 lights with supplementation is def all you need. I supplement with reefbrite lumi lights and there is a new strip light by ai that looks killer as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back