Kessil A80 Arm

smoke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kessil A80 with a mounting arm. I am surprised and really disappointed to find that the finish on the arm can not withstand saltwater. My arm mounting bracket is submerged about 1/4 inch into my tank. To my surprise, the finish on the arm has been completely worn off from the water. You would think that a company that sells saltwater products would ensure that the products can withstand saltwater!

Anyone else have this problem?

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@smoke - I just got the A80 along with the arm and just have setup. Could you share a pic of what you mean? Worn off - does that mean something has gone into the tank?

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@smoke - seems superficial and agree that should not have worn off. Concern I have is the paint or whatever is worn off is floating around. Does not seem like much but on a nano that could be a concern. Appreciate you sharing.

OP
OP
smoke

smoke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really not a big deal, just more surprised that it didn't hold up better

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats odd. The arms for my 360 series Kessil, bigger but same design as the A80, have not been submerged for any length of time, but still subjected to saltwater and I've never seen the paint flake off like that.

AquaThumb83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's caused by electrolysis. It is odd that it happened so quick but anything metal especially aluminum will do that due to the electrical current (albeit negligible) running through it. Most boats used in saltwater have the same problem even though the motors are designed to be run in it. The only thing that would help is to install a sacrificial anode but we definitely don't want to be doing that in our aquariums.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back