Kessil AP700 vs AI Hydra Fifty Two.... maybe something else? HELP!!!

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36 x 16 x 16 tank that I'm wanting to use as a mixed reef tank. SPS up higher on the rocks, LPS and softies lower down and on the sand. I can't decide if a single Hydra Fifty Two will do the job. @Ryanbrs did a great video that showed 3 prime HD would possibly be enough par but I'm just torn because I really like the Kessil too. Is the Kessil worth the extra $300. From everything I've read the Hydra Fifty Two will work amazingly but since I can't see either in person it's such a tough call! What do you guys think? Any input would be greatly appreciated.... If I'm missing something that might work better I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get what you want. Eairher one.
Both will work just fine.

I know what you want. You know know what you want. It will work just fine.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36 x 16 x 16 tank that I'm wanting to use as a mixed reef tank. SPS up higher on the rocks, LPS and softies lower down and on the sand. I can't decide if a single Hydra Fifty Two will do the job. @Ryanbrs did a great video that showed 3 prime HD would possibly be enough par but I'm just torn because I really like the Kessil too. Is the Kessil worth the extra $300. From everything I've read the Hydra Fifty Two will work amazingly but since I can't see either in person it's such a tough call! What do you guys think? Any input would be greatly appreciated.... If I'm missing something that might work better I'd love to hear about it.

I have the Ap700 on my tank at home and Hydra 52 at the tank at work. Both get great growth and do the job but the color tones, shimmer, overall look of the tank the Kessil hands down. Also the App sucks for Hydra and is a pain to use and program compared to the Ap700. Both are great lights but that’s my opinion.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back