Kessil AP9x Apex Advanced Control

Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some help on controlling a Kessil AP9x by an Apex 2016 through the IOTA interface.

The new IOTA connection allows full spectrum control:
Screenshot from 2022-02-20 03-04-19.png
Screenshot from 2022-02-20 03-04-34.png
If you look in the 'advanced' section it shows the programming of the spectrum in the tdata line

What I'm trying to do is setup a virtual outlet called 'Kessil_Shim' that I can turn on when showing off the tank. It should
1) Ramp down the T5's to 0 over 60 seconds
2) Ramp up the intensity of the AP9x's to a higher %
3) Shift the display color spectrum to 'show off'

1 & 2 are pretty easy and straightforward. I'm having trouble with #3.
When I copy all the numbers like they're listed in 'tdata' into the virtual outlet line it truncates everything after the intensity number.
Screenshot from 2022-02-20 03-33-58.png
Screenshot from 2022-02-20 02-59-30.png
Does anyone know how to enter in specific spectrum numbers into a line on advanced settings?
A way for one line to set up a line like there is in tdata?

Any help is appreciated

OP
OP
Michael-JT

Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure you can only enter a single number with the "Then" statement, such as on/off/value (speed, intensity, etc.)
Thanks for the reply.
Is there any other way to enter in besides an if/then statement?
It's nice having the IOTA integration into Apex..But I think the one thing still missing is being able to set a certain intensity & spectrum at the flip of a virtual outlet.
Picture mode -> all white with high intensity
display mode -> deep blues with medium intensity
etc
These 'modes' can be available with VO's, but how to enter the intensity /and/ spectrum into advanced programming?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael-JT

Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you’re trying to use apex/fusion to control the light and not the native app? Just curious.
Yes, I use it in conjunction with an Aquatic Life T5 dx18. The rise and falls are both programmed together in Apex.
The Apex with its 'virtual outlets' can be used for one-click settings.
When I want to show off the kessil shimmer I can shut down the T5's and raise the Kessils, one-click in Apex.
Or, for me personally, I have one of the Apex feed cycles set to trigger a lighting change.
But if I want to 'one-click' a certain intensity /and/ spectrum, I'm needing help.

Upvote 0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By using the Apex to control your Kessil lights you can accomplish the goals that you laid out. But at the cost of the intuitive simple control provided by the Kessil app. Not a trade that I would make. I don't change my lights on my reef to "show off" either so I guess there is that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael-JT

Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By using the Apex to control your Kessil lights you can accomplish the goals that you laid out. But at the cost of the intuitive simple control provided by the Kessil app. Not a trade that I would make. I don't change my lights on my reef to "show off" either so I guess there is that.
Also things like
Photography mode
Night viewing mode
Maintenance mode
Some people like using their expensive equipment to the fullest possible,

so I guess there is that.

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always in "show off" mode ;)

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also things like
Photography mode
Night viewing mode
Maintenance mode

The longer you set your lights and LEAVE them alone kinda like our sun, the better..

So I guess there's that

Upvote 0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also things like
Photography mode
Night viewing mode
Maintenance mode

Like I said all great things that you can do with your Apex and Kessils. I guess I prefer my expensive equipment to control its self with its really nice app the comes native with it.
No extra work required. It just works. Pretty nice. So I guess there is that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael-JT

Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always in "show off" mode ;)
That's awesome! I hope to get there one day
I've found that when I sit down in front of my tank I like a lot deeper/darker blue then what I have it running at for coral growth. Just a personal preference.
This is why I'm so intrigued by 'Kessil Logic' where I can really play with the visible light and it keeps it 'correct' behind the scenes. But I wouldn't want the tank running all day on the deep blue I set it to when it's time to sit down and enjoy.

Years ago we didn't have any kind of options like this. What MH bulbs, or T5 etc, you used was the only way you could view your tank. No light spectrum shift, no ramp, or dimming at all.

Just a tech geek here looking for more ways to play with toys.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael-JT

Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer you set your lights and LEAVE them alone kinda like our sun, the better..

So I guess there's that
I'm not looking to change the base lighting schedule in any way. I have a set schedule that repeats daily.

What I'm looking for is a simple virtual outlet that can be a one-button-switch for times like
1) Hey, I have a few minutes to sit in front of my tank. Ramp up the reds and greens for pop temporarly while I look, but wouldn't run them this high regularly.
2) I want to snap a picture of this..turn the blues off and whites to max for a minute
3) I'm doing maintenance, do this..

One-button-clicks for /temporary/ preset changes, not changing base schedule at all.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael-JT

Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said all great things that you can do with your Apex and Kessils. I guess I prefer my expensive equipment to control its self with its really nice app the comes native with it.
No extra work required. It just works. Pretty nice. So I guess there is that.
So why have you done this in my thread asking about Apex advanced programming?
Just to come in and say "I don't do that"?
Do you have anything relevant/helpful to add?

So far, the answer is no.
So I guess there is that. Please leave my thread.

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(My opinion) I still don't do that because even a few minutes of random lighting can mess with corals normalcy. I have my tank in a completely dark room and don't even interrupt the lights out period as much as I can.

I set the lighting schedule around my schedule and the "non show off" lighting comes on when I'm away or during the day with t5 and then at night when I'm home and enjoying the tank I let it hit all the blues and u.v popping, but its a absolute steady schedule that never changes

accept slowly raising the intensity when needing to work up the par, messing with the colors and making random lighting effects every day or even every few days causes a weird episode in the ecosystem.

I understand what your getting at and trying to do. my tank has points all thru the day the light is always different every hour or less, but its that same way every day.

Here's my favorite time its the last 30 min of the day b4 lights out."show off mode"

I just got that kessil ap9x haven't put it to use yet but it looks sweet, smaller than I thought, but cool light! (I use kessil360x's & t5's)

Attachments

• 20220213_221613.jpg
    20220213_221613.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael-JT

Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(My opinion) I still don't do that because even a few minutes of random lighting can mess with corals normalcy. I have my tank in a completely dark room and don't even interrupt the lights out period as much as I can.

I set the lighting schedule around my schedule and the "non show off" lighting comes on when I'm away or during the day with t5 and then at night when I'm home and enjoying the tank I let it hit all the blues and u.v popping, but its a absolute steady schedule that never changes

accept slowly raising the intensity when needing to work up the par, messing with the colors and making random lighting effects every day or even every few days causes a weird episode in the ecosystem.

I understand what your getting at and trying to do. my tank has points all thru the day the light is always different every hour or less, but its that same way every day.

Here's my favorite time its the last 30 min of the day b4 lights out."show off mode"

I just got that kessil ap9x haven't put it to use yet but it looks sweet, smaller than I thought, but cool light! (I use kessil360x's & t5's)
That's a lot to think about. What you're saying makes a lot of sense.

I agree with you about the last 30 minutes of the day. When it's all deep blue.
Since when I get to enjoy my tank time varies I was trying to replicate this look at whenever I had my moment of tank time.

I'm absolutely loving the 9x and how it's transformed my tank. With the IOTA in Apex, and the 9x already having WiFi built in, it was no cost to link it. Now I'm a geek being a geek.

But you made me go back and think again. I've notice my fish jump around if I turn the light on in the next room.
Thank you for giving me something to think about. I probably won't do this now.. And even reconsider the manual changes I make occasionally.

I'd still like to know how to do the programming if anyone knows the correct syntax to use to accomplish this, but now it's just for programming knowledge and answering the question. So if anyone is fluent in Apex IOTA advanced?

Upvote 0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I use it in conjunction with an Aquatic Life T5 dx18. The rise and falls are both programmed together in Apex.
The Apex with its 'virtual outlets' can be used for one-click settings.
When I want to show off the kessil shimmer I can shut down the T5's and raise the Kessils, one-click in Apex.
Or, for me personally, I have one of the Apex feed cycles set to trigger a lighting change.
But if I want to 'one-click' a certain intensity /and/ spectrum, I'm needing help.
All good, just curious. We have a lot of options, just curious to see what people are doing with their lights.

Upvote 0

bwagner_vt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to do the same thing, as I agree with a photo mode or as you said a light that makes the corals look better and another light scheme that makes the fish look better.

I posted the request on Neptune’s forum and got the following response.

“You can't until Neptune adds profile support for IOTA kessil. All you can do now is schedule and turn the light completely off based on other conditions.”

The quick way I found was to save the scheme for each then manually load them…I was hoping to do it with a switch…but it will have to do for now.

“So I guess there’s that”

Upvote 0

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to do the same thing, as I agree with a photo mode or as you said a light that makes the corals look better and another light scheme that makes the fish look better.

I posted the request on Neptune’s forum and got the following response.

“You can't until Neptune adds profile support for IOTA kessil. All you can do now is schedule and turn the light completely off based on other conditions.”

The quick way I found was to save the scheme for each then manually load them…I was hoping to do it with a switch…but it will have to do for now.

“So I guess there’s that”
Searching for the same issue today and found this post. Did some hack and it seems we could use the Radion Profile for Kessil, with some hacks:

Radion -> Kessel
Blue -> Green
White -> purple
Royal blue -> red
Warm white -> blue
Violet -> White

I'm able to create a one button display mode with this hack.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back