Kessil Dongle

Puff Daddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing the dongle for about 3 weeks. It works well and the app is a massive improvement from the one for the ap700. The UX is really good and it is very feature rich. It is easy to connect to your home network and once you are connected you no longer have to connect directly to the dongle. The settings sync with a google, facebook, or twitter account so you can always redownload them if something goes wrong. The device itself is about the size of a keyfob. It is nice to have something smaller than that ecotech bridge, though you still need to hard wire your lights to the one with the fob. This is not a big deal when the lights are on the same tank as you have power cables anyway. Separate tanks that are far apart will probably require you to buy a dongle for each tank depending on how long you can run a USB-C between then.

A downside is the dongle is only compatible with the a360x line of lights. The spectral controller x works with all the standard 0-10v lights and the a360x. I assume they will slowly update those other lights to USB-C (K-link) so they become compatible. Once everything is updated it will be a very nice system for controlling all things kessil.

Also $100 is kind of steep. It is the same price as the Spectral Controller X, which is a large device with a screen, buttons, multiple ports. $50 is probably a more appropriate price point.

Positives are that since every light is not communicating over wifi, it significantly reduces wifi signal pollution. This is especially true for large setups using 6 or more lights. It also makes the a360x slightly more future proof as you could probably upgrade the dongle without changing the light if some new features came out.

So, the app is great. The dongle is expensive (at least you only need one). So far I am pretty happy. Check out my review and if you have any more questions about it post below.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be getting two 360x's next month and honestly I'll more than likely stick with the spectral controller. There's nothing better than hardwiring something and once I get my lights set I'll rarely mess with my settings so why bother with the more prone to error wifi dongle. Oh, and bring back my 3.5mm headphone jack on my cell phones as well. lol

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Kessils for a long time. Either the dongle or spectral controller is fine. After you dial in your settings on the spectral controller, there is no reason to mess with it again. Set it and forget it.

Puff Daddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Either will work fine since both are set it and forget it. I have had no errors with the dongle so I would say it is reliable so far but there is no reason to replace a spectral controller x if you already have it.

OP
OP
kkiel02

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well October is coming to an end soon. I haven’t heard anything even searching google for kessil WiFi dongle release date yielded no results. I hope this does not become another late launch like so many other products in this industry.
Hope they are just keeping it hush hush and will release it in the next week or so.

Teddy00024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well October is coming to an end soon. I haven’t heard anything even searching google for kessil WiFi dongle release date yielded no results. I hope this does not become another late launch like so many other products in this industry.
Hope they are just keeping it hush hush and will release it in the next week or so.

It’s out already. Mine is in the mail and on the way. I ordered it from aquacave but they are already sold out since it was the first batch. Might have to dig around locally or wait till online vendors restock.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectral controller works just as well. Not like you're going to fuss with light settings constantly.

OP
OP
kkiel02

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s out already. Mine is in the mail and on the way. I ordered it from aquacave but they are already sold out since it was the first batch. Might have to dig around locally or wait till online vendors restock.
Man I’ve been looking on all the bigger sites. Don’t know how it got passed me. I wanted to get the first couple ones to beat the rush but guess I missed them.

OP
OP
kkiel02

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectral controller works just as well. Not like you're going to fuss with light settings constantly.
I don’t have a place to put the controller. This tucks up nicely with the light. The only reason I am getting it is to ramp it up and down. I’ve been using a timer and manual controls since they were released.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the X series lights gets a new app but the AP700 app still needs to be revamped.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, So far not good at all.

The dongle connects to my wifi and is discoverable by the app but fails to connect on the last step.

Worse, the Kessil support page is broken. You can't fill anything in the message section of the email.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not good. I can’t believe I missed this... hopefully kessil will have more available soon.

Supposedly, the 25th is when it will be widely available. I got lucky with the marine depot in stock alert. It was at 530-6 in the morning last week when I got the email. I had posted something saying there were only 8 left on marine depots website. Once I checked back, they were gone.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said the spectral controller will work 100% of the time for you. If you dont have any room to mount it you have other problems.

OP
OP
kkiel02

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said the spectral controller will work 100% of the time for you. If you dont have any room to mount it you have other problems.
Sorry that’s not something I’m looking into. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back