Kessil H160 vs H380

drkcurrent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,

I recently upgraded from the H80 to the H380 to my refugium, but i think it may be over kill. It is about a 10 gal refuge that is 11x14 and the light is mounted about 12" above the water line. Unfortunately I cannot mount it any higher as it at the top of my cabinet. I have been running it for over a week and it has been fantastic but is it over kill? Should I return it for the more controllable but less powerful H160?

Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,

I recently upgraded from the H80 to the H380 to my refugium, but i think it may be over kill. It is about a 10 gal refuge that is 11x14 and the light is mounted about 12" above the water line. Unfortunately I cannot mount it any higher as it at the top of my cabinet. I have been running it for over a week and it has been fantastic but is it over kill? Should I return it for the more controllable but less powerful H160?

Thanks
My opinion, but I'd stick with the H380. Firstly because you already have it. Secondly because that light should be perfect for an 11x14 :)

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion, but I'd stick with the H380. Firstly because you already have it. Secondly because that light should be perfect for an 11x14 :)
How high is yours mounted @Crabs Mcjones ? I have mine about 10” above the water line on my 90 gallon sump with a 20x18 refugium section. When my chaeto was floating around it seemed to melt it so I put a rock on a corner to keep it at the bottom so 18” deep and now it’s dark green but have had zero growth. I do turn it every 3 days. The light also runs a full 12 hours. What are your suggestions as moved up to this light from a cfl clip on bulb where I had good but not great growth.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is yours mounted @Crabs Mcjones ? I have mine about 10” above the water line on my 90 gallon sump with a 20x18 refugium section. When my chaeto was floating around it seemed to melt it so I put a rock on a corner to keep it at the bottom so 18” deep and now it’s dark green but have had zero growth. I do turn it every 3 days. The light also runs a full 12 hours. What are your suggestions as moved up to this light from a cfl clip on bulb where I had good but not great growth.
Lower your period. 6 to 8 hours. Mine is around 10 inches away as well. But my fuge is considerably smaller.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the 160, 40 w more than enough for fuge, 90 is a cooker but since you own it reduce run time but if froggy sell it and enjoy cooler temps

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for a 20x18 I would raise it up much higher. Around the 16 to 18" area

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for a 20x18 I would raise it up much higher. Around the 16 to 18" area
It’s as high as I can get it in the stand. When I built my stand I wanted it to be 36” tall the wife told me she didn’t want to stand on a ladder to feed so of course she won and the stand is only 30” tall. Oh and after it was done she looked at me and said “ I guess that extra 6” would have been ok “ :mad::mad::mad:

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any input on the h160 vs h80? I will be growing chaeto in a milk crate. About 11x11.

corey

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back