Kessil lighting on Watebox Frag 105.4

Ced_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be setting up a mixed reef soon in a Waterbox Frag 105.4 (48x24x16) and I am looking for feedback about lighting.

I like the Kessil shimmer and I am thinking about running 2 Kessil a360x at the beginning (already own one).
Later with the introduction of SPS I will add some LED bar such as Reef Brite or Orphek to increase and spread the PAR.

- Is 2 Kessil enough to start with for LPS and some low demand SPS such as Montipora ?
- Should I mount them 8" above water or at 13" with the reflector ?
- Are the 2 LED bars enough or should I consider also a third Kessil ?

Thanks

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider a third kessil and mount them 12”+ off the water. This will allow you to lower the intensity and keep them further away from salt spray and humidity. That extra 6” or more really does help to improve their life and longevity. Two is enough to start, you’ll eventually want a third with supplements when you start getting stony coral branching

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The more sps you add, the more light coverage you'll need. Starting off with two 360x's is good, but I would add a third as you add more sps. Also, look into Quanta Pro meso blue bars, they outperform xho's and Orphek combined. If you want to see Kessil's and LED bars in action over an sps tank, just check out my thread.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Kessel 360 over my 90g. Mounted about 7" above otherwise you get a lot of spill. Adding light bars or T5 hybrid would be more than enough for sps.

OP
OP
Ced_

Ced_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more sps you add, the more light coverage you'll need. Starting off with two 360x's is good, but I would add a third as you add more sps. Also, look into Quanta Pro meso blue bars, they outperform xho's and Orphek combined. If you want to see Kessil's and LED bars in action over an sps tank, just check out my thread.
Not sure about the availability of the quanta pro bar in Europe. But there are plenty of options for LED bars.
the Reef Factory Flare Bar seems good too!

OP
OP
Ced_

Ced_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Kessel 360 over my 90g. Mounted about 7" above otherwise you get a lot of spill. Adding light bars or T5 hybrid would be more than enough for sps.
I need to see it in place but I like the idea to have my lights mounted higher. To avoid light spill you can kessil reflector

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back