Kessil to Radeon?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of adding an LED strip like the ReefBrite, but it's a small tank and I'd prefer to keep the look clean.

Was also thinking of getting the Kessil narrow reflector. That will concentrate the light and up the PAR for the acros, but it might make the shadowing worse.

It won’t look clean if the light you buy has light spill all over. Keep that in mind. First thing I thought of when you said pico and G6.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t look clean if the light you buy has light spill all over. Keep that in mind. First thing I thought of when you said pico and G6.

Yes, good point. Thought about that too. But they make 3D printed "shades" for the Radeons to keep the light spill at a minimum.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you saw in my posts above in the pics and vids the only thing I don't worry about is a clean look at anything outside the tank. Inside the tank I try to make things a little cleaner. What I'm getting at is that really the #1 thing for me for everything from outside and inside the tank is " functionality " meaning optimal performance of all the equipment, since that really is the best thing for all the inhabitants from coral to fish to make it as perfect as possible for true success, corals growing, proper colors etc... and the fish are happy and healthy. An all around clean look is a great thing but as you know it takes some time and effort to find what is best to keep it looking clean and what works best for the tank's inhabitants. You've gotten some good advice from other's post's above. Good luck and when you find exactly how you want things to achieve your goals come back and show some pics of what you ended up with and how it's working out.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you saw in my posts above in the pics and vids the only thing I don't worry about is a clean look at anything outside the tank. Inside the tank I try to make things a little cleaner. What I'm getting at is that really the #1 thing for me for everything from outside and inside the tank is " functionality " meaning optimal performance of all the equipment, since that really is the best thing for all the inhabitants from coral to fish to make it as perfect as possible for true success, corals growing, proper colors etc... and the fish are happy and healthy. An all around clean look is a great thing but as you know it takes some time and effort to find what is best to keep it looking clean and what works best for the tank's inhabitants. You've gotten some good advice from other's post's above. Good luck and when you find exactly how you want things to achieve your goals come back and show some pics of what you ended up with and how it's working out.

Thank you, thank you. Thanks to all of you, really. I'll weigh the options and figure it out.

Happy reefing everyone!

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are AP9X affordable? I don't have any shadowing issues with these hanging 8" above my tank.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to run 1 16hd on that tank with no issues or shadowing, imo.
Xr15 would not be overkill as you can reduce intensity. I dont think you would have shadowing issues either.
I run xr15's and 16hds.
This is my 20g 18" aio nano cube running 2 16hds. Tank is almost 7 months old and almost all acros.
Over 35 at last count.
20220726_120015.jpg

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You should be able to run 1 16hd on that tank with no issues or shadowing, imo.
Xr15 would not be overkill as you can reduce intensity. I dont think you would have shadowing issues either.
I run xr15's and 16hds.
This is my 20g 18" aio nano cube running 2 16hds. Tank is almost 7 months old and almost all acros.
Over 35 at last count.
20220726_120015.jpg
Those look fantastic.

You know what's interesting? I've seen many SPS tanks with 4 AI 32hd fixtures and they look great. I see Radions on some and they don't look so great.

I'm wondering if the old puck style with less leds actually is better than the blanket style they are producing now.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look fantastic.

You know what's interesting? I've seen many SPS tanks with 4 AI 32hd fixtures and they look great. I see Radions on some and they don't look so great.

I'm wondering if the old puck style with less leds actually is better than the blanket style they are producing now.
I run xr15's blues and 16hds on my 80. I could not get the right color I was looking for with just the radions.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So op what ya end up with?

Ended up getting a G6 Blue from the marketplace here. Just need to make a final payment. Not in a rush to get it/mount it, but excited to see how it turns out.

I know a lot of reefers think that an XR15 is overkill for a pico, and they're not wrong. But most people don't keep SPS/sticks in a pico. I think the G6 will provide the pop and intensity that I'm not getting with the Kessil.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So op what ya end up with?
Welp, kept the Kessil even though I had a new G6 in hand, and it finally crapped out on me today. I have had intermittent issues with it shutting off. Was planning to upgrade to a 20 or 25 gallon peninsula at the end of the summer and save the G6 for that build, but I've had to use it sooner rather than later.

Initial thoughts on the G6... I like it, but I don't love it.

CONS:
* The RMS mount is bulky.
* The mount hangs the light at a slight angle. It's not perfectly parallel to the top of the tank.
* The light also has a slight tilt when looking at the front view.
* Noticeable disco balling.
* The moonlight color sucks. It's a weird white/pink hue.

PROS:
* The build quality is legit.
* Spread is good.
* The app is easy to work with... albeit too many levers to play with.
* The blues give the corals a slightly better pop vs. the Kessil.
* Quiet fan, hardly noticeable.

Hopefully the output is enough for a 24" inch long peninsula. Need to buy or rent a PAR meter.

Back