Kessil vs. AI vs. Black Box - which refugium light?

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tunze 3181 algae reactor that I’m very disappointed in. I’ve tried for months to grow chaeto with no luck. Not sure how many chaeto balls have been killed with it using all sorts of lighting times, flow, etc. used Brightwells Chaeto Grow to help supplement and still no luck and I very much have excess nitrates and phosphates so I’m at the point of trying to make a refugium using my ATO reservoir section of my sump with traditional lighting. Which of these would be best for growing chaeto? Normally wouldn’t use a black box but given it’s a fug light and the price differential, thought I’d throw it out there to the group!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the new AI fuge light is the BEST.
But i ended up buying a 20w ACKE grow light from amazon for $25

I only use AI lighting products otherwise.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a great BRS video comparing different fuge lights and how well they produce cheato. The takeaway from the video is that you get what you pay for.

I personally upgraded my fuge light three times before I was satisfied. Wish I would've just bought the expensive light up front, would've saved money.

That being said, I'm currently using the Kessil a360x refugium light. Couldn't be happier. I started with a standard screw in flood light, then got the Kessil h80 refugium light. None of those produced the cheato growth im experiencing now.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a great BRS video comparing different fuge lights and how well they produce cheato. The takeaway from the video is that you get what you pay for.

I personally upgraded my fuge light three times before I was satisfied. Wish I would've just bought the expensive light up front, would've saved money.

That being said, I'm currently using the Kessil a360x refugium light. Couldn't be happier. I started with a standard screw in flood light, then got the Kessil h80 refugium light. None of those produced the cheato growth im experiencing now.
Part of this is my though as well. I was thinking of a H160 more so due to a relatively small refugium foot print. I’m just hoping this works as I’m still puzzled why my reactor that’s supposed to grow chaeto absolutely sucks at it.

Regarding the BRS videos, I have watched them but they don’t use the black box grow lights. They just use a couple different bulbs.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS videos need to be taken with a bag of salt.

I grow cheato like a boss under a $10, 20watt white shoplight . I actually had to diffuse it a bit because it was too bright. Cheato or any algae grows under red or white (which is mostly blue). Doesn't matter.

I get a kick out of people using high end reef lights to grow cheato. Need more science taught in gradeschool I guess.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking of trying this before going AI or Kessil.

COB LED Grow Light 150w Grow Lights for Indoor Plants Kolem Full Spectrum Plant Lights, Waterproof Grow Panel Light, Veg, Seedling for Plants Tent, Greenhouse, Garden, Hydroponic

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

COB LED Grow Light 150w Grow Lights for Indoor Plants Kolem Full Spectrum Plant Lights, Waterproof Grow Panel Light, Veg, Seedling for Plants Tent, Greenhouse, Garden, Hydroponic

Imo, thats too much wattage for a fuge.

Its also why i didnt buy that one cause i was looking at it too.
I use the ACKE panels which i think is only 12w for phyto and im very happy with the spectrum and intensity.

20200925_195432.jpg

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use the ACKE panels which i think is only 12w for phyto and im very happy with the spectrum and intensity.

20200925_195432.jpg
I just ordered the 100w version (which is just marketing, it’s actually only 50w consumption). With Amazon’s return policy for the holiday period, guess it won’t hurt to experiment and will get an AI likely if this doesn’t work. Any recommendations for a something to put around it to contain light spillage?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the 100w version (which is just marketing, it’s actually only 50w consumption). With Amazon’s return policy for the holiday period, guess it won’t hurt to experiment and will get an AI likely if this doesn’t work. Any recommendations for a something to put around it to contain light spillage?
I just built a small box out of wood for my panels as a side diffuser. but you could probably find a non clear plastic container to fit around the fixture body.
Like a coolwhip container lol.

The DIY 3d printer forum has some slick ones for the bigger brands

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS videos need to be taken with a bag of salt.

I grow cheato like a boss under a $10, 20watt white shoplight . I actually had to diffuse it a bit because it was too bright. Cheato or any algae grows under red or white (which is mostly blue). Doesn't matter.

I get a kick out of people using high end reef lights to grow cheato. Need more science taught in gradeschool I guess.

Hold up with that tude dude. Science is what? Testing and results right? My high end refugium led light grows chaeto better than a 10$ white bulb. The results aren't even close. It's like a Lambo racing a hoverboard. I can dial in the spectrum for growing, which means increased par in the red and greens. No wasted energy on blues or violets.

So my "science" experiment using 3 different fuge lights come up to the conclusion that yes, a $300 grow light out performs a 10$ white bulb any day of the week.

More food for thought... have you ever seen a commercial grow house use 10$ white bulbs? Or do they use super high end LEDs? They used to use MH bulbs but the cooling and energy costs were too high.

Can you grow chaeto with a cheap white bulb? Absolutely. Will it grow chaeto faster than a specialty light? Absolutely not.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up with that tude dude. Science is what? Testing and results right? My high end refugium led light grows chaeto better than a 10$ white bulb. The results aren't even close. It's like a Lambo racing a hoverboard. I can dial in the spectrum for growing, which means increased par in the red and greens. No wasted energy on blues or violets.

So my "science" experiment using 3 different fuge lights come up to the conclusion that yes, a $300 grow light out performs a 10$ white bulb any day of the week.

More food for thought... have you ever seen a commercial grow house use 10$ white bulbs? Or do they use super high end LEDs? They used to use MH bulbs but the cooling and energy costs were too high.

Can you grow chaeto with a cheap white bulb? Absolutely. Will it grow chaeto faster than a specialty light? Absolutely not.
Don’t know what the OP was getting at to the post you are replying but the BRS study doesn’t include the “black box” grow lights. They did one finally on normal reef lights but never refugium lights. I would love to see them do that though.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well stated :)

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know what the OP was getting at to the post you are replying but the BRS study doesn’t include the “black box” grow lights. They did one finally on normal reef lights but never refugium lights. I would love to see them do that though.
They have some comparisons on refugium lights from BRS. Kinda old though.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found a good strip light for chaeto? I have a HOB so need a light ideally 14-16" or 20" max. by no wider than 4".
Thanks.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200925_195432.jpg
@Saltyreef I think I see the one you have on Amazon but I see two sellers that advertise different spectrums: 460/660 for one; another 380-800. Not sure if it matters. This seems to be a perfect size. Are you getting good growth with it? Is this the one you have?:

Probably won't hurt to try it for $15!!

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recollection of the video is that the higher wattage light (H380?) grew chaeto the best, so I would think that the linked light would work well. I use a (now not sold on Amazon) TaoTronics 36w LED grow bulb, which works very well (and is lower in terms of light output than the linked one).

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it for phyto and get amazing growth.
It sprouts seeds very nicely too.
The one i bought was ACKE brand but likely the same manufacturer.
Its the 460/660 red blue white combo.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back