Kessil WiFi Dongle Connection

Deviant Nation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to give a shout out to Kessil for their great customer service and hopefully help anyone else that may experience the same thing.

I purchased an A360X and WiFi Dongle that I just received yesterday. I was very excited. I got it all hooked up, watched multiple YouTube videos, and read through their instructions. I followed everything I had just watched and read but I could not get it to work. When I would try to connect to the dongle the app would tell me it failed but then the dongle light would turn blue like it was supposed to. When this happened if I went into my phone settings under WiFi it showed that i was connected to the dongle but the app did not recognize the dongle. After attempting to reset and try again multiple times I gave up and called Kessil.

Come to find out something in the new IOS software versions 13 and up has made the initial dongle setup get confused sometimes. Kessil helped walk me through these steps to fix the problem and it has worked flawlessly since. So if you experience the same thing try these steps it should get you up and going.

- Go into the WiFi settings on your mobile device and forget the network for the Kessil Dongle that you are connected to
- Delete the Kessil App from the your mobile device
- Turn mobile device off
- Hold the reset button on the dongle down for 10 seconds until the red light flashes rapidly
- Unplug the dongle from the A360X
- Plug the dongle back into the A360X
- Power up the mobile Device
- Download the App again
- Follow the initial setup instructions and it should be good to go

Thank you Kessil for answering the phone without me even having to wait on hold at all and guiding me through my very first reef aquarium light experience!!!

Earthquake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to give a shout out to Kessil for their great customer service and hopefully help anyone else that may experience the same thing.

I purchased an A360X and WiFi Dongle that I just received yesterday. I was very excited. I got it all hooked up, watched multiple YouTube videos, and read through their instructions. I followed everything I had just watched and read but I could not get it to work. When I would try to connect to the dongle the app would tell me it failed but then the dongle light would turn blue like it was supposed to. When this happened if I went into my phone settings under WiFi it showed that i was connected to the dongle but the app did not recognize the dongle. After attempting to reset and try again multiple times I gave up and called Kessil.

Come to find out something in the new IOS software versions 13 and up has made the initial dongle setup get confused sometimes. Kessil helped walk me through these steps to fix the problem and it has worked flawlessly since. So if you experience the same thing try these steps it should get you up and going.

- Go into the WiFi settings on your mobile device and forget the network for the Kessil Dongle that you are connected to
- Delete the Kessil App from the your mobile device
- Turn mobile device off
- Hold the reset button on the dongle down for 10 seconds until the red light flashes rapidly
- Unplug the dongle from the A360X
- Plug the dongle back into the A360X
- Power up the mobile Device
- Download the App again
- Follow the initial setup instructions and it should be good to go

Thank you Kessil for answering the phone without me even having to wait on hold at all and guiding me through my very first reef aquarium light experience!!!
ill be giving this a try because i got the dongle and had the same problem and put it back in the box and was about to take it back to the store. i just signed up to this forum today for coral purposes and you also saved my dongle! ill let you know how it goes tomorrow

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill be giving this a try because i got the dongle and had the same problem and put it back in the box and was about to take it back to the store. i just signed up to this forum today for coral purposes and you also saved my dongle! ill let you know how it goes tomorrow
Hello welcome to R2R. A lot going here than live sales. There great and all. But there's tons of nice folks with answers. Some real comedians too. So read up lots to learn here.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're happy to help! If you have an iPhone and cannot get past scanning the QR code then the process above should fix it. We are working on rolling out an update to make sure this doesn't happen for new IOS though.

Just a few additional tips for everyone else if you are having WiFi dongle problems and the above doesn't fix it:

-Make sure you are using a 2.4 Ghz Network (5 Ghz is not supported)
-When asked to scan the QR code scan the stickers INSIDE the box not the outside of the box
-Logging into Social media will save your schedules!
-If you are having trouble in the app don't hesitate to use the 'quick reload' button in the '+' menu
-DOUBLE CHECK your password is correct when logging into your wifi when connecting to the router. The app has no way of detecting the wrong password and will just say it can't connect. If you do enter the wrong password just reset the app with the instructions given by the OP and start over
-If you cant connect try choosing a different location in the same time zone
- The following video can be very helpful! Click Here
-If you are connecting directly you must be on the Dongles WiFi "L4xxxxx..." and the password is the network name backwards (cap sensitive). Although we recommend connecting through the router- if you are doing it this way make sure you are on YOUR network when attempting to connect
-Is the light staying red even though you are connected? Look at this forum

Don't hesitate to reach out to Kessil if you are still having trouble!

NanL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along this line, I set up my dongle using my iPad. I installed The app on my iPhone as well. Do I need to go through the entire config again as it appears to be prompting me to do? Other WiFi lights allow me to connect once and use on multiple devices.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along this line, I set up my dongle using my iPad. I installed The app on my iPhone as well. Do I need to go through the entire config again as it appears to be prompting me to do? Other WiFi lights allow me to connect once and use on multiple devices.
You need to do the connection process again on your iPhone as well but can control the WiFI Dongle from multiple devices.

mjand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to connect the Kessil A360X together for electricity not just light control so that I can get rid of the five powers attached to each kessil light to give it electricity?

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to connect the Kessil A360X together for electricity not just light control so that I can get rid of the five powers attached to each kessil light to give it electricity?
No, each light must have its own power supply.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you Kessil Support. Should the Wifi dongle show up in my devices listed on my router. Mine is working just fine. Trying to streamline my devices listed in my router settings by applying proper name to each device. Can't find the Kessil Wifi Dongle.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you Kessil Support. Should the Wifi dongle show up in my devices listed on my router. Mine is working just fine. Trying to streamline my devices listed in my router settings by applying proper name to each device. Can't find the Kessil Wifi Dongle.

It should be listed in your router under 'L4xxxxxxx'!

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be listed in your router under 'L4xxxxxxx'!
No devices listed that start with L4xxxxx. I have some listed as "new-device". Too bad we can't see the ip address via the Kessil app. That would solve this.
Rey

mjand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought and set up 4 kessil lights and am having problem with the Dongle. I used the above recommendation and it worked except it showed only two lamps. Then after a while Dongle got disconnected and I just unhooked the Dongle.
Is there any new app that would help?
The Dongle seems to be getting disconnected.
Thanks

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought and set up 4 kessil lights and am having problem with the Dongle. I used the above recommendation and it worked except it showed only two lamps. Then after a while Dongle got disconnected and I just unhooked the Dongle.
Is there any new app that would help?
The Dongle seems to be getting disconnected.
Thanks
IF the dongle doesn't initially recognize all lights a quick fix is usually hitting 'Quick Reload' which can be found in the '+' button in the bottom right hand corner of the app

When the dongle is becoming disconnected is the light on the dongle turning red? Or are you no longer able to access the app with your phone?

sharklover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of my issues. I have an open RMA for this right now but it doesn't feel like the dongle is the issue. Kessil are your developers testing on the iphone 13.x IOS as previously mentioned above? I'm running the latest revision of IOS 13.x and the problem continues. Router connect/Direct Connect. Even if it does work, less than 24 hours later if I go to play with the settings it loses connectivity to the dongle, asks for a quick reboot and then turns on the default "50/50". I'd be lying if I said this wasn't a partial frustration post however..... I did want to share my personal experience (Video below) since there isn't much out there. My googling has come up empty on a lot of platforms, reddit/youtube/google.

Last edited:

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of my issues. I have an open RMA for this right now but it doesn't feel like the dongle is the issue. Kessil are your developers testing on the iphone 13.x IOS as previously mentioned above? I'm running the latest revision of IOS 13.x and the problem continues. Router connect/Direct Connect. Even if it does work, less than 24 hours later if I go to play with the settings it loses connectivity to the dongle, asks for a quick reboot and then turns on the default "50/50". I'd be lying if I said this wasn't a partial frustration post however..... I did want to share my personal experience (Video below) since there isn't much out there. My googling has come up empty on a lot of platforms, reddit/youtube/google.

Yes, our app is currently optimized for the latest IOS! I'm actually running the WiFi Dongle off of my iPhone 11 IOS 13.3 with no issues. This seems like a hardware issue with your individual dongle. If our customer service team is unable to troubleshoot the issue they will happily replace it. Sorry for your Troubles we will do all we can to remedy this.

sharklover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, our app is currently optimized for the latest IOS! I'm actually running the WiFi Dongle off of my iPhone 11 IOS 13.3 with no issues. This seems like a hardware issue with your individual dongle. If our customer service team is unable to troubleshoot the issue they will happily replace it. Sorry for your Troubles we will do all we can to remedy this.

They're processing the RMA. Lorna and Noah have been great to work with. I look forward to the replacement part and putting this experience behind me. Thanks for the quick reply.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back