Key things to keep in mind when mounting sps frags to your aquascape?

Are you careful about where you mount sps frags?

• Yes

Votes: 412 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 112 21.4%

• Total voters

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me this is a huge deal for acros as well as in montis (encrusting and plating). To start with, all of them require light acclimation, hence can not be directly mounted where they are best suited for long run (high flow high light). For their permanent location, most requires high flow , high light hence prime estate and needs to mounted thouthtfully. Once take off, they grow faster than GSP and when they do that , they'll shade others. For me in particularly its a big deal, since I have a nano tank and pendant style light (kessil A360). Pendant style light sources have higher shading effect. How I mount is also important. I remove frag pluh and mount them sideways. When keeping two sps close to each other , I have to be careful about their growth rate, slow one will (like red dragon) be shadowed by the faster one etc. .. overall its a lot of planning . Theres this relative aggressiveness also that plays an important role. For example purple stylo will almost always loose battle agains most other acros. etc etc.. I am still learning. @revhtree I think like the tang & tank size guide we have here in r2r, we should consolidate the learning from this thread into a single coherent format in the very first post in this thread :0), it will be tremendously useful

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually sand bed for a couple of days. Then glue on a mid level rock for a bit and monitor. Move if necessary.
Also, especially with LED, I try to angle so they are getting as even of lighting as possible. If one side is heavily shadowed, it can really affect them.
Once plug is fully encrusted I cut plug stem off and glue to it's own rock. I like each coral to have it's own rock to encrust and also be moved around, pulled out for fragging, etc.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stags highest, then Bhushy Acros, then Tabling Acros and Plating Montis towards the bottom.

- Tabling acros and montis will not only shade out good real estate below, but grow into anything its its path.
- Stags are best higher as they tend to grow toward the light and still allow some light to come through.
- Bushy acros do well almost anywhere but I try to mount them in slightly different orientation or height so it has its own airspace.
- Encrusting Montis belong on their own island or barebottom for easy removal and preventing them competing for rock real estate.
- Color is very important for effect so make sure to step back and make sure all the reds and greens are spread evening as possible. Your favorite zoas can be place between sps where there is no more airspace available. Zoas also look good on their own rock island and barebottom.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back