KH Director discrepancy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My KH Director is showing a reading of 8.0 DKH. My Hanna checker shows 8.8 DKH and Salifert at 8.6. That's a pretty wide range. I have recently calibrated the probe in the KH Director so that shouldn't be the reason.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the Neptune Apex guys are experiencing the same thing with their Hanna Alk checkers, getting anywhere between 0.7 to 1 dkh higher results than what their Tridents are reading for Alk. As far as the Salifert results go, I haven’t seen any comparisons as yet. The question is, which one are we to trust as being accurate?

OP
OP
mwilk19

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the Neptune Apex guys are experiencing the same thing with their Hanna Alk checkers, getting anywhere between 0.7 to 1 dkh higher results than what their Tridents are reading for Alk. As far as the Salifert results go, I haven’t seen any comparisons as yet. The question is, which one are we to trust as being accurate?
That's the problem. I know we're looking for trends as much as anything but a 10% difference in readings is pretty significant.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the problem. I know we're looking for trends as much as anything but a 10% difference in readings is pretty significant.

Indeed that is quite a discrepancy. However, if your corals are doing fine and are healthy, I would be hesitant to make any changes to your Alk level.

OP
OP
mwilk19

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed that is quite a discrepancy. However, if your corals are doing fine and are healthy, I would be hesitant to make any changes to your Alk level.
I just went through an alkalinity spike that killed a couple of my colonies and damaged a few more. I'm just trying to determine where my alkalinity really is and try to use the KH director to stabilize it.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through an alkalinity spike that killed a couple of my colonies and damaged a few more. I'm just trying to determine where my alkalinity really is and try to use the KH director to stabilize it.

Then you will be well served by your KH Director. There is no question that it’s automatic testing will be more precise than manual testing. Thus, it will be able to accurately detect swings regardless of whether the true Alk reading is at 8.0 or 8.8.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where was your PH level when your alk spiked?

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL makes a 7.5 KH standard solution. I picked that up to make sure my testing was accurate. I have the same issue as you and my Director is not even close to accurate. I'm working with GHL through their online support system but so far I am very unimpressed. My Hannah, Salifert, Red Sea, and Tropic Marin KH test kits all come within reason of the 7.5 standard (+/- 2 to 3) But the Director reads 6.4.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use also the 7.5 KH standard solution and I get reading with 0.2dkh max difference with the solution and 0.3dkh difference with the Hanna.
Using a precision scale for all calibrations and also using it when testing with the Hanna checker.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious because I read recently high 8.3+ PH can cause the ALK spikes so I was curious if that happened to you.

High pH will cause an alk DROP, not spike. Absorption is increased with higher pH, its what many people do to increase coral growth.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the GHL reference solution and find my KH director and Hanna checker to be within 0.2dkh of it. Accurate calibration of dosing heads 1 and 2 is critical to get an accurate measurement. Even a tiny amount of air in the reagent line will also cause issues.

Mine KH director wasn't very accurate for the first few samples but it kept getting better over the course of a week and now I trust it completely.

As an aside, the Hanna alk reagent has a very finite shelf life. If it's been open for more than 2 months I wouldn't trust its accuracy completely.

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL makes a 7.5 KH standard solution. I picked that up to make sure my testing was accurate. I have the same issue as you and my Director is not even close to accurate. I'm working with GHL through their online support system but so far I am very unimpressed. My Hannah, Salifert, Red Sea, and Tropic Marin KH test kits all come within reason of the 7.5 standard (+/- 2 to 3) But the Director reads 6.4.
I’m having the same issue with my KH Director.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrate the reagent head at least again, and include the tenths of a ML in that. It does require a fine graduated cylinder, or a scale with low enough weight resolution. There is quite a big difference from rounding that figure up or down, or eyeballing it if there are no graduations between 4 and 5 ml. Something I found out and corrected, and now the kHD reads within .2 of the 7.5 reference solution with a 80ml sample being used.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrate the reagent head at least again, and include the tenths of a ML in that. It does require a fine graduated cylinder, or a scale with low enough weight resolution. There is quite a big difference from rounding that figure up or down, or eyeballing it if there are no graduations between 4 and 5 ml. Something I found out and corrected, and now the kHD reads within .2 of the 7.5 reference solution with a 80ml sample being used.
What are you using to measure for calibration?

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside, the Hanna alk reagent has a very finite shelf life. If it's been open for more than 2 months I wouldn't trust its accuracy completely.

Has anyone else noticed this? I’ve noticed slight differences between bottles of the reagent. As a result I’ve been mixing 6 bottles at a time (for me a six month supply,) and keeping it in black bottle. This has given me more stable results.

Back