KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So mine is set at +5 and my reading on the KH is 8.7 I would like 8.4 you mean I’m not 8.7 I’m 8.2 not 8.7

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precision in, precision out.
You're work with a precision test, and your handheld titration tests that change from color x to color y are subject to a lot of variation.
Where does one read the water line when filling to 10mL; top of the bubble, bottom of the curve?
Do you shake and mix properly, too short, too long? etc...
Exactly correct. I only adjusted mine since I'm used to using salifert and I measure it the same way every time, this way it just provides an ability to "double check" the KHD if I ever get anything funky.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precision in, precision out.
You're work with a precision test, and your handheld titration tests that change from color x to color y are subject to a lot of variation.
Where does one read the water line when filling to 10mL; top of the bubble, bottom of the curve?
Do you shake and mix properly, too short, too long? etc...
I agree completely with this, and I think the KHD is more likely to be correct, however I need to know the Alk of my water change mix as well, which is why I have aligned my KHD to my hanna readings, so I can stay consistant.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree completely with this, and I think the KHD is more likely to be correct, however I need to know the Alk of my water change mix as well, which is why I have aligned my KHD to my hanna readings, so I can stay consistant.

We need a split hose intake into the kh director and the programming for 2 tanks (samples)! I've thought about trying to do this. Use a splitter and check valves to take samples from 2 different tanks. More so to just occasionally check my other tank and then leave the programming for my main display on the rest of the time. Not sure if it would work though.

Great point! That is also why I like the Lamotte test, because it lines up with kh director and I can test my make up water and other tanks to match.

Last edited:

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need a split hose intake into the kh director and the programming for 2 tanks (samples)! I've thought about trying to do this. Use a splitter and check valves to take samples from 2 different tanks. More so to just occasionally check my other tank and then leave the programming for my main display on the rest of the time. Not sure if it would work though.

Great point! That is also why I like the Lamotte test, because it lines up with kh director and I can test my make up water and other tanks to match.

Problem is the length of tube would be different between two tanks. You won't get the right samples in the kh.

One tank could be X length from tank another is y length.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is the length of tube would be different between two tanks. You won't get the right samples in the kh.

One tank could be X length from tank another is y length.

I would make them the same length, but there may be other potential issues for sure.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My settings are nominal value of 8.3 and adaptive control. I dose 24 x per day of both alk and calc at 6ml per dose. I let the kh director move it up or down for me as needed, but yes if it is continually high I would move the actual dosing pump value down. So on my setup I may move it down to 5ml per dose and then see how it does.

It will give a chart of all the readings and store them for you. I think they are working on some more detailed storage of measurements and adjustments for the future, but the graph works fine. I've had it running a couple months and it's worked perfectly.

Here's what my settings look like...

Screenshot_20180605-215015.png
Screenshot_20180605-215026.png

I'm curious why you have two pumps configured, do you dose multiple things based on the readings?

Also, is there a way to stop the notification on the water sample pump head? GHL Connect has a notification about the container, do you guys just set your number high so it doesn't trigger?

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello KHD experts!

So I had my new KHD working for a few weeks. I ordered replacement reagent but as luck would have it, the order took a few weeks to arrive so I ran out. Now that I have new reagent I figured all would be back to normal but it hasn't worked out that way. I keep getting this Error about how Tritation takes too long. I've recalibrated the three dosers, verified the sample tube volume, vented the internal reagent tube, flushed the measurement cell, and emptied the measurement cell completely. Done all of those things several times in fact.

I am also noticing that the sample water coming in on dose pump 5 doesn't empty itself out when it runs in reverse at the end of a measurement. It used to do this as I recall. The water has been pushed out past the doser by just a few inches, which also seems odd.

For this next test I have adjusted the sample tube volume from 7ml to 12ml to see if it pushes more water out on the next test. The calculator says I don't need to do this but I'm grasping for straws at this point.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Chris

2018-06-20_21-07-38.jpg

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dogtown - I can help a little on the Tritation takes too long, as I was having the same error message @Vinny@GHLUSA and @Matthias Gross helped me fix the issue.

You need the latest version(Version 1..1.1.6) of GCC and you do not need to upgrade the firmware to use it.

If you connect to your P4 with the latest version of GCC you will see on the KH Screen something new:
issue_KH.png

What you need to do is first re calibrate your PH probe, you will see the ADC1 and ADC2 will adjust this is more just to make sure your PH program is calibrating and that when you see the PH read 4 and 7 in the display when your doing your calibration.

Your next going to do a test, you should see your PH go up in Actual Value, and when your Reagent pump beings to dose the internal chamber the PH will go down. You need to pay attention to this, if it does not go down means that not enough reagent is making into the chamber :).

Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dogtown - I can help a little on the Tritation takes too long, as I was having the same issue @Vinny@GHLUSA and @Matthias Gross helped me fix the issue.

You need the latest version(Version 1..1.1.6) of GCC and you do not need to upgrade the firmware to use it.

If you connect to your P4 with the latest version of GCC you will see on the KH Screen something new:
issue_KH.png

What you need to do is first re calibrate your PH probe, you will see the ADC1 and ADC2 will adjust this is more just to make sure your PH program is calibrating and that when you see the PH read 4 and 7 in the display when your doing your calibration.

Your next going to do a test, you should see your PH go up in Actual Value, and when your Reagent pump beings to dose the internal chamber the PH will go down. You need to pay attention to this, if it does not go down means that the reagent is not making into the chamber :).

Always the man with the plan!

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you guys are in a helpful mood (jk, I know you always are!) Any advice why my adaptive mode is slowly letting my dkh creep down?
Screenshot_20180620-222019_GHL Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20180620-222027_GHL Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20180620-222059_GHL Connect.jpg

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Josh Kraft - interesting. How many times a day are you testing?

@WWIII - have you seen anything like this?

I been running adaptive without any issues and staying pretty much steady, testing 6 times a day.

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 2ml x 24x’s per day is to little. I would go 4ml x 12’s per day. What rate is your pump set to that doses alk.?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Josh Kraft - interesting. How many times a day are you testing?

@WWIII - have you seen anything like this?

I been running adaptive without any issues and staying pretty much steady, testing 6 times a day.

@Ditto
@Josh Kraft and I have chatted through pm. He's using a 2 part alkalinity and calcium supplement I am unfamiliar with trying to get his tank dialed in. I would suspect that is the reason for the up and down readings.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WWIII - thanks for the info :)

@Josh Kraft - Do you know what your consumption daily calcium and akalinity are?

If you are going down it is a sign that the dosing is not enough. Was your akalinity and calcium stable at the 2ml x 24 a day or did you see drops when you tested?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back