KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

eyesmuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks everyone.
I will re-calibrate the pump and test the Salifert again later.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any idea to not have my P4’s turn yellow blinking due to the water sample and flush of the cell of the KH not being full on the doser pump?

I was wondering why it was always blinking yellow and with the software updated on both P4 I was able to figure out why.

B8C48334-63EB-4DF4-9116-29E1CF7F0377.png

1 and 3 are used by the KH doser, even thou alarm in them is off. Dosing 9 I was setting up for AWC.

1D4F65F9-41E6-43F8-A9A8-7E5625B974B8.png

eyesmuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @Lasse said, it's the same for the Salifert KH test. You need to take the KH from the first colour change. I've done it the wrong way for 10 years, so my readings were also about 0,5 higher with Salifert than the KH director when we started using it :)
So just check the readings from the first colour change, doesn't need to switch all the way over to purple/red like calcium test etc.

/ David

According to the manual from Salifert, it said observed the colour change from blue to pink. However, the first colour change I observed is purple! If I continue to drop the reagent, then will change to pink but the result will far different to KH director.

If I am using the purple colour for result, the KH measurment is quite similar to the KH director.

I guess I am testing the KH using Salifert wrongly all these years?

Any recommendation?

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the manual from Salifert, it said observed the colour change from blue to pink. However, the first colour change I observed is purple! If I continue to drop the reagent, then will change to pink but the result will far different to KH director.

If I am using the purple colour for result, the KH measurment is quite similar to the KH director.

Any recommendation?

I'd recommend the hanna alk tester, but I've never used the salifert test kit before.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dawsokj1988 - I tend to agree the Hanna tester has been within only .1 of the KH. My RedSea also been good, but like @Lasse has said you really need to pay attention to when the color will change.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any recommendation?

I was having trouble what to believe (hanna, salifert, red sea, kh director) I then purchased the Lamotte alk test kit from BRS. It's now my favorite, even over hanna. It matches very closely to the kh director. The color change is easy to read and it changes again when you go too far. It uses a little pill for the color instead of drops and then tritration. This gives very consistent method of testing.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any recommendation?

In this case with the Salifert test I've only listened to @Lasse and a couple other people that have good knowledge of KH testing, so I don't know the chemistry behind it. Sorry :)

I think most of the KH tests is pretty good. Question is which one is the closest to the real number. If it's Salifert or the KH director or Red Sea I don't know.

/ David

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having trouble what to believe (hanna, salifert, red sea, kh director) I then purchased the Lamotte alk test kit from BRS. It's now my favorite, even over hanna. It matches very closely to the kh director. The color change is easy to read and it changes again when you go too far. It uses a little pill for the color instead of drops and then tritration. This gives very consistent method of testing.
LaMotte are great kits, I used to use them exclusively back in the day. Very accurate, and easy to read.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert and it's always been very accurate. Purple is not the right color, nor is the red/pink/purple. To me you keep going until you see pure pink. When I did this, it always lined up with my hannah checker, my KH Guardian, and now my KHD is very close. (had to do a slight -2% adjustment)

eyesmuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me get a hanna checker to cross check KH with KHD.

After all these re-calibrated the pump to decimal places, my KHD report the KH at 7.3-7.4 only but my Salifert test is 8.0 to 8.2.

Will update you guys once I get hanna check later. Thank you.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me get a hanna checker to cross check KH with KHD.

After all these re-calibrated the pump to decimal places, my KHD report the KH at 7.3-7.4 only but my Salifert test is 8.0 to 8.2.

Will update you guys once I get hanna check later. Thank you.
What are your calibration values now?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just I said before. I used a cup to hold the reagent during calibration and then used a syringe to measure the output.
I bought these to calibrate my reagent tube, having said that I still can’t get my readings to match my Hanna test, that I also have to use to measure my salt water change KH levels, so I adjust my KHD by +5% to match the levels, therefore at least I can keep consistenc.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BWBN...t=&hvlocphy=1007184&hvtargid=pla-439455273529

eyesmuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I got a Hanna KH checker today.
The result from Hanna is dKH 7.9 with comparing the Salifert is 8.3, however, KDH reading is 7.6.
So, I can sure my dKH is lower than what I expected now.

I think I solve the problem of KHD and make a slightly adjustment at +4% on every measurement.

Thanks all for the input.

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I solve the problem of KHD and make a slightly adjustment at +4% on every measurement.

Where is the +4 adjustment and what does it exactly do?

I seen Morty above is I think set at +5 that’s what mine is set at

And Boom corals at -2 adjustment

So guess I’m trying to wrap my head around this

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the +4 adjustment and what does it exactly do?

I seen Morty above is I think set at +5 that’s what mine is set at

And Boom corals at -2 adjustment

So guess I’m trying to wrap my head around this

It's because they want it to display what they are used to seeing. I used a hanna all monitor for years, when I got the kh director my hanna reading was almost 1 dkh higher. Instead of adjust it I tried salifert, red sea, and finally lamotte. All test kits gave different readings.

Instead of adjusting the kh director to display what I was used to seeing with the hanna, I just left it alone. I found the Lamotte test kit lines up very well with my kh director so I use that occasionally to double check. It's all about perception of value and what we are used to. I would imagine, if guys left the kh director at 0% adjustment, they would get used to their "new" alk value. If we had the kh director before all these other test kits, we may very well be trying to adjust their values instead of the other way around. Having said that it's all up to the individual and how they wish to go about it.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precision in, precision out.
You're work with a precision test, and your handheld titration tests that change from color x to color y are subject to a lot of variation.
Where does one read the water line when filling to 10mL; top of the bubble, bottom of the curve?
Do you shake and mix properly, too short, too long? etc...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back