KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Standalone Maxi can control a Slave Doser 2.1 AND KH Director...so that's a yes from me. :)

Derek Clifford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone share a photo of their setup? I need to set up the kh director and two 2.1 dosers. They will be delivered before the end of the week.
I am interested to see how others have done it. Also what is being used for collecting the waste in?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope to see the CA director at MACNA. Will do a video on it for sure for everyone who can not make it.:)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone share a photo of their setup? I need to set up the kh director and two 2.1 dosers. They will be delivered before the end of the week.
I am interested to see how others have done it. Also what is being used for collecting the waste in?
I've been thinking about moving it down inside the cabinet. But then I have to find a place for all the junk in there :oops:
Kinda dark, that's it on the right hand side
DSC_6314.jpg

Using these as waste and Alk reservoir. Waste fills up about every 20days. I have a reminder set to empty it every 2 weeks just to be safe. They sit on the floor behind the cabinet.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/space-saver-jug-thin-4-liter-1-05-gallon.html

Derek Clifford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Replying to my own question. haha.
Here is my set up. Only running a couple of days. No problems so far. Only monitoring kh at the moment.
20180819_210138.jpg

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word on Charts or access to old measurement data in any format on Doser 2.1 with KHD? A txt file?

We haven't forgotten about this task. :)

It's still a work in progress.
The hardware on the D2.1 is very different from the P4. There are changes that need to be made in the firmware code to make it equally capable as what is provided for the P4.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running into an issue with the KHD. Lately, I've not been able to get an accurate reading. Every reading is coming in around .5-1 DKH low. They're also not consistent. I'll run it once and get 6.9, then 6.7, followed by 7.3. I'll list the procedures I've followed to try and correct it. (Note, I've been able to get successful readings in the past for long periods of time, this is a new development)

1) Recalibrated everything using a weight scale.
2) There are no bubbles in the reagent line. This was solved a while back by changing the tubing.
3) Checked to see if the motor is running to mix the solutions. It's running. I also read a post about dirty water and my tube has always pulled from a clean water source.
4) shortened the line for the water sample by pulling a fresh sample of salt water out and placing it directly below the KHD for testing purposes. The water sample line was around 10 inches for these tests.
5) For all of these tests, I'm using a 100 ml sample.
6) recalibrated the PH probe and immediately ran a test. After, I checked the PH probes 'current measurements' in PH solution to verify it's holding it's calibration.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I could try?

Also, I've tried submitting a ticket via ghl official website and I can't figure out how to work the ticketing system. I keep getting prompted with a 'sign in above' message, though when I click the 'sign in' button, it takes me back to the same page with the same error message.

Screenshot (138).png

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've probably already made sure the sample line isn't close to a dosing line output. I'm not sure what would cause the readings to vary like this back to back. Do you ever see any bubbles? What sample volume are you using?

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've probably already made sure the sample line isn't close to a dosing line output. I'm not sure what would cause the readings to vary like this back to back. Do you ever see any bubbles? What sample volume are you using?

No bubbles anywhere. Sample volume is 100 ml.

Once this started happening I thought it might have something to do with the sample line. Maybe it was too long or had too many bubbles in it. So what I did was make a testing line that's only 10 inches long and I'm pulling water out in a container and testing from that. It sits directly below the KHD so there are 0 bubbles.

When running a test, did you watch the ph readings to see if they fall correctly? There at the bottom of the KHD page
What should it be falling to?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bubbles anywhere. Sample volume is 100 ml.

Once this started happening I thought it might have something to do with the sample line. Maybe it was too long or had too many bubbles in it. So what I did was make a testing line that's only 10 inches long and I'm pulling water out in a container and testing from that. It sits directly below the KHD so there are 0 bubbles.

What should it be falling to?
If I remember correctly mine falls to 4ish, but I guess it depends on your tank ph as well mines 8.3. I don’t think the actually values matter just that when the sample water is added it should match your tank ph and then you can watch it fall as reagent is added.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly mine falls to 4ish, but I guess it depends on your tank ph as well mines 8.3. I don’t think the actually values matter just that when the sample water is added it should match your tank ph and then you can watch it fall as reagent is added.
Just checked. PH in tank is 8.36, the KHD PH probe went up to 8.03 and then started dropping when reagent was added.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We haven't forgotten about this task. :)

It's still a work in progress.
The hardware on the D2.1 is very different from the P4. There are changes that need to be made in the firmware code to make it equally capable as what is provided for the P4.
Hey Guys! I just fired up a 2.1 and plan on a director down the road. I have a couple of questions, I see the complementary temp probe/ does that allow me to control a heater via a power bar? also the Float/sw inputs and the stirrer outputs can I use them for other purposes, say a relay or a push button

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running into an issue with the KHD. Lately, I've not been able to get an accurate reading. Every reading is coming in around .5-1 DKH low. They're also not consistent. I'll run it once and get 6.9, then 6.7, followed by 7.3. I'll list the procedures I've followed to try and correct it. (Note, I've been able to get successful readings in the past for long periods of time, this is a new development)

1) Recalibrated everything using a weight scale.
2) There are no bubbles in the reagent line. This was solved a while back by changing the tubing.
3) Checked to see if the motor is running to mix the solutions. It's running. I also read a post about dirty water and my tube has always pulled from a clean water source.
4) shortened the line for the water sample by pulling a fresh sample of salt water out and placing it directly below the KHD for testing purposes. The water sample line was around 10 inches for these tests.
5) For all of these tests, I'm using a 100 ml sample.
6) recalibrated the PH probe and immediately ran a test. After, I checked the PH probes 'current measurements' in PH solution to verify it's holding it's calibration.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I could try?

Also, I've tried submitting a ticket via ghl official website and I can't figure out how to work the ticketing system. I keep getting prompted with a 'sign in above' message, though when I click the 'sign in' button, it takes me back to the same page with the same error message.

Screenshot (138).png
Just a thought, have you tried doing a flush and then completely empty the chamber, when I’ve done this it takes 3-4 measurements to settle back down to reading accurately.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, have you tried doing a flush and then completely empty the chamber, when I’ve done this it takes 3-4 measurements to settle back down to reading accurately.
I've had to do that several times to re-calibrate the PH probe. I just got in some new calibration fluid and tried using that. No luck. It just seems off now. Can't really explain it.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to do that several times to re-calibrate the PH probe. I just got in some new calibration fluid and tried using that. No luck. It just seems off now. Can't really explain it.

I wish ghl would come out with a standard for the kh director, but they probably won't. Your scenario is strange for sure, hopefully they can get it figured out for you this week.

I take it all of your doser heads are clean and working correctly if they calibrated well? Only other thing I would think it could possibly be is the ph probe itself, based on what you've already told us. I don't think it has to do with the sample line length, as mine was nearly 8 feet long for almost 6 months. I now run it at 3 feet long with no issues.

I assume you have the reagent line shorter than 19"? Although mine is 21" and doesn't cause any problems. What type of tubing are you using? Have they sent you the updated tubing?

Will be interested to see what ghl can figure out for you. Only other thing I might try is to use a different doser head for the reagent and try that, but if the calibration is working on the current head I would be surprised if that's the cause. I just know that the reagent head seems to need to be the most accurate, as It's dosing the smallest amount of fluid into the kh director.

Just thinking out loud here, based on what you've already done and tried. Odd that these back to back tests aren't the same, or within .1 dkh of eachother.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back