KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they just mini zip ties and then used a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten the zip ties.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let the PH probe sit in RODI for 5 hours and then calibrated it again. No improvement unfortunately.

The PH value starts at 1.8 and increases to around 7.9 when the water sample is added. During the reagent add phase the PH value only drops to around 7.7. During the waste water removal phase, the PH value drops all the way back to around 1.8.

What is the typical PH value you all see during your reagent addition phase?
Chris // I replied to your email a couple of days ago. Did you receive it? Maybe you spamboxed me again :p
—marco

Derek Clifford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am intetested in setting up a KH director to run and control Triton dosing.
I currently do not have any GHL equipment. What is the minimum I need? A kh director + standalone doser 2.1 4 way + slave doser 2.1 4 way?
With the above could I used a spare dosing pump to run ATO?

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do not have any GHL equipment. What is the minimum I need? A kh director + standalone doser 2.1 4 way + slave doser 2.1 4 way?

Triton requires 4 parts to be dosed equally, i am not sure if kh director with ghl doser can do this. Someone please verify this?

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely can. from the KH Director manual (pg35)

upload_2018-7-19_10-44-58.png

Here's the screen where you set it up. Currently mine is only setup to dose ALK solution from pump 4. With an additional Doser 2.1, you could configure additional pumps for the other 3 solutions for Triton method.

upload_2018-7-19_10-48-14.png

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes you would need a stand alone doser 2.1 with kh director and another doser 2.1 slave. You can dose all the triton elements equally based off of the alkalinity reading or seperately based on your own schedule. Depending on how much water per day you evaporate, the extra 2.1 head can certainly work as an ato. You will probably need an optical sensor and a float switch, or at least one or the other. Also you would need 2 pab cables (whatever length works for your setup) and a level switch splitter cable. That should get you setup how you are trying to do it.

Derek Clifford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you would need a stand alone doser 2.1 with kh director and another doser 2.1 slave. You can dose all the triton elements equally based off of the alkalinity reading or seperately based on your own schedule. Depending on how much water per day you evaporate, the extra 2.1 head can certainly work as an ato. You will probably need an optical sensor and a float switch, or at least one or the other. Also you would need 2 pab cables (whatever length works for your setup) and a level switch splitter cable. That should get you setup how you are trying to do it.
Thanks for the reply. The ATO is just an idea, I already have a tunze osmilator. I am interested in the capabilty of the doser 2.1.
I just have to justify, to myself, the cost of the kh director setup. I am not having a go at the cost of the GHL. I am wondering if any cost for this type of equipment is value to me with a 350 l system with a mixed reef setup.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. The ATO is just an idea, I already have a tunze osmilator. I am interested in the capabilty of the doser 2.1.
I just have to justify, to myself, the cost of the kh director setup. I am not having a go at the cost of the GHL. I am wondering if any cost for this type of equipment is value to me with a 350 l system with a mixed reef setup.

That's a tough question to answer. For me personally it's the best thing I've done to any of my tanks since adding an ato way back when. Alkalinity is the key to a tanks stability imo. The other major elements will generally fall in line based on a good alk reading when using a balanced 2 part, any major salt for waterchanges, or even the triton/ati methods. Now I occasionally test phosphate, but the kh director keeps my tank very well balanced and gives me ease of mind plus more time to do other stuff.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with @WWIII with the ATO, AWC(which is not required but doing it anyway) and the KH has been a great for both my tanks. I am dosing 4 part Triton on my living room tank and my new dining room tank is 3 part aquaforest both were first adjusted for consumption and then the KH is doing the fine adjustment. I test both tanks once a week for aklinity, every two weeks for CA and Mag, once a month for ammonia, NO3. No2 and Po4.

It is a great to not have to worry about aklinity and the stability the KH units have done just that. I am staying right at 7.5 on the aquaforest tank and 8.3 on the Triton tank and it is automatic for me I do not have to make minor adjustments or watch it doing it for me. The only time I adjust is when new coral are going in, and it a adjustment on the base doser normal dosing parameters.

I also placed safety measures in place also if the PH swings wildly the 3 part or 4 part dosers will stop dosing :).

I am not going to say a must have, but it has made life easier and I believe the coral are much happier with the stable KH.

Last edited:

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, could the KH Director rub a calcium reactor? I am tired of mixing balling salts (using aqua forest and my tank never looked so good) as consumption is at 400ml per day of each...

Not sure if it would actually bring much benefit as I would expect the KH would control the solenoid of the CO2 instead of using the PH probe in he reactor...

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I read in the instructions that the KH Director will actually control the CaRX adjusting the PH set-point inside the reactor by a fixed factor (which I believe you input) depending on your KH readings. So for example if you tell it to adjust PH set point by 0,2 for every 0,2 change in Alk (and you also the max and min range of adjustment you want say for example to keep the PH within 6,5-7,0).

So if you set your nominal KH point to 7,5 if it gets to 7,3 it will automatically reduce the pH set point by 0,2 inside the reactor, thus dissolving the media faster.

However, my main question is that you now have just a fixed ph set point instead of a range, which means the solenoid will likely be constantly opening and shutting to keep the PH at that level inside the reactor... won’t this destroy the solenoid?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is probably the shortest answer to a very long winded question [emoji23]!!!

Thanks. My only other question is given my doser 2.1 is a master, would I have to change it to a slave and control with the P4 to be able to use the KH Director to control the PH of the reactor...

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since we are on the one word answer kick... Can a stand alone maxi doser control a slave kh director(doser)?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back