KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL doser waiting for the KH Director ;Joyful

20170602_023010.jpg

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this news was initially exciting - looks like it's been quickly superceeded by Netupe's announcement of the Trident which will monitor alk, mag and calcium....all for sub $500.

I would be interested to hear from GHL as to their future product development. I recall Matthias mentioning a calcium monitor but that it was too expensive.

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this news was initially exciting - looks like it's been quickly superceeded by Netupe's announcement of the Trident which will monitor alk, mag and calcium....all for sub $500.

I would be interested to hear from GHL as to their future product development. I recall Matthias mentioning a calcium monitor but that it was too expensive.

Personally calcium and mag are gimmicks, I run sps dominant and they MIGHT get checked bimonthly. The cool factor is the only reason I would ever need such a thing.

And I don't recall the price being sub 500. Pretty sure they said 500-600, PLUS the Neptune brain to run it, for some reason people seem to leave that out in their pricing.

So you're really looking at 1200-1300. Can't leave something out of the price when it's required to function.

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally calcium and mag are gimmicks, I run sps dominant and they MIGHT get checked bimonthly. The cool factor is the only reason I would ever need such a thing.

And I don't recall the price being sub 500. Pretty sure they said 500-600, PLUS the Neptune brain to run it, for some reason people seem to leave that out in their pricing.

So you're really looking at 1200-1300. Can't leave something out of the price when it's required to function.

Glad to hear you're only worried about alk.

Personally I would rather have all 3 checks automated for my SPS tank. I would hold off on investing in an alk 'only' checker, if there was something on the horizon that could control all my balling lite dosing for a similar price.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Personally I would rather have all 3 checks automated for my SPS tank. I would hold off on investing in an alk 'only' checker, if there was something on the horizon that could control all my balling lite dosing for a similar price.
Its all still based on alk consumption, so is this going to change the dosers automatically to correct each individual component? Or only based of kh

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never said I wasn't worried. What I said was they rarely get tested. Most dosing systems (triton included) have you check alk and maintain a constant dose among all parts that are being dosed. So testing once every couple months and rarely seeing calc and mag move is enough to say that a constant monitor is slightly gimmicky. I'd be surprised to see someone who checks mag and calc daily, or someone that is super stressed if they don't.

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This isn't true, however it is the same case with the KH director. If you already have a doser you are most likely using it to dose so then you will need to purchase the director an another doser so you are looking at around $1k. If you don't already own a doser then you need to purchase two doser and the director looking at around $1500 total.

Same with Neptune. If you already have the new apex and DOS then you only need to spend 5-600 but if you are just getting into the controller world the you obviously need to spend a lot more.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just have a KH Director and a four(4) pump doser, fourth dosing pump can be used to supply KH boosting liquids.
I hope that with one of the 3 pumps which are connected to the KH Directir you can already adjust KH and use the 4th for Ca dosing.

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't true, however it is the same case with the KH director. If you already have a doser you are most likely using it to dose so then you will need to purchase the director an another doser so you are looking at around $1k. If you don't already own a doser then you need to purchase two doser and the director looking at around $1500 total.

Same with Neptune. If you already have the new apex and DOS then you only need to spend 5-600 but if you are just getting into the controller world the you obviously need to spend a lot more.

Weird, I didn't say anything not true in my post. The KH director + standalone doser is "significantly under 1k." This also doesn't force you down GHL tech path, so it's literally for everyone. This is just the cost of testing of course. Anyone can dose two part as they see fit.

In the trident thread itself, there's already a massive amount of complaints from Neptune fans themselves about it not working with classic, so again, you're looking at 1300+ for just testing. You can't just exclude the cost of a new Apex just because you already own one, it still factors into the ACTUAL cost of the testing if there's a requirement of it. I could do the exact same in the GHL case if you already own a doser that you have spare heads on. Not everyone even has a controller, and Neptune's product literally forces you into it, just to test, since I recall seeing a video already saying it doesn't alter dosing at this point.

So people who are on the outside looking in to both companies so to speak, JUST to get testing done. Apex = 1300+. GHL = Somewhere under 1k. Those are the costs, and there's nothing "not true" about it.

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the posts above from @daelie
With a Calcium Reactor or dosing regimen like Triton, or Two-Part like ESV Bionic, you should very rarely ever have to test for Calc and Mag.
I test Alk once every 2-3 days under normal circumstances. The others... I couldn't even tell you without looking it up.

I was shocked to hear mention of the Trident testing 4x per day. Why so excessive?! Luckily Terrence said you could change the frequency.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the posts above from @daelie
With a Calcium Reactor or dosing regimen like Triton, or Two-Part like ESV Bionic, you should very rarely ever have to test for Calc and Mag.
I test Alk once every 2-3 days under normal circumstances. The others... I couldn't even tell you without looking it up.

I was shocked to hear mention of the Trident testing 4x per day. Why so excessive?! Luckily Terrence said you could change the frequency.

Exactly my point.
Everything is based on KH anyway and most are dosed equally.
I run AF full line and basically only test ALK every couple days, set my ghl doser based on that as it all lines up.

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, I didn't say anything not true in my post. The KH director + standalone doser is "significantly under 1k." This also doesn't force you down GHL tech path, so it's literally for everyone. This is just the cost of testing of course. Anyone can dose two part as they see fit.

In the trident thread itself, there's already a massive amount of complaints from Neptune fans themselves about it not working with classic, so again, you're looking at 1300+ for just testing. You can't just exclude the cost of a new Apex just because you already own one, it still factors into the ACTUAL cost of the testing if there's a requirement of it. I could do the exact same in the GHL case if you already own a doser that you have spare heads on. Not everyone even has a controller, and Neptune's product literally forces you into it, just to test, since I recall seeing a video already saying it doesn't alter dosing at this point.

So people who are on the outside looking in to both companies so to speak, JUST to get testing done. Apex = 1300+. GHL = Somewhere under 1k. Those are the costs, and there's nothing "not true" about it.

Perhaps I should have proofread my message before posting it lol. I meant to say this is true not this isn't true!

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't necessarily true either. There are thousands of reefers who own perfectly fine Apex controllers but will have to ditch that $700 controller to buy a new one. Now that Neptune has a product that might be a strong enough enticement to get people to dump their old controller I can see the sale prices dropping off even more. This means you won't get as much in return when you sell your now "undesirable" controller.

Also, from what I have heard there is no requirement to own a DOS. The Trident is supposedly all encompassing except for the dirty water container you will now need to make room for in your cabinet. It is being marketed as a tester from what I can tell.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back