KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked to hear mention of the Trident testing 4x per day. Why so excessive?! Luckily Terrence said you could change the frequency.
you were shocked to hear they would recommend a crazy amount of testing so that they can continue selling reagents? That is where the real money will be. Think about how many Apex users will now gladly spend $240+ per year to test their Alk all day long. Ludicrous if you ask me but Neptune has never been afraid to stick their hands in your wallet.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“A question we get a lot from our existing customers is, ‘Look I’ve got a Doser 2, can I use this?’ Absolutely. We’re making this compatible for you, you’ve already invested the money, you’re loyal customers, we want to get you up and going. You know, it’s something we believe in very heavily.”

Ha ha, dig at Neptune...

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't necessarily true either. There are thousands of reefers who own perfectly fine Apex controllers but will have to ditch that $700 controller to buy a new one. Now that Neptune has a product that might be a strong enough enticement to get people to dump their old controller I can see the sale prices dropping off even more. This means you won't get as much in return when you sell your now "undesirable" controller.

Also, from what I have heard there is no requirement to own a DOS. The Trident is supposedly all encompassing except for the dirty water container you will now need to make room for in your cabinet. It is being marketed as a tester from what I can tell.

Well I did say if you have the NEW apex so that is true. Obviously if you don't have the new Apex then you need to get that if you want the trident. The DOS is not necessary if you only want to test but if you want to change your dosing based on the results then you need the DOS as that is the only doser the apex can control as far as changing the amount to dose.

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the new Apex and I also have the GHL doser 2.1 so Im considering both products. I could care less for Cal and Mag so Im leaning towards the GHL director as of now.... Just wanting to find out the cost of the unit and reagents. I will also need to purchase another doser 2.1 to go with the KH director since Im using 3 of the 4 heads on my current doser 2.1

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just have a KH Director and a four(4) pump doser, fourth dosing pump can be used to supply KH boosting liquids.
You are forgetting calcium.... most people dose alk and ca at equal rate so you need a total of 5 heads.

I hope that with one of the 3 pumps which are connected to the KH Directir you can already adjust KH and use the 4th for Ca dosing.
You need 3 heads for reagent, waste and tank water. Then you need 2 more for alk and ca.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need 3 heads for reagent, waste and tank water. Then you need 2 more for alk and ca.

Yes, saw that on the video now.
Luckily I still have the 4 head stand alone and 4 head slave doser.
Thank you for the information.

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are forgetting calcium.... most people dose alk and ca at equal rate so you need a total of 5 heads.

I didn't happen to forget.. It makes more sense to acquire a four(4) head doser for the purpose of monitoring and controlling Alkalinity. Obviously you're going to need additional dosing pumps for other dosing solutions..

Psymon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks reefwiser for the kh director video.

I am a little shocked that GHL are so quiet about pricing, you only get the <1000 comment.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in seeing if you can program other dosing pump heads to follow the Alk adjustment, I use triton and need all 4 bottles to adjust in line with each other, I'm hoping there will be some simple program that will achieve this. Also regarding the probe, I'm hoping there is some easy way to get the water out of the probe chamber as I don't want water spilling into my electrics cabinet every time I have to pull the probe out of the holder to calibrate it..

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have a 2.1SA, can you buy a slave to run with the KH Director or do you need another SA?

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have a 2.1SA, can you buy a slave to run with the KH Director or do you need another SA?
Yes, that is correct.
You need either a SA Doser2/2.1 or a PL3/4 ... additional heads can be added via either Slave or SA(turned to slave) chassis. :)

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is correct.
You need either a SA Doser2/2.1 or a PL3/4 ... additional heads can be added via either Slave or SA(turned to slave) chassis. :)

Ok so as long as there is one "brain", I'm good. I have 2.1SA so I could purchase a KHD and a four pump slave to run the KHD. Cool :)

... Then another one to dose additives :D

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did say if you have the NEW apex so that is true. Obviously if you don't have the new Apex then you need to get that if you want the trident. The DOS is not necessary if you only want to test but if you want to change your dosing based on the results then you need the DOS as that is the only doser the apex can control as far as changing the amount to dose.
There are others that you can modify the dosing amount besides DOS. The BRS dosers are one example.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in seeing if you can program other dosing pump heads to follow the Alk adjustment, I use triton and need all 4 bottles to adjust in line with each other, I'm hoping there will be some simple program that will achieve this. Also regarding the probe, I'm hoping there is some easy way to get the water out of the probe chamber as I don't want water spilling into my electrics cabinet every time I have to pull the probe out of the holder to calibrate it..
There would/will be no liquid spilling :)

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So if you wanted to monitor alkalinity and automatically dose alkalinity then for 'significantly less than 1,000 USD' you could do that with GHL or with Apex you'd need the new controller (Classic owner here), Trident and a DOS... And GHL made it work with their older Profilux 3 as well as the new Profilux 4, which doesn't force you to use their dosers... A somewhat different business models it would seem.

Last edited:

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we going to be able to automatically adjust our dosing amounts of alk based on the readings of the KH director?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we going to be able to automatically adjust our dosing amounts of alk based on the readings of the KH director?

The KHD can be configured to dose a certain amount of Alkalinity if the KH result comes back lower than the set amount. This "extra" dose would help compensate for any ALK decreases.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back