KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This information is already out there, take a look at the product page on our website. The dosing pump that is already assigned as the ALK pump is controlled by the KHD. You do not need yet another ALK dosing pump.Under normal conditions, the dosing schedule you set will run, but if a test comes back with a KH value below the desired value, KHD will tell the assigned pump to dose in addition to the regular dosing schedule.

You can also find more information on how it works, by taking a look at a recent AquaNerd post:
http://aquanerd.com/2017/08/ghl-to-release-kh-director-to-monitor-and-dose-alk.html

There's also a video posted by Reefwiser with information on page 6.

Additional info will be released soon.

And what happens if the test value comes above the desired value...? I presume... nothing? Not much control than...

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seen this posted on the ghl Facebook page, even better news it can control multiple KH channels so those of us that use triton can dose all 4 channels based on KH..
IMG_0457.PNG

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still like to see this question addressed, as I too would like clarification. My plan is to use Aquaforest balling method but the idea behind any alk monitor is that you don't have to keep adjusting your levels manually, however, it seems in this case we absolutely will have to.

The only way around it so to speak that I can see is to underdose the balling method so that the KH Director will make the compensation, however, then we are also underdosing the other elements in the balling method.

I honestly am wondering how useful this is for those who use these balling methods. Doesn't seem to help that much, or am I missing something?

I would also like to see the ability for the software to be able to control multiple dosing heads in unison, so doses are happening in equal amounts.
Yes, I think you are missing something. The way you are dosing or will dose AF will not change. You keep doing that exactly as planned. The KH Director is there to test KH to make sure your plan (dosing schedule already in place) is keeping up or dosing too much. If it is not keeping up then it will add Alk to get it back to the specified range. You can set up an alert to let you know this is happening so that you can ADJUST your plan/dosing schedule to make up for this in an ongoing manner. The next time KHD tests it should see the Alk is in the correct range and being controlled with your dosing system.

A lot of people are so worried about dosing just the Alk and not dosing all their other components in equal parts. If you did not have the KHD and your Alk was not keeping up (and everything else stays stable) you would just add a little Alk to get back in range. That is all this is doing. If you notice the KHD is having to supplement constantly then that tells you the amount you are dosing on a regular basis is not sufficient. Make adjustments to your dosing system to account for the increase in Alk. Then the next time KHD runs a test your Alk levels will be stable and the KHD will not have to dose anything.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think you are missing something. The way you are dosing or will dose AF will not change. You keep doing that exactly as planned. The KH Director is there to test KH to make sure your plan (dosing schedule already in place) is keeping up or dosing too much. If it is not keeping up then it will add Alk to get it back to the specified range. You can set up an alert to let you know this is happening so that you can ADJUST your plan/dosing schedule to make up for this in an ongoing manner. The next time KHD tests it should see the Alk is in the correct range and being controlled with your dosing system.

A lot of people are so worried about dosing just the Alk and not dosing all their other components in equal parts. If you did not have the KHD and your Alk was not keeping up (and everything else stays stable) you would just add a little Alk to get back in range. That is all this is doing. If you notice the KHD is having to supplement constantly then that tells you the amount you are dosing on a regular basis is not sufficient. Make adjustments to your dosing system to account for the increase in Alk. Then the next time KHD runs a test your Alk levels will be stable and the KHD will not have to dose anything.

I think you're missing something. The way balling methods are dosed is in equal proportions. If the KH Director only managed ALK, the other elements would eventually become unbalanced. Luckily, they've solved the issue with allowing multiple pumps to be dosed based on the ALK measurement.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're missing something. The way balling methods are dosed is in equal proportions. If the KH Director only managed ALK, the other elements would eventually become unbalanced. Luckily, they've solved the issue with allowing multiple pumps to be dosed based on the ALK measurement.
Yes. This. It's all been cleared up. :)

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just about to pre-order one only to discover AEFW in my sps tank, might not be any need for it any time soon. ;Rage

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I didn't miss anything. You are correct that when you are "dosing" per your schedule you would keep them all at the same level. This is not true when trying to get one level back in line. The other elements do not, and will not, get out of level. If your KHD is dosing Alk daily to keep up with consumption then you are doing something WRONG. You are not making changes to your dosing schedule.

As an example, when someone decides to start a balling schedule they test the big three. If calcium is low, say 350 and other three are fine, then the recommendation is to dose ONLY calcium until it gets in line. At such a time you then begin dosing all 3 in equal parts. Let's say a month down the line you test and notice calcium is off by 50 points again, you don't dose all 3 to get calcium back in line, you JUST dose calcium to get it back in line. At such point you either resume previous dosing schedule OR you modify your dosing schedule to increase all 3 to make sure your calcium is keeping up.

This is exactly the same as the KHD. It is not supposed to be dosing Alk to your tank regularly. If it is happening regularly then that means you are incapable of understanding the data you are receiving from the monitor. If you find that it is dosing regularly IN ADDITION to your normal dosing schedule to keep up with Alk consumption then you should re-evaluate your dosing schedule and possibly increase the amount you are dosing (for all 3).

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seen this posted on the ghl Facebook page, even better news it can control multiple KH channels so those of us that use triton can dose all 4 channels based on KH..
IMG_0457.PNG

After seeing the screen shot ordered. Thanks for posting the image answered a few of my questions.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I didn't miss anything. You are correct that when you are "dosing" per your schedule you would keep them all at the same level. This is not true when trying to get one level back in line. The other elements do not, and will not, get out of level. If your KHD is dosing Alk daily to keep up with consumption then you are doing something WRONG. You are not making changes to your dosing schedule.

As an example, when someone decides to start a balling schedule they test the big three. If calcium is low, say 350 and other three are fine, then the recommendation is to dose ONLY calcium until it gets in line. At such a time you then begin dosing all 3 in equal parts. Let's say a month down the line you test and notice calcium is off by 50 points again, you don't dose all 3 to get calcium back in line, you JUST dose calcium to get it back in line. At such point you either resume previous dosing schedule OR you modify your dosing schedule to increase all 3 to make sure your calcium is keeping up.

This is exactly the same as the KHD. It is not supposed to be dosing Alk to your tank regularly. If it is happening regularly then that means you are incapable of understanding the data you are receiving from the monitor. If you find that it is dosing regularly IN ADDITION to your normal dosing schedule to keep up with Alk consumption then you should re-evaluate your dosing schedule and possibly increase the amount you are dosing (for all 3).
You are only partially correct, for the example you describe above for low calcium, Triton would recommend a remedial dose given in addition to bring calcium back up to level, this is given seperatly to your dosing schedule and only contains calcium and no trace elements and is added over a few days manually. Your daily dosing amounts would not change for any of the elements otherwise you would lose control over the others, whilst trying to compensate for the Calcium. Obviously if this is happening regularly then something is out of whack with your system as all 4 bottles should be dosed in equal amounts, which thankfully the KH director can do. It could also if you chose to dose in different amounts, and have diferent amounts of correction, on each dosing channel, but that's not what should happen with a balanced triton setup. Which is why I posted the picture from GHL as several of us using triton asked for it.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are only partially correct, for the example you describe above for low calcium, Triton would recommend a remedial dose given in addition to bring calcium back up to level, this is given seperatly to your dosing schedule and only contains calcium and no trace elements and is added over a few days manually. Your daily dosing amounts would not change for any of the elements otherwise you would lose control over the others, whilst trying to compensate for the Calcium. Obviously if this is happening regularly then something is out of whack with your system as all 4 bottles should be dosed in equal amounts, which thankfully the KH director can do. It could also if you chose to dose in different amounts, and have diferent amounts of correction, on each dosing channel, but that's not what should happen with a balanced triton setup. Which is why I posted the picture from GHL as several of us using triton asked for it.

I think the difference here is that from one angle the KHD is being viewed as the vehicle to adjust your alk dosing if it strays from your normal dosing. So, in essence a standalone supplement to your regular dosing.

On the other hand, we're looking at the KHD to fully automate alk dosing and in turn for the Triton/AF/balling folks, have the other supplements required for those methods to mimic the alk dosing head that's controlled by the KHD. So, in essence, fully automating ALL dosing based of KHD.

I fall in that second camp, and is what I'm hoping for from the KHD. Though, I would be curious to know how many people are viewing this new piece of equipment as example 'A' vs example 'B'.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the difference here is that from one angle the KHD is being viewed as the vehicle to adjust your alk dosing if it strays from your normal dosing. So, in essence a standalone supplement to your regular dosing.

On the other hand, we're looking at the KHD to fully automate alk dosing and in turn for the Triton/AF/balling folks, have the other supplements required for those methods to mimic the alk dosing head that's controlled by the KHD. So, in essence, fully automating ALL dosing based of KHD.

I fall in that second camp, and is what I'm hoping for from the KHD. Though, I would be curious to know how many people are viewing this new piece of equipment as example 'A' vs example 'B'.

I will fall into that "B" camp with AF Balling, but I will be a little patient and constantly testing before full letting the DKH fully adujst all the elements from the KH pump.

It will start out as a fantastic tool to keep KH steady, and eventually keep all the elements we base off in sync.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will fall into that "B" camp with AF Balling, but I will be a little patient and constantly testing before full letting the DKH fully adujst all the elements from the KH pump.

It will start out as a fantastic tool to keep KH steady, and eventually keep all the elements we base off in sync.
I too, will be in the B camp, which is why we sought clarification on controlling multiple dosing heads based off the KH one.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I couldn't agree more, I will only be using it to monitor until I get a feel for ALK variance, not that I'm predicting much as I add it in 24 doses over the day.
If I understood the Facebook page explanation correctly, if it picks up regular additional dose adjustments it will recalculate your daily dosing to compensate accordingly. But I'm not 100% certain I've interpreted there meaning correctly, but if that's correct then that would be real automation.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back