KH Guardian Accuracy

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, it is easy to do an accurate alkalinity test (assuming you can measure volume or mass accurately, and have a pH meter) if you want to evaluate the accuracy of this device or any kit.

I describe it here:

A DIY Alkalinity Test: By Randy Holmes-Farley - REEFEDITION
http://www.reefedition.com/a-diy-alkalinity-test-by-randy-holmes-farley/
I have actually performed the exact test to verify which of the salifert or Hanna were correct and that's how I found out that salifert was the one being closest. It's a great test procedure and good to have the ability to run any time...

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually performed the exact test to verify which of the salifert or Hanna were correct and that's how I found out that salifert was the one being closest. It's a great test procedure and good to have the ability to run any time...
Salifert is for sure a very suitable test to being a reference towards other methods/machines/tests, as the Salifert is exactly that sort of comparing test that Randy suggests. The Salifert hava an acid of 0.022N(that is not a secret, it is easy to calculate that from the included table). The only weak point is the color change, and as I have done around 1000 salifert tests last months I can tell you that you shall stop titrating at the absolut very first colour change, thus when it turns violet. If you measure the pH of that water, when turning to violet, you will find that is is very near around 4.2, thus the end titration point (approx) for HCO3 in marine-water. So when I for instance compare Hanna checker and Salifert I for sure rely more on Salifert:)

OP
OP
tdg0910

tdg0910

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is for sure a very suitable test to being a reference towards other methods/machines/tests, as the Salifert is exactly that sort of comparing test that Randy suggests. The Salifert hava an acid of 0.022N(that is not a secret, it is easy to calculate that from the included table). The only weak point is the color change, and as I have done around 1000 salifert tests last months I can tell you that you shall stop titrating at the absolut very first colour change, thus when it turns violet. If you measure the pH of that water, when turning to violet, you will find that is is very near around 4.2, thus the end titration point (approx) for HCO3 in marine-water. So when I for instance compare Hanna checker and Salifert I for sure rely more on Salifert:)
I think of the Salifert endpoint color as more of a "lavender" color, but Jonas is correct that if you wait until it turns more orangish/pinkish, then you have overshot.

traxxonwaxx99

210 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has anyone had an issue with the KHG reading higher and higher with each test? I ran 5 tests when initially setup. Each came back at 6.9dkh. I have not begun dosing anything yet and over the past 2 days, it’s consistently gone up slowly with each reading and now it says 7.36. Not sure what the problem is.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The continous accuracy of the khg has always been in question. That's why I sent mine back and got an alkatronic

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back