KH Guardian Accuracy

tdg0910

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone's impression of the KHG's accuracy in comparison to other Alkalinity test?

For me, it tests at .3 lower than my Hanna

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested multiple times and received consistent results? 0.3 dKh is not too big of a deviation, assuming your Hanna Checker is 100% accurate. If the results are precise, I would be content with a 0.3 dKh difference.

Psymon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checker are not 100% accurate either.
If you are really concerned I would recommend you check alk with multiple tests, Hanna, Red Sea, salifert, nyos, tritration tests and then compare the averages to your KH guardian.
And calculate a little for human error :)

OP
OP
tdg0910

tdg0910

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not concerned my results and I'm not saying that Hanna is correct... if I get to the point where I feel it's a problem, I can just offset the KHG. I've stopped daily testing with my hanna because I'm fine with what the KHG is showing. I'm just interested in seeing what others are seeing with whatever testing method they use.

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna comes consistently higher than my Salifert by as much as 0.5 some rare occasions. What I have observed is that the older the reagent the higher the deviation (which I think is a known issue with these reagents/testers). A typical deviation is ~0.2-0.3 dKh

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna post there but I didn't want to high jack is post. I'll pm some of the folks there as well. Thanks!
Rick is a cool guy. He won't mind sharing his findings.
Really it's why he started the discussion.

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in my hands Hanna seems to have low accuracy but high precision.
The precision is more important than accuracy so a comparing concerning precision is maybe even more of interest. Thus the ability to give the same result when measuring on same water with subsequent measurements:)

Last edited:

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same variance but I'm going with the Guardian as I was experiencing wide variances on the hanna .If your guardian is set at the levels you want you can always up it slightly but its the consistency that matters.

Bill

OP
OP
tdg0910

tdg0910

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm defaulting to the KHG as well... I'm consistently about .3 off... my set point is 7.7 on the KHG, I'm hitting 7.6 consistently on my tests.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TD
Whats your dosing amount and the No of minutes. Do you use a calc reactor or is it supplementing a doser.
Bill

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the guardian time set at( 30 to 240 mins) and the MLQ amount

littlebangkok82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the accuracy of the khg has been questionable since it was released. The claims of accuracy were believed to be mixed up with the resolution(how many decimals it displays) set it to run every 30 minutes, then off the dosing, and watch the numbers bounce around. The new update and additional decimal useage mag of reduced some of that. But continius testing acciracy defiantly not as accurate as claimed

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TD
Its trial and error to set at the exact level if you are stable at 0.3 that's great it will also depend on the tank consumption of KH depending whats in there so everybody will be different. I am using a dastaco and my tank is crammed with sps and it was struggling to cope the guardian I hope will take the edge off and give me more stability with the added dosing and I have it set at 60mins 50mlq for the time being until I find a level.
Bill

PS- the hanna kits were all over the place no accuracy so I will stick to the guardian for the minute.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tdg0910

tdg0910

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you guys started asking questions today. It made me double check my numbers and I realized I was under dosing, locked at 7.5-7.6. My MLQ was max dosing and it just happened to be keeping it steady.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy
I have a pinpoint probe and the aquamedic computer monitoring my tank and see the variations and they compare to the KH swings .I have purchased the Guardian to see if I can get the tank more stable its early days for me as I'm just setting it up.
Bill

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back