KH Guardian: Automatic Alkalinity Controller- My Experiences

Ken Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my unit up and running for about 2 days now... but I just realized I have a little bottle with a stir bar in it left over from installation. Am I supposed to do something with this little bottle or stir bar? It was not mentioned in the user manual or setup video from coralvue.
I believe that stir bar is teflon magnetic stirrer pill which it need to put into the mixing chamber to assist the mixing reaction. I wonder without it, u still can get decent kH data reading?

Ken Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have the corals reacted?
Actually i have my dosing pump already dialed in, so my tank kH is stabilize around 8.2 to 8.4 region. My KHG monitor is just for insurance & to understand how my kH drift throughout the day. More important i always outstation for work, kH is one of the most important parameter to monitor; any huge kH swing will have instant ill effect on SPS; which i have suffered couple times before when Murphy visited my tank.
Whenever u achieved stable kH, u can see better SPS PE & growth (as Ca consumption is more than before), this is my observation on my tank.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need two longer ethernet cords between my KHG and AIM. It looks like the cords provided are Cat 6, I have some Cat 5 laying around, can I use Cat 5 in their place?

Norcalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting one of these. Been slowly reading through this. Was going to wait for the Trident but after Neptune has taken over a week to get me a replacement for a brand new out of the box dos that never powered up, I am done with them.
People who owns these, are you happy with your purchase? If you could do it again would you buy the same, or one of the other monitors? Thanks for your replys

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only had mine for about 2 weeks but love it so far. For $600 everyone who has more than a few SPS they care about should have one. Considering the cost of all the other life support on my system, small price to pay for one of the biggest causes of tank crashes. It has given me a lot of insight so far on swings throughout the day and those resulting from things like water changes.

Who knows when the trident will be released. And in addition to the actual trident, you will need to get a new apex and a dos to get equivalent functionality. So you are actually looking at basically double the cost of KHG.

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two and am still happy with them. They are not indestructible and will require a bit of work now and then, but hey, still beats testing alk manually every couple hours! :D

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, what does the KH Guardian do if there is a power outage?
what does it do after power is restored,
1. does test that was missed
2. sits idle till next test time

aslo can you set your own time of testing?

thank you

Last edited:

Ken Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, what does the KH Guardian do if there is a power outage?
what does it do after power is restored,
1. does test that was missed
2. sits idle till next test time

aslo can you set your own time of testing?

thank you
The countdown for the next test will restart once the power is restored. Basically the previous intended test will be missed.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so what i was thinking is possible.
i dont want 6 tests per day. i was looking at more like 3 per day. which is not possible through the guardian itself. but there is a way.
i was thinking to plug the unit into apex outlet and program it to come on say at 8pm so it will conduct a test at 12am(mid night) then have it come on again at 4am to do a test at 8am and finally come on at noon to conduct a test a 4pm.
you think this will work?

Ken Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so what i was thinking is possible.
i dont want 6 tests per day. i was looking at more like 3 per day. which is not possible through the guardian itself. but there is a way.
i was thinking to plug the unit into apex outlet and program it to come on say at 8pm so it will conduct a test at 12am(mid night) then have it come on again at 4am to do a test at 8am and finally come on at noon to conduct a test a 4pm.
you think this will work?
I think it will work that way. But not sure if long run ON/OFF so many times daily may hurt the KHG. Risk on your own. Actually i also just want to do 2~4 test daily. But now i get used to it 6X daily. It is reasonable, about 3~4g reagent (after mix up with RODI) is used each time & i dump back the waste back to DT without any ill effect so far. So just let it run that way. Extra data point for reference is great for me.
At the end of the day, it is just about reagent cost..

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true reagent is not that expensive. And you're probably right turning on off about 6 to 8 times a day might cause some issues with the hardware.
Thank you for all the help and info.

Ken Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, my KHG pill always stuck at the left side of the reaction chamber, causing the result to be off. Do u guys have any experience on this & how to solve it?
I also realize that actually there is 2 pills inside the chamber, i removed 1 pill, it won't work.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is boxed up and on the way back to CoralVue for “recalibration”. I started getting PW_ERR and SW_ERR and the reaction chamber overflowed a few times. Submitted a ticket and really just wanted them to walk me through some troubleshooting but it is what it is. They didn’t even have me try anything before telling me to send it back.

Ken Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is boxed up and on the way back to CoralVue for “recalibration”. I started getting PW_ERR and SW_ERR and the reaction chamber overflowed a few times. Submitted a ticket and really just wanted them to walk me through some troubleshooting but it is what it is. They didn’t even have me try anything before telling me to send it back.
i believe your issue is the water level sensor in the reaction chamber, just check if it is freely able to move UP/DOWN. How many pill do u have in the chamber? 1 or 2?

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float seems to move freely but who knows. I believe I have one pill in the chamber but my unit came with a second pill in a little bottle.

Ken Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float seems to move freely but who knows. I believe I have one pill in the chamber but my unit came with a second pill in a little bottle.
I put the 2nd pill from the bottle into chamber without realize there s already one pill inside. But I try to remove one pill but it seems not working correctly. So can u n other confirm than 1 pill is working?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back