KH Guardian: Automatic Alkalinity Controller- My Experiences

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about getting a KHG and have a few questions. Without getting another PM1 I wont be able to use the AIM. I am fine with checking the ALK results everyday when doing my feedings though. I plan on testing only every 4 hours at the most, so could I just check to see what my results are for the day manually on the KHG? Whats the main difference between the regular and Pro KHG? @DVC

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about getting a KHG and have a few questions. Without getting another PM1 I wont be able to use the AIM. I am fine with checking the ALK results everyday when doing my feedings though. I plan on testing only every 4 hours at the most, so could I just check to see what my results are for the day manually on the KHG? Whats the main difference between the regular and Pro KHG? @DVC
U could use ur orp connector that’s what I did what’s more important to see your dkh or ORP which means nothing in the grand scheme of things shoot even after you know what your ph (unless u run a calcium reactor) what do you really need to know what it is? Dkh is more important than both in my opinion

DVC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Of course, you can turn off KHG's automatic test function. then only start a test to get results when you need it.
  2. But for security reasons, I don't recommend doing this. Because KHG is not designed to monitor, but to KH guard.
  3. KHG currently has two versions, the M version has only basic monitoring functions, and the C version has automatic control functions.
    Although both are based on titration systems, but KHG has implemented micro-optical computing systems. In addition to the fine analysis of small amounts of drugs, it is also possible to detect abnormal supply of drugs and to sample samples using an alarm, which is not available on other products on the market. Moreover, it consumes very little water and hardly causes any salinity changes.
  4. I highly recommend that you purchase the C version, which currently costs less than $590 + AIM.
  5. After firmware update to V8W.H6A8T, the M version can also have automatic control function. But you need to buy KAMOER plug-in high-flow stepper motor pump, Then your KHG will support the farm scale in an instant. ( https://www.facebook.com/fishstreet.de/posts/207277113217839 )

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DVC, would you mind listing out the steps the unit goes through when performing a test? I’ve watched my unit take a test and sometimes I can’t tell exactly what it’s doing at each phase. Just curious.

DVC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DVC, would you mind listing out the steps the unit goes through when performing a test? I’ve watched my unit take a test and sometimes I can’t tell exactly what it’s doing at each phase. Just curious.

The following is a schematic diagram of the KHG operation process :

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg
15.jpg

DVC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every pH probe will have a sand hole, and the sand hole is used to conduct current and generate voltage.
After the pH probe is placed in the calibration solution, the sand hole needs to be deep into the calibration solution by at least 1cm , otherwise the correction may be incomplete.

We strongly recommend that customers purchase one more pH probe for backup, one for work, the other for thorough cleaning, and then stored in saturated potassium chloride dip solution, and then exchanged every three months, the effect is satisfactory.

pH_Correction_C.jpg

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi DVC, in addition to the recommendation for the pH probe, are there any other preventative maintenance recommendations? I am particularly interested in maintaining the peristaltic pump heads and changing the pump tubing before it fails.

Also, a suggestion. I have noticed that when the unit receives an error during testing, it still outputs a signal to the apex which is a reasonable alkalinity value (in the 7.0 - 8.0 range). What this means is that if my unit has an error, I don’t know it. I wonder if it would be possible (firmware update?) to have the KHG put out a signal either very high or very low in the event of an error, so that it would be immediately obvious something is wrong.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a ph probe from coravue for the khg monitor it is not the same one that came with my unit
395EC5C9-3CD9-46B7-B638-30B49CC105F2.jpeg

Is this ok to use?

Also are u recommending I switch ph probes every three months? Why can’t I re calibrate every three months?

DVC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a ph probe from coravue for the khg monitor it is not the same one that came with my unit
395EC5C9-3CD9-46B7-B638-30B49CC105F2.jpeg

Is this ok to use?

Also are u recommending I switch ph probes every three months? Why can’t I re calibrate every three months?

1. I am sorry that I am unable to assist you in determining if this pH probe can be used. because I don't know its characteristic curve and specifications.
  2. "switch ph probes every three months" and "re calibrate every three months" These are two things.
  3. "switch ph probes every three months" can extend your pH probes and life, as well as maintain good activity.
  4. "re calibrate every three months" only ensures that your pH probes is in the current state of accuracy, but it does not prevent it from starting to slow response and decay.
  5. Hope this information will help you.

DVC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this ok to use?

If you are sure you really want to use it, I will find another way for you, but there is no guarantee that it will work.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are sure you really want to use it, I will find another way for you, but there is no guarantee that it will work.
That’s why I’m asking I bought it from coravue I haven’t used it yet but noticed it looks different

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. I am sorry that I am unable to assist you in determining if this pH probe can be used. because I don't know its characteristic curve and specifications.
  2. "switch ph probes every three months" and "re calibrate every three months" These are two things.
  3. "switch ph probes every three months" can extend your pH probes and life, as well as maintain good activity.
  4. "re calibrate every three months" only ensures that your pH probes is in the current state of accuracy, but it does not prevent it from starting to slow response and decay.
  5. Hope this information will help you.
So by having two and switching them every three months it will extend the life of both probes?

DVC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi DVC, in addition to the recommendation for the pH probe, are there any other preventative maintenance recommendations? I am particularly interested in maintaining the peristaltic pump heads and changing the pump tubing before it fails.

Also, a suggestion. I have noticed that when the unit receives an error during testing, it still outputs a signal to the apex which is a reasonable alkalinity value (in the 7.0 - 8.0 range). What this means is that if my unit has an error, I don’t know it. I wonder if it would be possible (firmware update?) to have the KHG put out a signal either very high or very low in the event of an error, so that it would be immediately obvious something is wrong.

1. I am very happy with your feedback. As our improvement reference.
  2. In fact, you have inspired me a good idea, and I will implement it for these months as thank you.
  3. What else needs to be maintained? Ok, I will write another supplement recently.
  4. As for the error you mentioned, I can't re duplicate it here. Can you specify what the error message is? This will make it easier for me to solve it quickly.

Last edited:

DVC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the URL you provided, I saw the Blue Hat Lab-grade pH probe, She is the one that I have chosen in more than 30 of the pH probes I have used. Great value for money. But , which is different from the one in your photo.
I bought the monitor ph probe 49.99 as that’s what I have. Should I call and ask them? If this is the wrong probe where do you recommend I buy one from

Also when my khg has an error it shows up as 5.0 in my apex

Thank u for the information

Justin

NikoO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating buying some kind of alk monitor. What makes the KHG stand out from the rest and is it worth the price? I have an apex classic so hopefully the two can work together.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DVC

These past three days I have had a chronic problem with a pw_err

My float is always loose never stuck what could be causing this to happen all of the sudden?
2B8860EC-0FBC-4CE0-B631-FF41DD6E6143.jpeg
B3DC808E-4F79-49DA-B61B-3397E65EBAD1.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back